The infamous NAVIGATION SCREEN! Any suggestions?

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Member
Jul 31, 2012
430
Hello all,

I drive a 2006 Trailblazer LT 4.2, it comes with electric everything and is extremely fun to drive since installing a CAI and working with the fine people of PCM4LESS. Needless to say, I'll have it for a long time (despite the electrical nightmare it can be sometimes) and wouldn't want anything else.

I recently came across a friend of mine that drives an 06 SS with an OEM Nav-Screen stock. He told me that he decided to take out his stock screen and "upgrade" to a better aftermarket version. I said okay, do you think I could take your old screen and install it into my LT that came stock with Onstar, XM and the Bose system? He said yeah, it should work..

Well I contacted the dealership first thing, spoke with their service and parts department and both of them pretty much told me there's no way in hell that it can be done. To sum the conversation up, the tech said that "If my LT wasn't 'born' with Nav already installed, it can never have one.." I didn't like that answer.

I soon after decided to take a better look at my 6-cd radio unit. I popped the center dash off and pulled the unit out. I saw two ports for plug-in's and one black "cable?" that went into the left side of the rear of the unit. I then took a look at my friends Nav-unit. He had the same two plug in ports (they were in different positions of course) and one little green port for a third plug in. Apparently this is for the antenna?

My question to you all is, is there anyway around this? I really like the stock Delphi screen that he has, why couldn't I just buy the antenna and plug it up? What do you guys think. Thanks! -Lee
 

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Member
Jul 31, 2012
430
I was told by a member of another forum that all it's original members came here now. If this is true, I could really use a helping hand from you guys. The account I had with the other form went inactive while I was deployed to Afghanistan for the second time. This one goes out to "TheRoadie". I miss learning from you guys! Semper Fidelis -Lee
 

BRomanJr

Member
Dec 9, 2011
371
OctaneRider03 said:
Hello all,

I drive a 2006 Trailblazer LT 4.2, it comes with electric everything and is extremely fun to drive since installing a CAI and working with the fine people of PCM4LESS. Needless to say, I'll have it for a long time (despite the electrical nightmare it can be sometimes) and wouldn't want anything else.

I recently came across a friend of mine that drives an 06 SS with an OEM Nav-Screen stock. He told me that he decided to take out his stock screen and "upgrade" to a better aftermarket version. I said okay, do you think I could take your old screen and install it into my LT that came stock with Onstar, XM and the Bose system? He said yeah, it should work..

Well I contacted the dealership first thing, spoke with their service and parts department and both of them pretty much told me there's no way in hell that it can be done. To sum the conversation up, the tech said that "If my LT wasn't 'born' with Nav already installed, it can never have one.." I didn't like that answer.

I soon after decided to take a better look at my 6-cd radio unit. I popped the center dash off and pulled the unit out. I saw two ports for plug-in's and one black "cable?" that went into the left side of the rear of the unit. I then took a look at my friends Nav-unit. He had the same two plug in ports (they were in different positions of course) and one little green port for a third plug in. Apparently this is for the antenna?

My question to you all is, is there anyway around this? I really like the stock Delphi screen that he has, why couldn't I just buy the antenna and plug it up? What do you guys think. Thanks! -Lee

I did a similar swap and it worked. Nav Radio from a 2006 into my 2004 Envoy with Bose and XM.

I just had to add the antenna (mounted under the dash just forward and above the radio) and install the radio. Then re-program the radio for my Trucks' VIN (theftlock)

You can test it before mounting by connecting all but the large plug, turning your key to on, don't start, and then plug in the large plug.
This will allow the radio to bypass theftlock for testing. Once you start the truck it will lock-out.

After testing take to a dealer/mechanic with a Tech II and have them re-program the unit to your vehicle. I think it is called a VIN relearn.

Some radio repair places can clear out the existing VIN with a bench tool and first time you plug it in, it automatically learns the VIN (just like a new radio).
 

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Member
Nov 19, 2011
9,957
Portland, OR
Welcome! I moved your thread from the "full size" forum because we actually have a few more forums for other than Trailblazers/Envoys/etc here.

But I'm alive, even though trailvoy owners lie to people and try to pretend I died.

Read this for a bit of background: http://gmtnation.com/f5/welcome-gmtnation-com-heres-story-226/

And you might consider putting up an Introduction thread in the Intro forum. At trailvoy now, such threads get zero or one response. What a ghost town. :confused:

On the nav issue - sorry. I'm not a specialty in those systems. But we sure have folks who are.

And BTW - THANK YOU for your service!
 

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Member
Jul 31, 2012
430
Man, you have yet again affirmed my beliefs with this circumstance. The dealership attempted to steer me away from doing such a thing, they scream "NO!" while others whisper yes.. :smile: you guys are awesome! I'll be updating my page here soon and becoming more involved!

Listen though, how did you mount/install the wiring for the antenna? Was it a hassle? Yesterday was my first experience dealing with anything behind my factory radio unit. As I've said, I only saw two plug-in's (one little and one big) as well as one solid black - what looked like to be cable wire (I didn't even try to pull on that sucker. It looks like its inside the unit pretty good!). My friends Nav-unit came with two identical plug in ports and a third port that is highlighted in green. I'm assuming that this port is for the antenna line.

Thanks so much, it's so cool to see guys like the Roadie still in full swing and standing up for what's right. -Semper Fidelis.. -Lee

BRomanJr said:
I did a similar swap and it worked. Nav Radio from a 2006 into my 2004 Envoy with Bose and XM.

I just had to add the antenna (mounted under the dash just forward and above the radio) and install the radio. Then re-program the radio for my Trucks' VIN (theftlock)

You can test it before mounting by connecting all but the large plug, turning your key to on, don't start, and then plug in the large plug.
This will allow the radio to bypass theftlock for testing. Once you start the truck it will lock-out.

After testing take to a dealer/mechanic with a Tech II and have them re-program the unit to your vehicle. I think it is called a VIN relearn.

Some radio repair places can clear out the existing VIN with a bench tool and first time you plug it in, it automatically learns the VIN (just like a new radio).
 

BRomanJr

Member
Dec 9, 2011
371
OctaneRider03 said:
Man, you have yet again affirmed my beliefs with this circumstance. The dealership attempted to steer me away from doing such a thing, they scream "NO!" while others whisper yes.. :smile: you guys are awesome! I'll be updating my page here soon and becoming more involved!

Listen though, how did you mount/install the wiring for the antenna? Was it a hassle? Yesterday was my first experience dealing with anything behind my factory radio unit. As I've said, I only saw two plug-in's (one little and one big) as well as one solid black - what looked like to be cable wire (I didn't even try to pull on that sucker. It looks like its inside the unit pretty good!). My friends Nav-unit came with two identical plug in ports and a third port that is highlighted in green. I'm assuming that this port is for the antenna line.

Thanks so much, it's so cool to see guys like the Roadie still in full swing and standing up for what's right. -Semper Fidelis.. -Lee

The proper GPS antenna has a short cable and needs to be mounted to the support up in the dash before the radio is mounted.
The antenna that came with my unit did not have the proper bracket and I wedged it up there and it stays.

Your stock radio and the NAV unit should have the first (3) connectors in common, plus the NAV has the (4th) green GPS antenna socket.
1) AM/FM Antenna (the one you remarked that looks like a cable wire) This will be firmly plugged in and only requires a tug.
2) Large connector for all connections to the vehicle.
3) Small connector for all connection to the XM module.
4) GPS Antenna
 

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Member
Jul 31, 2012
430
BRomanJr said:
The proper GPS antenna has a short cable and needs to be mounted to the support up in the dash before the radio is mounted.
The antenna that came with my unit did not have the proper bracket and I wedged it up there and it stays.

