Tie Rods, Struts and Alignment?

eightshot627

Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
The inside edges of my front tires are wearing fast. I have a lot of play in the steering I’m just going to replace both inner and out tie rod ends. Also my TB is a 2002 and it dives while braking and wallows cornering. I want to replace the struts and springs. I have been thinking of a set of Bilsteins and MOOG 81110, 375lbs springs. I want a much firmer ride without a change in ride height.

Questions?
1. If I plan to do both of the above do I have to get it re-aligned if I wait to do the struts after I do the tie rods and get it aligned?

2. Inner tie rod boots, re-use or get new? If re-use than where do you get clamps?

3. Struts/ springs. What other parts should I replace if I’m replacing the struts and springs.

4. Is there anything else I should look at with the inside wear issue?

Thanks,
Walt

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
1. If I plan to do both of the above do I have to get it re-aligned if I wait to do the struts after I do the tie rods and get it aligned?

It depends on how long between doing both. If it's only a week or two and you do the tie rods first AND eyeball align them, you should be ok. Any longer than that and I'd ask the shop that does the alignment if you can bring it back to check it after doing the rest of the work...they may fix it if it needs if for free, or not.

2. Inner tie rod boots, re-use or get new? If re-use than where do you get clamps?

Get new. AFAIK you get the clamps when you get the new boots.

3. Struts/ springs. What other parts should I replace if I’m replacing the struts and springs.

Unless the springs are damaged, there's no need to replace them. The diving is worn out shocks...save your money for the strut mounts instead.

4. Is there anything else I should look at with the inside wear issue?

Not really, AFAIK, but it can't hurt to check all your bushings for the control arms especially as the uppers adjust the caster.

I may very well be wrong on the last one and not 100% with the springs, but I don't know what your driving mission is, so I'm taking it that you don't do any hardcore wheeling.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
eightshot627 said:
Is there anything else I should look at with the inside wear issue?

Check your lower ball joints. I had some negative camber in which the tire rides more on the inside and the ball joints were worn.

Raise the front wheel by the lower control arm, then use a prybar under the tire and lift up, observe the ball joint movement.

Here's a thread where I was shown how to check, my vid shows excessive wear.

http://gmtnation.com/f77/proper-procedure-check-lower-ball-joints-4141/

eightshot627

Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
gmcman said:
Check your lower ball joints. I had some negative camber in which the tire rides more on the inside and the ball joints were worn.

Raise the front wheel by the lower control arm, then use a prybar under the tire and lift up, observe the ball joint movement.

Here's a thread where I was shown how to check, my vid shows excessive wear.

http://gmtnation.com/f77/proper-procedure-check-lower-ball-joints-4141/

Read your post and checkout the video. With the video even I could check the ball joints. I jacked it up by the LCA and lifted up on the tire with no movement. The ball joints look like they were replaced, I could read MOOG on the boots.

Thanks,
Walt

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
04envoyxlv8

Members Online