Tampa Bay Area Mini Meets!!

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Back by popular demand (mainly mine) it's the documentation thread of your friendly bay area meet-a-holics!! :tiphat:

Saturday's main purpose was to install some BartonMD bumper action on Decembersend's TB. First, stock bumper cover's gotta go!

IMAG0233-1.jpg

IMAG0234.jpg

Here's a quick look at the new goodies. Had to disassemble the subs, so that made for a quiet drive up here. :mad: :tongue:

IMAG0235-1.jpg

Game planning and removing the bumper support.

IMAG0236.jpg

IMAG0237.jpg

Test fit

IMAG0238.jpg

Time for some grinding

IMAG0239-1.jpg

IMAG0240.jpg

IMAG0241-1.jpg

After bolting it up, time to cut the wheel wells.

IMAG0242-1.jpg

Not an official meet without 3 GMTs. Our buddy Jake from TBSSOwners dropped by to hang out.

IMAG0243-1.jpg

With the wheel wells cut, time to install the projector fog lights, then reinstall the headlights.

IMAG0244-1.jpg

IMAG0245-1.jpg

IMAG0246-1.jpg

A quick test to make sure everything is hooked up right...

IMAG0247-1.jpg

And then all buttoned up and ready for the road.

IMAG0248-1.jpg

Decembersend

Dec 3, 2011
I never realized how many pics you took lmao.

Attachments

• M1570004.jpg
    M1570004.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 26
  • M1570006.jpg
    M1570006.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 27
  • M1570007.jpg
    M1570007.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 31
  • M1570010.jpg
    M1570010.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 27
  • M1570011.jpg
    M1570011.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 26
  • M1570001.jpg
    M1570001.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 26
  • M1570008.jpg
    M1570008.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 26
  • M1570009.jpg
    M1570009.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: Capote

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:dielaugh: Come on man, you know how I do! We forgot to invite Ceasar, hope he doesn't get mad for that :redface:

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
Um... you were only supposed to grind the top of the frame flat... The bottom keeps its tube nubs... If you took the bottom flat, like the top, you'll want to take the bolts off and put (2) 5/8" fender washers between the bottom of the frame, and the bumper... That's the reason it's sitting a little close to the body in the "wing" area...

Also, the light mounts are long enough that you can aim the lights and then bend the mounts to put the lights in the middle of the holes...

Looks good, though!

Mike

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Looks good on there. You only have the suspension lift right?

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Bartonmd said:
Um... you were only supposed to grind the top of the bumper flat...

:duh: His wife was telling him that before he drove up here!! :hopeless:

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Now that I think about it, we did use some washers, but on the top of the bumper, instead of the bottom. I don't remember their sizes, but everything was pretty snug once we were done. Got a LOT of attention from people passing through while working on it. :thumbsup:

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
Yeah, the washers need to be on the bottom... The top bumper mount needs to sit directly on top of the frame... Since the lower tube nub is now gone, the (2) washers per bolt need to go in the place of the bottom tube nubs, between the bottom of the frame and the bottom mount of the bumper...

Mike

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I'm pretty sure we put the washers on top of the bumper. David or Jimmy will have to confirm. I think I was running my mouth while they were tightening those down, so no pics... :redface:

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
I took a caliper to the bumper and it looked like it was made to snug the frame rail. He can always tap an alignment shim in there later

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
The washers were only added because the body lift bolts were too big and we couldn't get the perfect size bolts so we had to take up the slack to catch the threads. They are not between the bumper and the frame

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
jimmyjam said:
I took a caliper to the bumper and it looked like it was made to snug the frame rail. He can always tap an alignment shim in there later

Nope... Top smooth, bottom stock... It was made like that on Kyle's, and was on there, even after it was welded... Having been tightened down already, it's likely bent in at the bottom (Can see it in the pictures, actually), but it'll take a washer or 2 on the bottom, maybe with a little prying...

