Currently Offline
    65 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Iowa
    2004 GMC Envoy
    SLT 4.2L I6 4X4
    Light Tarnished Silver Metallic

2004 Bose amp wiring diagram needed

I'm going to be hooking up a small sub in my son's '04 Envoy and trying to find the Bose amp wiring diagram to tie into the front door speaker pre-amp wires. I have done lots of searches on multiple sites and have found the 2005 (LUX version) but nothing for my '04 (non-LUX version). Any input is appreciated.

Currently Online
    2,028 Posts Since Nov 2011
    Delaware
    2003 Chevy TrailBlazer
    LT 4.2L I6 4X4
    These are for an 03 with premium audio. Since you specifically mentioned the front door speakers it sounds like you already know why folks recommend using them. So I included the amp output diagram as well.

Currently Offline
    65 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Iowa
    2004 GMC Envoy
    SLT 4.2L I6 4X4
    MAY03LT, thanks for the diagrams and thanks for all the maintenance videos you've done. Pink Floyd would be proud of your singing too

Currently Offline
    65 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Iowa
    2004 GMC Envoy
    SLT 4.2L I6 4X4
    On more thing MAY03LT, do you mind telling me which are the front speaker pre-amp leads? The schematic is too small for me to tell and when I make it larger it just gets fuzzy. Thanks!

+left -
    -left -
    +right -
    -left -

Currently Online
    Delaware
    2003 Chevy TrailBlazer
    LT 4.2L I6 4X4
    Quote Originally Posted by Guenther View Post
    On more thing MAY03LT, do you mind telling me which are the front speaker pre-amp leads? The schematic is too small for me to tell and when I make it larger it just gets fuzzy. Thanks!
    They sure are, shame on me for not previewing the post.

These are the front low level outs from the radio to the amp.

+left - tan
    -left - dark green
    +right - light green
    -right - orange/black

These are the outputs from the amp to the front doors (after being eq'd).

+left - tan
    - left - gray
    + right - light green
    - right - dark green

I haven't done this myself but I've heard all kinds of opinions on which way works best. The majority says that the outputs from the amp to the front doors are preferred for subwoofers.

MAY03LT, thanks for the diagrams and thanks for all the maintenance videos you've done. Pink Floyd would be proud of your singing too
    You're welcome!

Currently Offline
    65 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Iowa
    2004 GMC Envoy
    SLT 4.2L I6 4X4
    You da man!

Currently Offline
    2,959 Posts Since Nov 2011
    Tampa Bay Area, Florida
    2005 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT
    LS 4.2L I6 2WD
    Nice timing fellas. My buddy wants me to help him install some subs in his stock Voy w/Bose, this is just the info I was about to search for.
    Carlton - You can't have my fish, but if you ask nicely, I'll help you catch your own

Currently Offline
    65 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Iowa
    2004 GMC Envoy
    SLT 4.2L I6 4X4
    I got it all wired up in anticipation of the amped sub coming and I'm a little corn-fused. Listed you have the post-amp as:

+left - tan
    - left - gray
    + right - light green
    - right - dark green

I did not have a gray wire but an orange/black instead in the bundle of front wires so it wasn't like the diagram above nor like the 2005 lux version. I'm hoping I'm good to go but until the amped sub gets here I won't know. I did some searching and it looks like GM used my 2004 amp (#15112641) for only a few months and then went to the non-lux. I used the rear fuse panel for power since it's only 150W max and a ground on the rear seats. Finding the trigger is the hard part I think. I tied into the radio fuse but I don't know if that will work because I think I read that it wouldn't power on others because it is a pulse signal. I can't see anything that will give power in the ACC and only in the RUN. There is the fuse for the Bose amp but I don't want to overload that circuit. I'm not sure where to tie into

Currently Offline
    2,959 Posts Since Nov 2011
    Tampa Bay Area, Florida
    2005 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT
    LS 4.2L I6 2WD
    The remote signal just triggers the relay in the amp to draw power from the main source. It's not drawing enough to overload anything.
    Carlton - You can't have my fish, but if you ask nicely, I'll help you catch your own

Administrator

Currently Online
    7,799 Posts Since Nov 2011
    North San Diego County, CA
    2004 GMC Envoy
    SLT 4.2L I6 4X4
    Liquid Silver Metallic
    Where to find switched power:

If you go to the ignition switch:
    RED on the ignition switch is 12V, fused by underhood fuse #34, and feeds the following three circuits:

White is hot in ACCY, RUN, START
    Orange is hot in RUN
    Yellow is hot in START

RED/WHITE is another 12V, fused by underhood fuse #36, and feeds two circuits:

Brown is hot in ACCY, RUN
    Pink is hot in RUN, START

If you go after the fuse block path, using an add-a-fuse gadget:

On in RUN/ACCY modes only:

rear fuse #29 - Rain sensor (rare option) 10A
    rear #33 - front wiper motor - 25A
    rear #31 - TBC ACC - 3A

ACCY, RUN, and START:

rear fuses 47 (IGN 0)
    50 (TBC IG)

RUN only mode:

front fuses 22 (IGN E)
    16 (TBC IGN 1)
    27 (BACKUP)
    28 (PCM 1)
    54 (AIR SOL)
    53 (O2 A
    54 (O2 B)
    26 (ENG 1)

Plus some fuses that are fed by RAP that I haven't documented yet.

