Tailpipe threw a hairball today

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
Kinda freaked me out when I first saw it.

Didn't find anything on it searching here, but on the OS there are a number of threads. Thought I would link back to some of those threads for anyone searching here.

Muffler Blew Its Stuffing [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

15 ft. of hairlike stuff coming out exhaust - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

My pictures from today:

View attachment 22654

Supposedly, it's fiberglass from the muffler. Doesn't seem to have a major impact on much, except your brain while you wait to figure out what the heck is going on with it.

So, what I'm thinking is (since I still haven't gotten around to the backpressure test yet) if I have the exhaust pressure to push that fiberglass from the muffler out the tailpipe .... the cat is probably not blocked.

Attachments

• tailpipe trouble 1.jpg
    tailpipe trouble 1.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 206
  • tailpipe trouble 2.jpg
    tailpipe trouble 2.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 208

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
looks like the fiberglass from your resonator.. not your muffler... happens to alot of us SS folks...

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Oh, no! :eek:

Lots of people mistake that for muffler fiberglass. It's really your air filter disintegrating, and the fragments being processed by passing through the combustion process and re-extruded through the muffler and resonator pipe holes like cotton candy. The muffler fiberglass is out of the exhaust flow path and can't come out like this.
Of course, I'm kidding. :raspberry:

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
the roadie said:
Oh, no! :eek:

Lots of people mistake that for muffler fiberglass. It's really your air filter disintegrating, and the fragments being processed by passing through the combustion process and re-extruded through the muffler and resonator pipe holes like cotton candy. The muffler fiberglass is out of the exhaust flow path and can't come out like this.
Of course, I'm kidding. :raspberry:

See ... I make a couple real easy repairs, I start to think I know something .... fortunately you all are ready to keep me humble when I spout off in public.:blinkhuh:

Everybody I talked to before I posted said "muffler". Can't tell if they didn't know the difference between the resonator and the muffler, or just couldn't believe that I would.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
nu5y2u3a.jpg

It is fiber glass and comes from the resonator. Did the MUFFLER delete on my SS.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
jrSS said:
nu5y2u3a.jpg

It is fiber glass and comes from the resonator. Did the MUFFLER delete on my SS.

I was wondering about this for Phantom. I was thinking on putting a new sleek looking magnaflow res and deleting the muffler for a meaner sound. But I don't know if it would work the same on my truck or not. The SS sounds sick with or without the muffler/res, but not sure if we would get the same effect on the I6 LWB.

Jeff do you know if it can be done? Well...let me rephrase that as it can be done, but do you know of anyone who has done this to my type of truck and got the same or close results to all the SS video's?

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Never heard the 5.3 muffler delete. I imagine it would sound good tho.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
jrSS said:
Never heard the 5.3 muffler delete. I imagine it would sound good tho.

I have the 4.2 lol Wish I had the 5.3 though as I would imagine it would sound better than the I6. I guess I have some research to do :biggrin:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
jrSS said:
Oh yea. Duh. 4.2 probably sound like a fart can. Lol

LOL that is funny shit right there! Maybe I will just keep it how it is, the slight drone of no res is pretty nice, although my neighbors don't care for it much at 4:30am :rotfl:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Voymom said:
LOL that is funny shit right there! Maybe I will just keep it how it is, the slight drone of no res is pretty nice, although my neighbors don't care for it much at 4:30am :rotfl:

Your neighbors complain about your stock exhaust minus the resonator? Resonator deletes barely makes a difference :crackup:.. you must have some anal neighbors that you pissed off a loooong time ago :rotfl:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Boricua SS said:
Your neighbors complain about your stock exhaust minus the resonator? Resonator deletes barely makes a difference :crackup:.. you must have some anal neighbors that you pissed off a loooong time ago :rotfl:

Actually ours made quite a noise difference when we deleted the resonator. I can hear hubby about a block away with the res off the truck. And yes I pissed off my fair share of neighbors, but they will get over it :rotfl: I can't wait to park the ass end of Phantom near their house when they have their house windows down, and give them a good smoke show :thumbsup:

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Voymom said:
Actually ours made quite a noise difference when we deleted the resonator.

With the 5.3 and no resonator, my truck is what I consider very civil. Even when you get on it, it is not terribly loud. Walking around the back when it is idling is only slightly louder than the wife's Impala with a 3.8 (and the res).

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Maybe I need to get a video. ours is pretty loud. It has a very deep thunder-ish sound to it especially at idle. When I get on the gas, it sounds normal.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Voymom said:
Here is the video...sorry for hijacking lol

VID 20120907 153455 - YouTube

Not as bad as I thought from the way you were making it sound. Granted, it does have a little "rattle" to it when it is revved. I'll try to get one this weekend of mine.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
C-ya said:
Not as bad as I thought from the way you were making it sound. Granted, it does have a little "rattle" to it when it is revved. I'll try to get one this weekend of mine.

I can hear him come about a block away, I think it's due in part that we live in a pretty quiet, country setting without much white noise. Plus I think the way the houses are set up it causes an echo.

I am also basing the noise off of the comments when I was trying to convince my husband to cut the can off, and posters said you can't really notice a noise difference, which was BS :rotfl: But i'm happy with it, I do wish I had more noise to it, I want the big boy to sound pissed when I'm driving through town :biggrin:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
jrSS said:
Oh yea. Duh. 4.2 probably sound like a fart can. Lol

Yeah, it pretty much does from every sound clip I've heard.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Sparky said:
Yeah, it pretty much does from every sound clip I've heard.

:hahano: :smiley_kill: :suicide:

Does not :tongue:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I meant it sounds like a fart pipe if you remove the muffler, not just the resonator.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Sparky said:
I meant it sounds like a fart pipe if you remove the muffler, not just the resonator.

:blinkhuh:

WTF is a fart pipe lol....

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Voymom said:
:blinkhuh:

WTF is a fart pipe lol....

The little ricer cars with the fat can in the back. I call them fart cans.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
When I had the res. deleted on my envoy (4.2) I could only notice the sound difference, besides the drone in the cab. Dunno why yours sounds different.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432

Members Online