Your stock radio and the NAV unit should have the first (3) connectors in common, plus the NAV has the (4th) green GPS antenna socket.
1) AM/FM Antenna (the one you remarked that looks like a cable wire) This will be firmly plugged in and only requires a tug.
2) Large connector for all connections to the vehicle.
3) Small connector for all connection to the XM module.
4) GPS Antenna

All this is true. I'm currently in the process of purchasing an antenna for it as I type this out.. This is what the dealership said as of this afternoon.. "Even if the navigation unit you have is a non-lux and able to run off your amp, your BCM won't accept it" Why is he talking about the basic control module?!? Is this guy nuts?? Or is it me? Sigh.. Any ideas?
 

Denali n DOO

Member
May 22, 2012
5,596
OctaneRider03 said:
All this is true. I'm currently in the process of purchasing an antenna for it as I type this out.. This is what the dealership said as of this afternoon.. "Even if the navigation unit you have is a non-lux and able to run off your amp, your BCM won't accept it" Why is he talking about the basic control module?!? Is this guy nuts?? Or is it me? Sigh.. Any ideas?

If I didn't know any better I'd say you were at my ex dealership, sounds like a bunch of BS coming from someone that don't know s••t about what they're talking about...
 

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Member
Jul 31, 2012
430
Denali n DOO said:
If I didn't know any better I'd say you were at my ex dealership, sounds like a bunch of BS coming from someone that don't know s••t about what they're talking about...

I couldn't have said it better my friend..

Hey guys, if I go through with this and it works, I'll send whoever wants it my stock 6 cd. All you would have to do is pay shipping. Why? Because I'd be THAT happy about getting the navi installed and rubbing it into the dealership's face!
 

RayVoy

Member
Nov 20, 2011
939
OctaneRider03 said:
Because I'd be THAT happy about getting the navi installed and rubbing it into the dealership's face!
Be careful, the units will swap, but the new nav will need to have your vehicle's VIN programmed into it by the dealer.
 

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Member
Jul 31, 2012
430
BRomanJr said:
The proper GPS antenna has a short cable and needs to be mounted to the support up in the dash before the radio is mounted.
The antenna that came with my unit did not have the proper bracket and I wedged it up there and it stays.

Your stock radio and the NAV unit should have the first (3) connectors in common, plus the NAV has the (4th) green GPS antenna socket.
1) AM/FM Antenna (the one you remarked that looks like a cable wire) This will be firmly plugged in and only requires a tug.
2) Large connector for all connections to the vehicle.
3) Small connector for all connection to the XM module.
4) GPS Antenna

I just want you guys to know that not only am I going to give my old factory 6-cd head unit away, but also a free pair of un-broken tail lights. I don't have any other use for them, I installed LED's. Again, whoever wants them will only have to pay the cost of shipping. Man I'm in a good mood now! Seeing all the originals from Trailvoy on this site made my freggin day y'all. Thanks again for the comments. I'll post pictures once I get this thing online...
 

McGMT

Member
Jun 17, 2012
621
OctaneRider03 said:
I just want you guys to know that not only am I going to give my old factory 6-cd head unit away, but also a free pair of un-broken tail lights. I don't have any other use for them, I installed LED's. Again, whoever wants them will only have to pay the cost of shipping. Man I'm in a good mood now! Seeing all the originals from Trailvoy on this site made my freggin day y'all. Thanks again for the comments. I'll post pictures once I get this thing online...

DIBS! lol Please?
I have been trying to get hold of a 6 disc for so long but mumma (the wife) wont let me get 1 at the yard...

PM sent...
 

BRomanJr

Member
Dec 9, 2011
371
OctaneRider03 said:
All this is true. I'm currently in the process of purchasing an antenna for it as I type this out.. This is what the dealership said as of this afternoon.. "Even if the navigation unit you have is a non-lux and able to run off your amp, your BCM won't accept it" Why is he talking about the basic control module?!? Is this guy nuts?? Or is it me? Sigh.. Any ideas?

During my upgrade there was mention of changing a parameter or using a different menu to setup the NAV unit. (sorry, I was watching while my mechanic cruised through the buttons).