Mike

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
jimmyjam said:
The washers were only added because the body lift bolts were too big and we couldn't get the perfect size bolts so we had to take up the slack to catch the threads. They are not between the bumper and the frame

Yeah, he also needs to use his stock bolts, as they're larger than the body lift bolts (and they're stronger than grade 8)... Had I known he didn't have his stock bolts, I would have left the holes 1/2" like we had them on Kyle's, before I blew them out to 5/8" for the stock M14 bolts... The reason for using the stock bolts is because they fit tighter in the holes, and in the bumper holes, so that when you're winching at an angle, it doesn't rock the bumper up or down...

Mike

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
jimmyjam said:
I'm going to blame Carlton....

Shame on me. Guess we should take it off and ship it back to Mike then :whistle:

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
As I said, though, it's not a big deal... he just needs a pair of 5/8" washers on the bottom of the frame, on each rail, and to use the stock bolts...

Mike

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
The How-to PM from last week:

Mounting:

-Take your stock bumper and reinforcement bar off

-Grind the top of the frame, flat... Basically, grind off the top of the through-tube that the bumper bolt use, so it is flat with the rest of the frame

- Slide the bumper on over the frame, lining up the holes in the bumper with the bumper mounting holes in the frame.

- If you didn't have stock tow hooks, pull the captured nuts off of the stock reinforcement bar. Use the stock bumper mounting bolts and come up from the bottom of the frame, and use those stock mounting plate nuts on the top of the frame side of the bumper, and get finger tight. If you had stock tow hooks, I threw a couple of the M14 nuts in the box with your lights, for you to use, instead... Use your stock bolts, NOT the 3" body lift bolts...

- With the bolts in and nuts finger tight, pull the whole bumper toward the front of the vehicle, make sure the "wings" are level with the venders, and if at all possible, hold the bumper forward while tightening the bolts...

- With the bumper on, slide the winch down in it (remember, soleniod goes to the side of the winch, not right over the drum), and mark where you want to mount it...

- Pull the bumper back off, drill the holes, mount the winch, and put it back on... The winch has to be in the bumper before it goes on, or you can't get to the bolts, to tightem them...

ETA: I'm generally against sharing PMs publicly, but this is a how-to for posterity...

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
i'm the grease monkey, carlton is the intellectual...

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
jimmyjam said:

LOL, but was it written in a schematic?

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
jimmyjam said:

Sounds kinda like....

The-Fresh-Prince-LP-Hes-the-DJ-Im-the-Rapper.jpeg

djthumper said:
You trusted him to read the directions? :crazy:

Nah man, I'm in charge of MAKING documentation, not READING it!! :raspberry:

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Another mini meet this weekend, this time down on the air force base. Today's mission, install a pair of 12" and an amp in Carlos' XUV. Ceasar showed up to supervise for a bit. Unfortunately since I was doing most of the work, I wasn't able to fullfill my usual paparazzi duties :frown:

In case anyone needs to know, the XUV has it's Bose amp on the driver's side, just like the other LWBs do, even though there's no rear HVAC system on the passenger side.

IMAG0266.jpg

We cut an access hole in the side panel, and ran all of the amp's wiring through there.

IMAG0267.jpg

We hooked up everything for a test run and nothing blew up, so I guess I know a few things in the electrical department. :biggrin:

IMAG0268.jpg

IMAG0269.jpg

Thanks to the info in the http://gmtnation.com/f35/2004-bose-amp-wiring-diagram-needed-1120/ thread, we grabbed a PAC adapter and tapped into the Bose amp for the RCA signal. Factory ground in the C pillar, power from the rear fuse block (only a 200W amp) and used the HVAC fuse for the remote turn on signal. Next time around, we'll be doing the aux input through the XM connector. :thumbsup:

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Made another trip down to the AFB to do some modding. Jimmy and his new friend showed up...

IMAG0292.jpg

Carlos was working that day, so he swung by during his break to check out some of the goodies Ceasar got (Alpine type R's and some Stinger Roadkill sheets)

IMAG0293.jpg

But since we didn't rent one of the work shop bays, they kicked us out, so back to Ceasar's place to pull some panels.

IMAG0294.jpg

IMAG0295.jpg

IMAG0296.jpg

While I was swapping the stock speakers out and the new ones into the bases, Ceasar was busy lining the doors with sound deadener, so I didn't grab any pics of that.

