ticking noise in engine bay

mcb88gt

Original poster
Mar 25, 2024
Kansas
06 Envoy 4.2 Constant ticking in engine bay at idle. I pulled exhaust heat shield thinking it was a exhaust leak or missing exhaust bolt. All looked fine under there.

I read a post today talking about the EV fan clutch making a ticking noise. Any tip on troubleshooting that to isolate the noise? Just unplug it???? lol Thanks guys.

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
Unplugging would be a start. Do you have a stethoscope you can use? A long handle screw driver pressed against your ear also works. Poke around the head, exhaust manifold, alternator, fan, etc. to see if you can locate the source.

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
A Walk-A-Round Video of the Engine Compartment via an above and below recording of where the sound is loudest would be of great help in speeding along this Diagnosis...

Reactions: mcb88gt

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
By 03, the ticking fan clutch issue was resolved via PCM programming changes and upgraded fan clutch.

Could be a valve lifter. Does it seem to be a bit better right after an oil change? What's the mileage? What was the maintenance like? You could try replacing one quart of oil with transmission fluid to try and clear it up. Check the CPAS solenoid screen (located behind the power steering pump) for any debris in the oil which could have contaminated a lifter.

Reactions: Redbeard

mcb88gt

Original poster
Mar 25, 2024
Kansas
Ok, not the fan lol.

165K miles, had it since 75k miles, I service it well wix filter and 5/30 full synthetic every 4-5K miles. Has been ticking for several years, I dont notice much change in ticking after oil change, but Ill listen better. Gonna change it this weekend and the oil "pressure" sender, its leaking. I did a half quart of marvel MO, couple weeks ago.

Ive changed the CPas solenioid twice since ive owned it, for the cam timing error, also replace the Cam P sensor, both within the last month, Using OEM parts.

Its the wifes car, so I dont get total time with it. Ticking is kinda embarrassing, really noticeable in drive thrus. lol.

Reactions: mrrsm

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
When you did your service, did you change the serpentine belt? I had a ticking noise from the front of the engine on my TB that went away after I put a new belt in.

On my old S10, the idler pulley going bad also made a ticking noise, so you might check that and the tensioner as well.

Reactions: Mooseman and mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
If you are having issues with the Timing Chain Set (Including a Stretched Chain, Worn Guides and the Fully Expanded Timing Chain Tensioner) sometimes... if you remove the Engine Oil Filler Cap and listen closely... you will be able to detect the *clatter* that can sometimes occur at Engine Idle. :>)

Last edited:

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
A video would definitely be helpful getting a listen to what it sounds like. My first Envoy developed a constant tick, which ended up being the #6 spark plug coming lose (mustn't have been torqued) over time, and was arcing inside the spark plug well. Couldn't hurt to recheck the plugs just to see for the heck of it.

Reactions: mrrsm

mcb88gt

Original poster
Mar 25, 2024
Kansas
When you did your service, did you change the serpentine belt? I had a ticking noise from the front of the engine on my TB that went away after I put a new belt in.

On my old S10, the idler pulley going bad also made a ticking noise, so you might check that and the tensioner as well.
Thinking back, I pulled the belt off and ran the car, still had the tick tick tick noise.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Someone here did have the same issue that did wind up being a lifter. I also remember a thing with these where if you plug the PCV hose and allow vacuum to accumulate, the ticking stops. I think it's a way to tell it's a lifter.

Reactions: mcb88gt

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nadmak