Tahoe Springs

LilMule

Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
Hey all, I was just wondering where everyone gets the Tahoe springs they use for the rear suspension? Are they only available via ebay or other private sellers? I was on Rock Auto and they have a number of different brands of "heavy duty" springs for the Tahoe. Are any of these comparable to the stock Z71 springs that people here use?

Next question, if I want to use these springs, am I then prohibited from lifting my truck? Basically, are they only good for people who want heavier suspensions but don't want to do any extra lifting (either body or suspension)?

Thanks!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The part number for them is posted all over and typically Ebay was the best pricing. Might find some for sale on ORTB.

they add lift, but do not prevent additional lifting of any sort.

LilMule

Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
I'm assuming you're talking about these part numbers:
GM Part #15234633 or #25978750

Are there any comparable off-brand springs (like on Rock Auto), or are these the only ones worth using? It would be nice to not have to spend $90+ per spring if I can avoid it.

Thanks for the info about lifting.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I don't know the numbers offhand, but there are Moog ones that have been used on ORTB and they may have posted the part number.

I always thought the z71 could be found cheap as take offs, but those days may be gone. I think when I tried them years ago it was $50 shipped for a pair. I did not like them at all though and sold em.

LilMule

Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
Is there a reason you didn't like them? Was the ride too stiff? I noticed on other threads and forums that some people were put off by the stiffness.

What springs do you use now?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I use the Skyjacker C25R coils in the rear with no spacers.

I did not like how firm the Z71 were. I got some random 2 inch japanese lift coils and replaced the z71 but those failed on a Tecore trip so i went to the skyjackers.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Just one opinion. Lots of guys like them, but i was commuting on shitty urban roads then and hated it.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Tahoe springs add an inch or inch and a half of lift.
You can still lift more via spacers in the rear if desired. Also nothing changes on front lift options. You can definitely still do a body lift since they have zero effect on that aspect as well.

Reactions: Inert_Static

BC backroader

Sep 6, 2014
LilMule, I put the Tahoe Z71 springs on my TB EXT, along with Mark Mc's 2.5" lift/level kit, with no issues at all. The taller springs and lift spacer require that the shocks be replaced with longer ones; I used the BDS 55619 units, as they are a direct fit for our trucks' shock mounts.

I am very pleased with the somewhat firmer ride in the rear, as I felt the truck was too "floaty" with the stock setup. It now feels more planted at speed on the freeway, and tracks better on the washboard logging roads that I often run on.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaywebb25