Tire Changer and Balancer

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
This may need moved, but seemed ok to put here....

Very good chance my father and I will be investing in a setup fairly shortly. Not sure on new or used, looking for something worth the money it costs, not just cheapest available.

Looked at new Atlas, used Coats changers.

Debating bubble balancer or spin balancer or both.

Not real sure what would be best for us, but with a half dozen trailers and about 10 vehicles between us, it does not take long to justify spending a couple thousand on equipment that will likely last a lifetime of our minor usage. Might even make us a few bucks on the side if I do some work with them. I previously worked in a mom n pop service station and know the basics. Used old stuff and basic newer changer n balancer, but never a road force kind.

Thinking we need a bead breaker, but that seems fairly standard on newer stuff.

We will have a large shop and big compressor and 220 available when we set em up.

What do you know that i should know to get something worthwhile and fairly priced?

Thanks

Kyle

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Only 220? Call your utility, and tell them to stop being Commies and give you the red-blooded American standard, 240!

Sorry, couldn't help but pick on the misnomer :biggrin:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
IllogicTC said:
Only 220? Call your utility, and tell them to stop being Commies and give you the red-blooded American standard, 240!

Sorry, couldn't help but pick on the misnomer :biggrin:

What are you doing with that, running an easy bake oven, how about some 3 phase 460V

On a serious note, I wish I had the money the invest in the stuff to mount/dismount and balance tires. That being said I did get to use a Road Force one that seemed pretty simple to use, from what I have seen they can be pricey though. Can definitely make money with the equipment. Seeing as you are not running a tire shop though you should be good with some more basic equipment.

Have you price compressors, etc. If budget allows the Kaeser ones are freaking awesome. Quiet, tons of air fast, reliable and cool hearing the mini roots blower spin up. Of course they are more expensive than your basic Campbell Hausfeld, Ingersoll Rand shop style compressors.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
blazinlow89 said:
What are you doing with that, running an easy bake oven, how about some 3 phase 460V

On a serious note, I wish I had the money the invest in the stuff to mount/dismount and balance tires. That being said I did get to use a Road Force one that seemed pretty simple to use, from what I have seen they can be pricey though. Can definitely make money with the equipment. Seeing as you are not running a tire shop though you should be good with some more basic equipment.

Have you price compressors, etc. If budget allows the Kaeser ones are freaking awesome. Quiet, tons of air fast, reliable and cool hearing the mini roots blower spin up. Of course they are more expensive than your basic Campbell Hausfeld, Ingersoll Rand shop style compressors.

And come in a nice yellow paint. If you want to get crazy with your shop air, they have whole systems available with dryers and oilers and all that stuff, as a bundle setup or piece-by-piece. My workplace should look into it, right now we're running a bunch of compressors of assorted makes and the dryer isn't big enough to handle our air requirements :rotfl:

And try 3-phase 480, brah. I might have a sound clip somewhere around here of a 480 3-phase 32HP Dodge/Baldor/Reliance motor spooling up, sounds downright mean.

Now back on topic... if you make a few bucks on it, make sure it's just a "side" thing and not anything too "official," or local/state government will start pawing at you to apply for tax licenses and all this and that. Just keep it at "odd job" or "farmer favor" and it should be hunky dorey. I think the real money bonus will come with long-term savings considering the amount of wheeled objects you have. What's a tire change and balance cost in your area? Every time you use it for this purpose, less running costs (you can be a stink and factor in time, too, but that's a bit much), and over time the system really will pay for itself before you even make a few bucks from your buddies. Just something to think about :thumbsup:

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
It will have 3 phase 480 actually. Getting done right the first time.

Compressor will get its own room. Debating heat in floor. Looking like 40x 60 w couple extra lean-to. Office n bathroom. 3 10x10 doors and couple personelle doors. Already picked up an assymetrical rotary lift.

Being as we have 5 or 6 seperate businesses already. This will be a side thing. Pay enough taxes already.

Cost is easily covered by personal needs. Its 12-20 per tire around here and I buy n sell a few dozen rims n tires a year as is. The ability to mount, dismount, n balance not by hand is something I truly look forward to. Mounting by hand is simple enough but I hate dismounting.

Current thought is buy new changer and stick w simple bubble balancer since for my kinda big ass tires it works as well as spin bslncers. Much more than 35s n spinners don't seem to work as well.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
HARDTRAILZ said:
Office n bathroom.

Office AND bathroom, or office IN bathroom? :rotfl: I know what you meant.

Smart call on segregating the compressor. Keeps internal noise down, and more importantly provides some measure of protection in a failure scenario.

And getting 480 3-phase from the start is a great idea. From there you can get 120, 208, 240, and 480 as different electrical needs arise, and opens your options a bit on all sorts of powered machinery, instead of trying to sift through what you need vs what your connection can support. Same goes for compressor, one of sufficient size along with a receiver tank would allow you plenty of play for pneumatically-operated tools and equipment without worrying to much about too steep of a drop in working pressure.

Will you be building the place yourself or hiring out through a contractor? How about installation of things like the compressed air system? There's tricks on how to help remove water from the system that aren't too expensive - one method is to have long horizontal runs slope a little downward as they go along, and then come to a T-connector, connecting on the side. From there you can have a rise to bring it back up to the top height, say 1-3 feet or so, and a downpipe with a ball valve at the end. If done with copper tubing, which helps cool the air over decent runs, this system can collect some water that may not have been caught by the initial drying system (if installed). You may already know all this... if so, someone else may be able to use that info at least.

This thread seems to be getting more into the shop as a whole rather than the topic, sorry :raspberry:

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Shop is likely year out but I want tire tools asap. I can use them in current lil garage until shop is done, so they are focus at the moment.

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
I think it's a great idea! I've always wanted one for our shop, at the very least a nice changer, wouldn't have to have a balancer. We just don't do enough tire work to justify it though. :frown:

As far as balancers go, I say if you're gonna get one at all go with a spin balancer, sooo much more precise and just generally better. I'm not at all discounting a bubble balancer that's set up correctly and run by someone who knows what they're doing, but it's just the antiquated way of doing it. Think 15 year old computer with ancient Windows and Microsoft programs vs. new laptop with whatever the heck the newest version of Microsoft programs is. Both will allow you to create documents and make slide shows, but nobody's gonna argue about which is better.

EDIT: re-read your first post and saw you debating both. that could work well as you could use the bubble balancer for ATV or tractor tires, and also as a rough-in for tires before spin balancing.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Not sure i want to run beads in the car or van.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evenson1

Members Online