NEED HELP ticking sound from flexplate/torque converter?..

crazyelvis3577

Original poster
Oct 13, 2015
Tennessee
I just recently put in a new transmission however it was a low mileage used one. It has been running and changing gears just fine and still does. About a week ago I started hearing a ticking sound and assumed it was a lifter ticking so I've used cleaners and such to try to eliminate the sound. After driving it the ticking doesn't seem to be going away so I thought maybe it was an exhaust leak at the manifold. So with the vehicle running I crawled underneath to try to see it the noise got louder but once I got under the vehicle it sounded like it was coming from the transmission. I then decided to do an experiment, so I shut off the truck I took out of the torque converter to flexplate bolts and then restarted it and the ticking went away instantly. What could be the sound I am hearing? I doubt it's an internal transmission problem because it's running smooth and changing like it should. Could this be a cracked flexplate or a bad torque converter?... I'm leaning towards flexplate but I want some more professional input. Why don't I hear the ticking with the torque converter unbolted? Seems like if it were flexplate I would still hear it. Is it possible for torque converters to go bad and still allow the transmission to operate correctly? Any help is greatly appreciated. Maybe MAY03LT could chime in, he's helped me a lot whether he knows it or not..lol

2003 GMC Envoy XL - SLT - 4.2L I-6

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Anything is possible. Torque converter or its internal clutch, pump, other internal issues, dirt from sitting in the yard. Not a common issue AFAIK. Maybe a tranny shop could give an insight.

crazyelvis3577

Original poster
Oct 13, 2015
Tennessee
The tranny has been running and changing just fine and just started making the noise from nowhere and it's gotten louder. I didn't think to check the flexplate while I had the tranny out. With all the information and videos I'm finding and the sounds I'm hearing compared to mine leads me to believe it's the flexplate. I will be tearing into it soon, so hopefully we can inspect and officially diagnose it.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

crazyelvis3577

Original poster
Oct 13, 2015
Tennessee
Turned out to be flex plate. That thing is cracks all the way around. I'm just glad it didn't do any damage to the engine or transmission. Got a new plate on and transmission bolted up, just need to connect everything else back up and we're good to go.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Last edited:

crazyelvis3577

Original poster
Oct 13, 2015
Tennessee
I'm thinking that when the old transmission failed (probably due to lack of maintenance before I got it) after I heard a thud like a band or gears break that it caused unnecessary stress on the flex plate and then me trying to get it to go to get out of the middle of the road was also a factor in that unnecessary stress. I have checked the crank for end play and such and everything seems to be within specs. So, hopefully I got lucky on it, but only time will tell. I drove it forever before the original transmission failed (with no problems or noises) and since the new transmission I drove it a lot before I even heard a noise from the flex plate. Would it actually take that long for a flex plate to make noise being driven if those are so easily broken?... Like I said, I'm thinking that whatever happened when the original transmission failed and I heard that thud something internal in the trans locked up and then with me revving it trying to get it out of the road may have started the crack. I'm hoping that's the case anyway.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Last edited:

crazyelvis3577

Original poster
Oct 13, 2015
Tennessee
So I started having the same issue again, removed inspection cover and the flex plate is cracked in the same place as the old one just not quiet as bad, yet. I went and bought a low mileage engine to I'll be swapping that in a few days. The new engine I bought looks good and the flex plate looks good, luckily somebody had already removed the transmission so we will give this a go.

07TrailyLS

May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
Good luck to you. Make sure you use @MRRSM 's guide. (85000 dollar engine repair) he has really amazing tips and as many pics as one would need to get started. There's also some other guides that will help immensely floating around here. But anyway, good luck

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

Last edited:
Reactions: hancock

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online