Tank swap?

groundshock

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Question: My truck is an 02, presumably with the smaller fuel tank. Is the larger 22(?) gal. tank a straight upgrade? Getting all my ideas together for my off-road conversion and the increased capacity is a must.

jonbo2002

Sep 27, 2012
groundshock said:
Question: My truck is an 02, presumably with the smaller fuel tank. Is the larger 22(?) gal. tank a straight upgrade? Getting all my ideas together for my off-road conversion and the increased capacity is a must.

would love to hear if this can be done, I hate the smaller tank in my 02

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I do not think there are any changes but size.

jonbo2002

Sep 27, 2012
I guess I will just have to get under the next one we have in inventory or dismantling at work and check the mounts and how the hoses connect and leave the tank. already have experence at removing it from mine seeing as that I got a tank full of water when I filled up using our used gas here at work lol.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Its been done before, the only thing I dont know is if it will change the fuel level sender and therefore the cluster readout. I cant remember what the person who did it told me, been a few years.

If anything happens to the tank in my 02, Ill do the swap but until then I cant justify spending the $$.

jonbo2002

Sep 27, 2012
we scrap them all the time so I will just have to ask my boss if he will let me have one and take on this project sometime. worth a try at least

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
ScarabEpic22 said:
Its been done before, the only thing I dont know is if it will change the fuel level sender and therefore the cluster readout. I cant remember what the person who did it told me, been a few years.

If anything happens to the tank in my 02, Ill do the swap but until then I cant justify spending the $$.

I remember it from the OS. The name of the person escapes me, but they turned their truck into an SS clone including SSBC brakes and then had a bad accident with it.

IIRC, the gauge didn't read correctly but I can't remember the solution. I also recall that something under the truck had to be modified to accommodate the larger tank...maybe a cross member?

groundshock

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Would definitely be interested to see if it's feasible. Level sender being different makes sense, but maybe not depending on the design of the tank.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Matt said:
I remember it from the OS. The name of the person escapes me, but they turned their truck into an SS clone including SSBC brakes and then had a bad accident with it.

IIRC, the gauge didn't read correctly but I can't remember the solution. I also recall that something under the truck had to be modified to accommodate the larger tank...maybe a cross member?

BUCNASTY or something like that was the s/n.

I imagine it would be easy to just flash a later OS (from an 04/05) and kill the AIR stuff. Im going to try a few things out when I get my 02 back in a few weeks with this.

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
groundshock said:

Pff.... 22 gallons is tiny, you should give this a try for the effort: OffRoad TB - View topic - 44 gal tank install/ help LOL :thumbsup: It's something I hope to attempt.

I think the tanks are just larger and straight swap. Best to find a complete donor tank with all the crap ontop to compare to yours.

sam0481mw.jpg

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I'd hate to have to fill it though :crazy:

groundshock

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Depends... I'd feel better spending more at one time and not having to stop every other day... I swear this thing passes everything but a gas station.

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
Sparky said:
I'd hate to have to fill it though :crazy:

If you think it about it, it's the same you pay to fill your smaller tank twice. And you're going to get the same distance as two tanks of gas. So really it's not more expensive. It could be even cheaper when you think about how gas just goes up and up.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhendsbee

Members Online