Tech2 Questions

NJTB

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
I bought a clone tech2, and followed the instructions on installing the TIS2000 software, which turned out to be a biblical pain in the ass. Realizing it was beyond my computer skill level, I took it to my son, and he created a 'virtual machine'. Went through the USB to serial ordeal, but finally got it to load on the computer.
Loaded the CD on the computer to program the Tech2. Then an error code pops up that said the Tech2 has newer software than the CD, and won't program the devise. WTF?
I took it out to the car, and it does work somewhat, although not all of the features work. It will tell me there are codes in it (about 4), but no other information. I can delete them, but want to get into the part where I can test the encoder motor, sensors, etc. on the 4WD (the service 4WD light is on). In MAY03's video, he even makes the windows go up and down with the damn thing.
The Tech 2 did pass all of the self tests, including the CANDI and POST. It will read the running data.
When I go into diagnostics-DTC's the only option that's there is is to delete the codes, can't scroll through them.
Can anybody tell me what's wrong?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
DO NOT USE THE UPDATE BUTTON IN TIS2000!!!! This would revert the software on your card to the old version, circa 2008, when support for Tis2000 stopped. Whatever came on your card is the newest available, circa 2014.

Someone else did this and it did revert to the old version and he had to buy a new card since it's practically impossible to update the card itself outside the Tech 2 due to the very old tech the card is. Luckily yours caught it and didn't go ahead. Just to be sure, check to see the highest year you can see, for example, Silverados. Should be 2013 or 2014.

You should have the option to scroll if you have more than one code. Look at the screen as sometimes that's where it will say "next" or "more" and you push the button just under it. Sometimes it's not intuitive so you have to look and poke around.

Each section (PCM, BCM, etc.) has a Special Functions where you can do that stuff like controlling the windows, controlling engine functions and sweeping the gauges. You have to really poke around to find these. Again, it's not really that intuitive. It's all trial and error.

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
The Bosch Tech 2 User's Color Manual is an Excellent Reference (Download for Off Line Reference):

This GM Technician's Training Video can help...

By the way... When did you successfully Purchase your New "GYMKO" Tech 2 ...and can you provide the Links and other Information to allow others access to this Buy Option? Right now... This ridiculous, self-imposed Tariff War we are presently engaged in is punishing many people who are having trouble actually getting their own Tech 2 Scanners.

If it becomes necessary to purchase another relatively inexpensive GM PCMCIA Card Version 33.004 ... they are available from various Vendors at at AliExpress.com ... and using the Vendor you used to Buy the Tech 2... might make this purchase easier to accomplish.

NJTB

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
Thank you Mooseman and MRRSM.
When I boot the Tech2, it gives the 33.004 so I guess I didn't do any damage. And yes, it goes to 2014.
I bought it about 3 weeks ago from a vendor I googled, Tech2, list came up, shipped from CA. It came with absolutely no paperwork, but I was notified when it shipped and the estimated delivery date. It was on time.
This all started because I was chasing a Service 4WD light. Took it to 2 mechanics in the area to be worked on, and both of them declined (too old), and said take it to the dealer. Ain't happening.
I just had no idea the thing would drive me this nuts.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Thanks... if you have no objection... I'd Like to drop a link to this Thread over at another one of mine that is covering this very dilemma... right now. The inquiring potential buyers will appreciate knowing how this worked out for you.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
The Bosch Tech 2 User's Color Manual is an Excellent Reference (Download for Off Line Reference):

If it becomes necessary to purchase another relatively inexpensive GM PCMCIA Card Version 33.004 ... they are available from various Vendors at at AliExpress.com ... and using the Vendor you used to Buy the Tech 2... might make this purchase easier to accomplish.

The manual details how to make a copy of the card in the Tech 2. I may buy a card and try that. Should be cheaper than buying a card with the data already on it.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Actually.... No. Yes... You CAN place a Blank, Unformatted Linear Ram Card in Slot #1 and create a Mirror Image of the Original GM Card... However the Off The Shelf ATA PCMCIA Cards will NOT work and may damage the Tech 2 as they draw much greater Voltage than the Very Low Voltage design of the Linear Ram Card.

Also, If you decide to purchase the necessary "Blank Linear RAM Card" ...you'll be hard-pressed to find a Good, Unformatted One with an MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) Rated at over 100,000 Read Writes for less than $100.00 Plus S&H. Your best bet would be to see of you can find a Stateside Vendor that Sells AND Ships from within the the Continental United States. If you live outside of the U.S. Borders... then you should not feel The Sting of "The Tariff Tiff" that sadly we must all endure... perhaps for as long a time frame leading up to the very end of 2020... Draw you own conclusions from what that Neutral Comment implies.

It will be cheaper if you can find a Vendor that sells the Card as Pre-Loaded with the GM Specific Software... as long as you don't slip into the realm involving the GM Federal Lawsuit, etc. and invoke a peek into what you buy from China. There is a built-in feature that Bosch had set up to work with their Proprietary Tech-Line Hardware at each GM Authorized Dealerships. The Update CDs they used to send their improvements along with have been superseded by the ACDelco Tech2Win or Global-TIS for the European Market as an on-line method for updates. If you don't really need this Extra GM Ver. 33.004 Low Voltage Linear PCMCIA Card... You might want to hold off trying to buy one for a little while.

Last edited:

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Good points, @MRRSM . I have a GM card on my watch list on ebay - maybe... I did awhile ago, but I may have given up on getting one and removed it. Like you said, they are available should I need one in the future.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.