Throttle body swap

retiredcopper

Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
I need to change the throttle body on my 09 Trailblazer I6 due to a bad throttle position sensor,has anybody done this and not experienced any relearn problems?....I'm trying to save a trip to the local shop...Thanks

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
What problems are you expecting??? I think the process is OK assuming that you don't have other issues (wiring or otherwise... ie. codes) AND you have the right replacement for your year.

How did you determine that you have a bad position sensor?

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If getting a year proper tb, it shouldn't be a problem except that you have to either disconnect the battery or pull the PCM fuses for at least 30 minutes to reset the PCM. No other relearn required unlike the V8 engines.

retiredcopper

Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
What problems are you expecting??? I think the process is OK assuming that you don't have other issues (wiring or otherwise... ie. codes) AND you have the right replacement for your year.

Moose,based on what I've read some have experienced idle issues after replacement and relearn procedure resulting in a trip to the dealership for a PCM reset...Please be advised I'm just recanting what I read...not sure if this is true.

retiredcopper

Original poster
Nov 16, 2013

Friend of mine has a high end scan tool and made the find...also found the upstream 02 sensor,MAP,and thermostat not working properly....and NO codes in the computer....go figure...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Moose,based on what I've read some have experienced idle issues after replacement and relearn procedure resulting in a trip to the dealership for a PCM reset...Please be advised I'm just recanting what I read...not sure if this is true.
I have but for V8 engines. The scan tool may have a throttle "reset", which is probably the equivalent to disconnecting the battery.

O2 sensor can become lazy without triggering a code and a bad Tstat may not trigger a low temp code unless it's really low. A lot of people have this problem but never get a code for it except that it sucks gas and kills the cat. MAP could just be old or dirty.

But, I don't see how any of these could be related to a bad throttle position sensor.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
Friend of mine has a high end scan tool and made the find...also found the upstream 02 sensor,MAP,and thermostat not working properly....and NO codes in the computer....go figure...
OK... so you have replaced the o2, map and thermostat and the last thing on the to do list is the throttle body???? I guess the question around this is that the area of "throttling" is usually pretty closely watched by the PCM in terms of "checks and balances" so it bring to wonder and get confirmation about what's up. I have replaced my tb in my 2008 with no problems with the process / procedure. Hopefully, that is the normal experience that I think most have had.

Reactions: Mooseman

retiredcopper

Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
I have but for V8 engines. The scan tool may have a throttle "reset", which is probably the equivalent to disconnecting the battery.

O2 sensor can become lazy without triggering a code and a bad Tstat may not trigger a low temp code unless it's really low. A lot of people have this problem but never get a code for it except that it sucks gas and kills the cat. MAP could just be old or dirty.

But, I don't see how any of these could be related to a bad throttle position sensor.
Moose,in your travels have you heard that "Bosch" makes GM throttle bodies?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online

No members online now.