IMAG0297.jpg

Inspired by May03LT's write up on http://gmtnation.com/f35/installing-aftermarket-tweeters-oem-bose-dash-location-420/ I used the stock tweeters to make a cardboard template for the new ones.

IMAG0298.jpg

IMAG0299.jpg

Ceasar Dremeled the templates out of some wood, while I fished the crossover wiring through the doors and up to the dash. Test fitted the wood brackets to make sure the holes were lining up.

IMAG0300.jpg

IMAG0301.jpg

IMAG0302.jpg

We started running out of sunlight, so we put the doors back together and wrapped things up. He'll have to go back to paint the tweeter brackets, and aim the tweeters in the dash and rear doors, but all in all, a pretty productive day. :thumbsup:

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Today myself, Jimmy and David decided to hit up a car show at the Quaker Steak and Lube...

IMAG0356.jpg

IMAG0357.jpg

When we first got there, an audio company there was offering to meter your sound system, so David gave it a go.

IMAG0329.jpg

IMAG0328.jpg

IMAG0330.jpg

Then we walked around for a bit, and saw some cool rides.

Bumble Bee edition Camaro
IMAG0322.jpg

IMAG0325.jpg

His & Hers Roush supercharged Mustangs (I think they were newlyweds)
IMAG0323.jpg

IMAG0324.jpg

Another one
IMAG0345.jpg

Couple lifted trucks
IMAG0327.jpg

IMAG0326.jpg

Walked by a small group of Celicas, noticed one had blue LEDs on the headlights. You know that made me take a closer look...
IMAG0331.jpg

This one had them all inside the engine bay too.
IMAG0332.jpg

IMAG0333.jpg

IMAG0334.jpg

Another one had them around the rotors. How long they last, who knows...
IMAG0335.jpg

Wolverine themed Matrix
IMAG0336.jpg

IMAG0337.jpg

Make your own conclusions
IMAG0338.jpg

Mopar section
IMAG0339.jpg

IMAG0340.jpg

IMAG0341.jpg

IMAG0343.jpg

Military themed Nissan
IMAG0344.jpg

Vette CR1
IMAG0347.jpg

IMAG0346.jpg

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
In the far corner of the parking lot, was an audio group. One guy had a small green pickup with some serious power.
IMAG0348.jpg

IMAG0349.jpg

IMAG0352.jpg

The Crown Vic police interceptor next to it wasn't too bad either
IMAG0350.jpg

IMAG0351.jpg

And you can't have a show without a major question mark! This guy took an old beat up import, and fixed it up into... I dunno... First, rear window, ram air driver AC
IMAG0354.jpg

Steering wheel accessories: dual GPS, clock (wrist watch), cell phone mount and custom multi PC fan windshield defroster, and a width of the windshield multi rear view mirror
IMAG0353.jpg

IMAG0355.jpg

There were other 'improvements' but we were poking fun at them, so I kinda felt bad...

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Maybe they're in a club similar to SSOwners?

:eek: I just noticed, in the pic with the police car, your wife is giving me the evil eye... What's up with that? :laugh:

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Today's adventure was swapping out David's rusty drive shaft with a not so rusty one :raspberry:

Out with the old...

IMAG0380.jpg

IMAG0381.jpg

IMAG0382.jpg

Junk yard drive shaft, cleaned up and painted

IMAG0383.jpg

In with the new

IMAG0385.jpg

IMAG0387.jpg

And for good measure, tweaking the panhard bar to get rid of an annoying clunk

IMAG0388.jpg

Not pictured, tried splicing in a secondary OBDII connector in my truck so I could run my Scangauge chord off that, and keep the whole thing hidden for a cleaner look. Power and ground connections worked fine, something going on with the data connection, so a recheck is in order. Also took my 80% complete CAI and test fitted it in David's truck to see how it fits on a GMT with a body lift.

Decembersend

Dec 3, 2011
The clunk came back so Jimmy suggested torquing it down so I'm going to do that tomorrow if daylight permits after work.

Good news the drive shaft feels a hell of a lot better

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
At least we know where it's coming from now, that's a big step from where we were for what... The past year or so? :confused:

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
i'm not sure why its making that noise.. just that its coming from there...

i'll get the bar off of the junkyard one later in the week

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.