bmcutright

Original poster
Apr 15, 2014
pe5y2yve.jpg

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
And a picture someone supplied recently of a spark plug purchased at Autozone:

ByUcizJ.jpg

Although someone else had posted this picture a few months prior, saying "a customer returned this to the store, I admit it took me a moment to see why." THEY didn't list which store though. I trust it's Autozone. :biggrin:

Reactions: 24v 4.2

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
That's the look I give parts counter noobs when they try to kick knowledge.

Most recent examples overheard while standing in line.

"The battery is only putting out 65 amps because it's too small."

"(Brand x) spark plug is a better plug. You'll get better performance and mileage."

"Sir, you should always replace all of the oxygen sensors at the same time."

I'm not knocking all of them, there are some people that know their stuff.

RayGumm

Apr 16, 2014
My favorite is when you have ANY kind of CEL code - even cooling related - and they tap that seafoam shit can.. "this'll solve all your problems" and then when it doesn't, they just try to sell you more, as if 2, 3, or 47 cans of the crap will just magically make your light go off. like your car knows.. "oh shit, my owner just dumped a bunch of worthless crap in my tank so he must love me.. I'll go ahead and turn that CEL off for him."

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
RayGumm said:
My favorite is when you have ANY kind of CEL code - even cooling related - and they tap that seafoam shit can.. "this'll solve all your problems" and then when it doesn't, they just try to sell you more, as if 2, 3, or 47 cans of the crap will just magically make your light go off. like your car knows.. "oh shit, my owner just dumped a bunch of worthless crap in my tank so he must love me.. I'll go ahead and turn that CEL off for him."
Proof that some employees still believe that the internal combustion engine relies on wizardry, a fire-breathing dragon harnessing the power of explosions in a magical way to turn reciprocating motion into rotational motion. The Seafoam is what the little gnomes inside feed on to keep working their hardest to keep the explosion dragon under control.

RayGumm

Apr 16, 2014
*guy walks into Advance

"yah uh hi so I have this little light on my dash and it looks like a sideways helicopter with no tail and its blinking at me. Also it feels like I just ran over badass rumble strips but like... all the time.. and also my James Bond smoke screen is on and I can't get it to turn off... what do I do?!"

*red shirt thinks for a minute, then comes to a brilliant conclusion, you can actually see the light bulb above his head. He taps a sexy looking white can on the counter..

"This'll solve all your problems.."

"Great! Thanks! How many do I need?"

"8 or 10 oughtta do it. Just remember - one at a time, full tank for each one."

"Thanks a million, mister!"

*end scene

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Based on a true story

guy walks into AZ

"I need a rotor for a 98 Chevy 3/4 ton and one wheel seal"

"Just one rotor?" the employee asks.

"Yeah."

Suddenly, the lights go out and the store is backlit in a redish hue. The customer is surrounded by employees who are foaming at the mouth.

"How dare you only replace one rotor. Your braking performance will suffer and if you don't do both YOU MAY NEED THE OTHER ROTOR REPLACED AT SOME POINT In TIME"

"Fine, don't taze me bro" the customer says

"Oh. We only have one rotor in stock."

8 years later same rotors.

Fin

7d9_z28

Apr 22, 2014
When I was 14, I had my first car (1984 AMC Eagle wagon) and it needed a solenoid and starter (remember when those two parts were separate? :biggrin: ). Being 'young and dumb' I rode my bike to AutoZone.

After 15 minutes of the lady telling me my car didn't exist (because it wasn't listed in the computer) I left.

Im 23 and have never bought from them. I vowed not to step foot in one ever again.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
7d9_z28 said:
When I was 14, I had my first car (1984 AMC Eagle wagon) and it needed a solenoid and starter (remember when those two parts were separate? :biggrin: ). Being 'young and dumb' I rode my bike to AutoZone.

After 15 minutes of the lady telling me my car didn't exist (because it wasn't listed in the computer) I left.

Im 23 and have never bought from them. I vowed not to step foot in one ever again.
-Fix it
-Drive it there
-Ask for more parts
-Lady still refuses to believe make/model/year exists
-Point outside at the car
-You are now a wizard.

Fortunately for me, back home it was an O'Reilly store (and they seemed to have their crap together 99.5% of the time), and here it's an Advance Auto Parts (trust level is about the same as with AZ, but they don't try suggestive-selling me everything including the deed to the store property like AZ).

bmcutright

Original poster
Apr 15, 2014
So which store do you like to go? I seem to like Advance, there's one right around the corner. Anybody have recommendations where to or not to go?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Every store has different levels of competence in their managers and employees. I don't believe there is a top-down corporate driven culture of incompetence in any store chain as a whole.

Pockets of incompetence are grown and nurtured entirely locally. You have to check out the stores and test them.

The only truly top-down evil corporations I can recall now are Bank of America and Vertical Scope.

Reactions: hrddrv

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I personally like O'Reilly. They never ask questions or push products on me, but then again, I've never had products pushed on me from any parts store.

Aarkon

Nov 6, 2013
The_Roadie said:
Every store has different levels of competence in their managers and employees. I don't believe there is a top-down corporate driven culture of incompetence in any store chain as a whole.

Pockets of incompetence are grown and nurtured entirely locally. You have to check out the stores and test them.

The only truly top-down evil corporations I can recall now are Bank of America and Vertical Scope.
bank of america?

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
The_Roadie said:

And IBM.

And Siemens AG. One not listed in this list is recently when the CEO went and schlubbed with Vladimir Putin encouraging him that they're committed to Russian profits, after the invasion of Ukraine.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
I usually shop online but for Sunday afternoon emergencies I use whoever has the goods whether it's AZ, AAP, or crapanapa. I prefer AZ because there's a hottie working there. Also because it's the closest, has the rewards card, and has great online coupons sent to rewards cards owners.

Aarkon

Nov 6, 2013
i can honestly say im the only person here at carquest who knows how to work on vehicles

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
We have here Canadian Tire (aka: Crappy Tire). I can't compare it to any US stores except maybe it's a Walmart with an auto parts counter and service dept. Just love stumping them. Best is when they ask if the truck has a "4.2L V6". They are so dumb that they would probably try to look for headlight fluid if you asked :crackup:

Reactions: Mark20

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
I wonder if they have a water pump for a Corvair?

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Are we collecting money to buy it for him? If so I'm in for $5!

Reactions: Mounce

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhenninger

Members Online