But in summary, it can be done.
The BCM is the Body Control Module located on the floor under 2nd row seat behind the Driver.
 

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Member
Jul 31, 2012
430
BRomanJr said:
During my upgrade there was mention of changing a parameter or using a different menu to setup the NAV unit. (sorry, I was watching while my mechanic cruised through the buttons).

But in summary, it can be done.
The BCM is the Body Control Module located on the floor under 2nd row seat behind the Driver.

We'll see what happens. I've still got time to look into more before anything major occurs. I wonder why he said the BCM wouldn't take it though.. Just another day my friend..
 

RayVoy

Member
Nov 20, 2011
939
OctaneRider03 said:
I wonder why he said the BCM wouldn't take it though...
It's called guessing............he has a little knowledge, now he is dangerous.
 

Denali n DOO

Member
May 22, 2012
5,596
Did you get the nav installed successfully and working? How much did the GPS antenna cost?

Thanks.
 

Meltdown211

Member
Dec 4, 2011
30
I just swapped a Nav unit for my stock 6 disc changer in my TB. When I put the unit in, it came up "THEFTLOCK" so I took it to my dealer and they charged me $99.95 to unlock a unit. This was AFTER the first tech (old guy) said it cant be done. He went in the back and said he spoke with the mechanics and they told him "NO WAY" "CANT BE DONE". SO I got the Tech II procedure and brought it back the next day. it works fine, all is good and I got my delphi Nav antenna off eBay for $30 and I used some mounting tape to mount it under the dash. Works great.


It should work, ALL TBSS nav are NON-LUX and should work if you have the XM, BOSE set up already in your vehicle.

Here is the unlock procedure they need to follow... PRINT THIS OUT AND TAKE IT WITH YOU.

I know this works when swapping from TBSS to TBSS 6 disc to nav...Just not sure on others but it is exactly what I gave them to get mine unlocked.


Here is the procedure copied from another post from '08. Maybe this will help people for future reference

Radio Theftlock Clear Procedure

Complete the following procedure, using a scan tool, in order to properly set up communication:

Using a connected Tech2,

1. At the Main Menu screen, select: Diagnostics.

2. At the Vehicle Identification screen, select the following options:

■ Model Year
■ LD Trk, MPV, Incomplete

3. At the System Selection Menu screen, select: Body

4. At the Vehicle Identification screen, select the following:

■ Appropriate model
■ Appropriate Air Conditioning
■ Navigation Radio

5. At the Body Screen, select: Navigation Radio.

6. At the Radio screen, select: Special Functions.

7. At the Special Functions screen, select: VIN Relearn.

8. At the VIN Relearn screen, the scan tool will display "Do you want to clear radio theft information?"

9. To begin clearing, press the soft touch key on the top right of the scan tool. The scan tool will display "Clearing Radio Theft in Progress."

10. Press EXIT on the scan tool and cycle the ignition.

Important:

The radio theft will learn the VIN. Without learning the VIN, the radio will display a locked message (LOC or LOCKED).
 

TimRXUV777

Member
May 6, 2014
190
OctaneRider03 said:
All this is true. I'm currently in the process of purchasing an antenna for it as I type this out.. This is what the dealership said as of this afternoon.. "Even if the navigation unit you have is a non-lux and able to run off your amp, your BCM won't accept it" Why is he talking about the basic control module?!? Is this guy nuts?? Or is it me? Sigh.. Any ideas?
I know super old thread, but in my sight as a topic of interest. OctaneRider03 did you ever get your NAV unit working? Did you give your replaced/superceded 6 cd changer to anyone? Hoping you got it working and drove to the dealership and asked them if they sell NAV screen cleaning cloths. LOL
 

Mooseman

Moderator
Dec 4, 2011
25,561
Ottawa, ON
I doubt you'll get an answer. Octane left a while ago after his engine died and got rid of the TB. He now drive's a Cruze.
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,429
Posts
639,197
Members
18,647
Latest member
Lortigemt

Members Online