Tie Rod Ends and....what else?

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
In changing my front differential fluid this weekend, I discovered that my tie rod ends are shot. I'm approaching 100k, so my question is what's the best bang for my buck 'as long as I'm in there'.

Upper Ball Joints? Lower Ball Joints? Control Arms.?

Lots of options, and I don't really want to break the bank. I also don't want to tear it all apart again in a few thousand more miles.

Any advice and experience is welcome.

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Check ball joints, if they are good I wouldn't bother changing them. The lowers are a pain. Check bushing for upper and lower control arms, check sway bar links. Check inner tie rods. How are the struts? Check 4wd disconnect outer bearings (if you can moved the CV shaft around where the it enters the disconnect the outer bearings are shot)

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
The tie rod ends were the only obvious issues. I thought about doing the upper ball joints while I was at it, they don't seem too difficult. I was debating the LCA, but then I started to question the convenience of while I'm at it versus the cost of the parts.

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
I go with the theory of if it ain't broke don't fix it. But if bushings/ball joints are heavily worn that will mess up your new alignment..

Factory lower balljoints can be a pain, but if the bushings are worn on the arms it may be easier to just replace the whole arm as new balljoint comes with it.

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
Did more looking tonight, looks like the lower ball joint is shot. It's got movement up and down. Upper looks solid. Guess I'll be doing the Lower Control Arm as well. Anyone used the Duralast stuff from autozone? They're most convenient to me.

Mar 18, 2015
While you're there take a look at The swaybar bushings just did mine when I did the end links $20 in parts 10 minutes in time well worth it .!!!!!
Good luck!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online