NEED HELP Tech 2 Coil Test Help

CMAUS

Original poster
Mar 21, 2020
SPARROWS POINT 21219
TECH 2, DIAGNOSTIC, POWERTRAIN,SPECIAL FUNCTIONS,ENGINE OUTPUT CONTROLS COIL TESTS.

CAN'T FIND COIL TEST OR COIL BI DIRECTIONAL CONTROLS ON TECH 2? PARAMETERS ON MY SCREEN

ARE SPARK AS IN DEGREE'S 19' 20' ETC. IGNITION 1 SIGNAL AS IN 13.5 VOLTS. HOW DO I ADD OTHER PARAMETERS

AS IN COIL TEST.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation...

Ordinarily, Testing the Ignition Coil Primary Low Voltage Ramp for Strength and the Secondary High Voltage Induction Ignition Wave Form to the Spark Plugs requires viewing this phenomena on a Graphing Oscilloscope.

It is unlikely that the Tech 2 can produce or visualize such Fine Grain Electromagnetic and Voltage behavior in enough detail. This Video shows that this Visual Wave Form Test CAN be done on the Vehicle with an inexpensive Hantek 1008C Oscilloscope Kit and your Windows Laptop or Tablet. This Tool produces Unequivocal Test Results:

NOTE:

If the above Video fails to play here on GMT Nation... Open a New Browser Window, then visit Youtube and Copy-Drop this Alpha-Numeric into the Search Box:

PALjk13DDiQ

For additional Help with using the Tech 2... This attached PDF Document is Worth its Weight in GOLD.... It contains other "Step By Step" Button Presses necessary for performing a very wide range of diagnostics and it is likely that you will find what you need to know herein:

Attachments

• TECH2 Paths.pdf
    490.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
@CMAUS , as per the rules, please do not type in ALL CAPS.

CMAUS

Original poster
Mar 21, 2020
SPARROWS POINT 21219
sorry about the caps. MRRSM, I've been thru tech 2 paths. on page 63 or there about you
will see over 15 ignition coil tests in green ink ,(denotes powertrain beginning path.) I know the tests are there ,what I need to know is how access them on the tech 2?i have done many
bi- directional commands in all catorgories, powertrain, body control, etc. by the way the tech 2 should have no problems ploting and running graphs on the ignition coils and spark duration,
spark length coil resistance etc. these are actual tests not just graphs allowing each coil to be disabled, shown on a running graph superimposed over other coils for comparison, test primary voltage and resistance, spark plug wire resistance etc. I have plotted and graphed at least10 to 20 parameters listed on the tis 2000 snapshot ,graphs parameters page. these are running graphs just as detailed as the osilliscope you sent me. you can also view live plotting graphs on many systems with the tech 2 connected to vehicle. by the way, I have the tech 2 running win xp pro sp3 on oracle virtual box version 5.2 (32 bit). host computer(home build desktop:
mb:ASUS: Z-97AR UEFI bios , pentium7, win7 home premium. host computer is about 5yrs. old.
luckily for me my MOBO, has a serial port that I bought an adapter for(motherboard to back plate DB9P) no need for usb to serial adapter. MY TECH 2:North American Operations
Software Version 33.004 , this is on tech 2 opening screen. on the TIS 2000 program under about: North American Operations 07.3:Tech 2 Version27.012:Tis Data 12.00 2007:TIS 2000
GMDAT 12/2007: pcmcia card 32 mb. Tech 2 Device Driver Ver:1.1 07.08.1997.also the
tech 2 box goes up to year 2013. now when I go to software download it says currant version 33.004 the next one going backwards is ver:27.012. just for information, haven't downloaded anything. if anyone has any info. will be appreciated,. THANKS. P.S. will do a post on loading TIS 2000 on Oracle Virtual Box soon. Any questions please ask.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Your experiences span more than the average Tech 2 User (mine too... for starters) than most of us and its good to see you here among us. Have you tried to update the PCM Calibration with every Latest Practical Update? Naturally, there are different Feature Screens depending upon the Year-Make-Model and in your present circumstance... updating the Calibration(s) first... it might wake up the ones that are presently unavailable.

Regarding the use of Oracle Virtual Box, one Member has literally 'Coined the Realm' so to speak (@southsidesmoka) on that with some quite Excellent Set Up Instructions with almost ALL flavors of the Windows Operating System. So you might look them over and add to the topic with your own ideas, too. His work is listed-featured up in the Blue *Stickied* Section at the top of the Tech 2 Forum.

I discovered after the fact on many occasions that when it comes to whole range of On Topic Tech 2 Articles and Threads, GMTN Members like @Mooseman and many others had already laid the ground work for much of what I had intended to 'invent from scratch', only to discover this from reading damned near everything else that had long since been Posted as Original Threads all over the Tech 2 Sub-Forum.

Mind you... I'm not trying to discourage you... I'm just trying to save you some time if you happen to miss the work many others have already done over the years. Everybody will welcome any New Ideas for using the Tech 2 that you come up with...(me too..for starters) :>)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.