GMTNation Abides
    - Bill
    From my Golden Age of Offroading (2005-2009): Trail Report & Picture Thread

Currently Online
    Delaware
    2003 Chevy TrailBlazer
    LT 4.2L I6 4X4
    I did not have a gray wire but an orange/black instead in the bundle of front wires so it wasn't like the diagram above nor like the 2005 lux version.
    I compared the original diagram posted with one from an 04 and they are identical.

What they are showing is in the amps 24 pin connector, one row has 4 empty cavities followed by Tan and then Gray. Those are the LF outputs from the amp. The two next to them, light green then dark green, are for the RF outputs. The other row has every cavity filled, including the nearly identically-colored input wires, again all next to each other (org/black, light green, dark green, tan).

If your 24 pin does not have the wires oriented that way, let me know what is different and I'll see what I can find.

Currently Offline
    201 Posts Since Dec 2011
    S.E. Pa.
    2005 Chevy TrailBlazer
    LT 4.2L I6 4X4
    Black
    02-04 bose amp.jpgThe colors you gave match what I have also.

Currently Offline
    65 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Iowa
    2004 GMC Envoy
    SLT 4.2L I6 4X4
    I've got no gray at all in that harness. I took several pictures knowing that I was probably going to need to put them up for help. Take a peek and let me know what you think. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Guenther; 01-06-2012 at 08:34 AM.

Currently Offline
    65 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Iowa
    2004 GMC Envoy
    SLT 4.2L I6 4X4
    By Black LT's diagram I'm wiring to the wrong damn harness!?!?!!?

Currently Offline
    65 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Iowa
    2004 GMC Envoy
    SLT 4.2L I6 4X4
    Roadie, thanks for the triggers. Black LT and MAY03LT, thanks for the diagrams.

Currently Offline
    65 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Iowa
    2004 GMC Envoy
    SLT 4.2L I6 4X4
    Quote Originally Posted by MAY03LT View Post
    I compared the original diagram posted with one from an 04 and they are identical.

What they are showing is in the amps 24 pin connector, one row has 4 empty cavities followed by Tan and then Gray. Those are the LF outputs from the amp. The two next to them, light green then dark green, are for the RF outputs. The other row has every cavity filled, including the nearly identically-colored input wires, again all next to each other (org/black, light green, dark green, tan).

If your 24 pin does not have the wires oriented that way, let me know what is different and I'll see what I can find.

The pins must be different on mine than the '03s because they had this Bose amp for a few months and then to the lux?

Currently Online
    Delaware
    2003 Chevy TrailBlazer
    LT 4.2L I6 4X4
    By Black LT's diagram I'm wiring to the wrong damn harness!?!?!!?
    Nah, his UQA diagram matches mine, which I went and compared to all 03-07s with UQA.

I used your pics to compare to the amp pinouts, and low and behold, buried in the amp connector section, they have separate class2/non class 2 pinouts (at least in the 04 manual, I didn't check the rest).

In yours, which is class 2, the front door speaker outs are in the 8 pin connector that you posted, and the wire colors are the same that I posted earlier.

edit: now looking back it's obvious that the front door outputs are in C2. The pinout that I used for double checking was for C1 (non class2) and since everything "was there" it didn't raise a red flag.
    Last edited by MAY03LT; 01-05-2012 at 08:52 PM.

Currently Offline
    65 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Iowa
    2004 GMC Envoy
    SLT 4.2L I6 4X4
    Nah, his UQA diagram matches mine, which I went and compared to all 03-07s with UQA.

I used your pics to compare to the amp pinouts, and low and behold, buried in the amp connector section, they have separate class2/non class 2 pinouts (at least in the 04 manual, I didn't check the rest).

In yours, which is class 2, the front door speaker outs are in the 8 pin connector that you posted, and the wire colors are the same that I posted earlier.
    GM can lick my butt with all the changes they make. Time for me to do some rewiring tomorrow but no big deal I guess. Thanks for all the help fellas!

Currently Online
    Delaware
    2003 Chevy TrailBlazer
    LT 4.2L I6 4X4
    GM can lick my butt with all the changes they make. Time for me to do some rewiring tomorrow but no big deal I guess. Thanks for all the help fellas!
    Yeah, and classifying multiple audio systems under a single RPO code doesn't make our job any easier.

Thanks for posting the pics btw.

Currently Offline
    65 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Iowa
    2004 GMC Envoy
    SLT 4.2L I6 4X4
    Got the Kenwood KSC-SW10 installed using the revised wiring. I put it in the rear cubby area so it's totally out of the way and you don't know it's even there. It's a small flat amped/sub and adds enough bass to make the Bose system tolerable. I'm pleased with the way it turned out and thanks for all the help.

Currently Online
    Delaware
    2003 Chevy TrailBlazer
    LT 4.2L I6 4X4
    Glad to hear that it worked out for ya, thanks for the update!

Currently Online
    272 Posts Since Jun 2012
    Iowa
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer
    LTZ 4.2L I6 4X4
    Forest Green Metallic
    They sure are, shame on me for not previewing the post.

These are the front low level outs from the radio to the amp.

+left - tan
    -left - dark green
    +right - light green
    -right - orange/black

These are the outputs from the amp to the front doors (after being eq'd).

+left - tan
    - left - gray
    + right - light green
    - right - dark green

I haven't done this myself but I've heard all kinds of opinions on which way works best. The majority says that the outputs from the amp to the front doors are preferred for subwoofers.

You're welcome!

Thanks for this. I had issues with My wifes voy a while ago.. What i used was the scosche Fai-3a. and I installed it behind the HU. well it wouldn't turn up or down with the volume, just a set volume. Was driving me crazy, just didn't really want to take it all apart and install it post amp.. Well today I finally did. Followed the wiring that you gave here and noticed that it wasn't as loud as it was. then i unplugged one of the rca cables and it got as loud as it was before. Plugged it back in and it wasn't as loud. I got lucky and happen to make sure the connections were tight on the scosche unit and i could pull the right neg wire out. when i did that it got loud again. so i switched the right neg. with the right pos. and it worked. Now then i went and checked the wires and the right wires are backwards on our truck the right pos is dark green and the right neg is light green or I just happened to get a F**ked up scosche unit and it was backwards on their part. Either way it works and sounds really good for just one twelve. I just figured that I would share what happened to me just in case anyone else has issues like this and they can have something to try.

Currently Offline
    3 Posts Since Jul 2013
    Hidalgo,TX

These are for an 03 with premium audio. Since you specifically mentioned the front door speakers it sounds like you already know why folks recommend using them. So I included the amp output diagram as well.

can you tell me the color for the rear low level inputs? i am trying to wire up a auxiliary input directly. cant tell what it says on your diagram,too blurry.
    i'm hoping to get better quality than an fm-modulator and dont want to buy the expensive harness.

Administrator

Currently Online
    2004 GMC Envoy
    SLT 4.2L I6 4X4
    Liquid Silver Metallic
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinez_LJC View Post
    can you tell me the color for the rear low level inputs? i am trying to wire up a auxiliary input directly. cant tell what it says on your diagram,too blurry.
    i'm hoping to get better quality than an fm-modulator and dont want to buy the expensive harness.
    The schematics you linked to don't have that connection sheet anyway. Did you not find what you need in posts 5 or 12?

GMTNation Abides
    - Bill

Currently Offline
    3 Posts Since Jul 2013
    Hidalgo,TX
    Quote Originally Posted by the roadie View Post
    The schematics you linked to don't have that connection sheet anyway. Did you not find what you need in posts 5 or 12?
    No only MAY03LT's first sheet has the rear low level signals,towards the right side of the sheet. I'm just not able to read the color of the leads.
    Black LTs schematic has clear letters but only has front signals on his sheet.

Administrator

Currently Online
    2004 GMC Envoy
    SLT 4.2L I6 4X4
    Liquid Silver Metallic
    Ahhhhhh, sorry. I get it now. You haven't shared what year you have, but in my '04 schematics, there are two versions. The Class 2 amp does the front/rear fading by way of a data link command, so there are no separate front/rear low level signals going to the Bose power amp. And the colors are given in post 5.

If you have the non-Class 2 amp, then the rear low level signals are:

Left + BN/WH
    Left - D-GN/WH
    Right + D-BU
    Right - BK

GMTNation Abides
    - Bill

Currently Offline
    3 Posts Since Jul 2013
    Hidalgo,TX

Quote Originally Posted by the roadie View Post
    Ahhhhhh, sorry. I get it now. You haven't shared what year you have, but in my '04 schematics, there are two versions. The Class 2 amp does the front/rear fading by way of a data link command, so there are no separate front/rear low level signals going to the Bose power amp. And the colors are given in post 5.

If you have the non-Class 2 amp, then the rear low level signals are:

Left + BN/WH
    Left - D-GN/WH
    Right + D-BU
    Right - BK
    My bad its for an 03 envoy.my harness is identical to the images Guenther posted. the wires you wrote down arent on any harness as you can see on his pics would it be a different diagram?