Switching to Synthetic

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
When you buy the oil it is sealed, so it should last on the shelf for a while just fine. I think once you open it and especially after you put it in the engine, introducing contaminants to it, is when age can cause it to break down over time. At least that's how I understand it.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Correct, oil like anything does break down over a given period of time. Introduce to that an extremely harsh environment involving high speed rotation, lots of metal on metal contact, and of course high and extremely variable temperature changes. Remember that in an engine the only thing protecting vital moving components is a very thin film of oil. As the oil molecules break down, the viscosity changes as well as the molecular structure changes with contaminants and other foreign objects (debris, fuel, etc). Not to mention just basic shelf life.

I know the Navy is very stringent on shelf life, when it expires test can be ran to extend the shelf life or remove the object, material from service.

blazinlow89 said:
Girlfriend has a VW, 0w-40 mobil 1 is the ONLY oil I can use based on the VW warranty spec. THere are some others but that is all I can find in my area. 2.5 l engine uses 6 quarts and $10 mann filter cartridge.:crazy:

You might want to look into AMSOIL. In my signature is the link for vehicle specific look up. Check it out, you have other options. Let me know if I can help you.

Steve

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Steve A said:
You might want to look into AMSOIL. In my signature is the link for vehicle specific look up. Check it out, you have other options. Let me know if I can help you.

Steve

I checked, VW said that amsoil does not comply with VW 505.01. It does "meets or exceeds", VW's specifications, however VW has not authorized it as an approved oil. This is of course during warranty coverage. Her warranty doesn't expire until 78k miles or 2014.

Shdwdrgn said:
I don't understand this... What does the amount of time have to do with the wear on the oil? I can understand changing oil based on mileage because that is a good indicator of how much use the engine has seen. But changing the oil just because it is a year old? Does it break down from sitting in the vehicle? If I buy a case of oil, some of it could sit on the shelf for a couple years before it gets used, so does this mean I am putting bad oil in my vehicles?

Yes, I'm being a bit sarcastic, but at the same time, I really want to know the reasoning behind this.

To answer your first question, most (not all) vehicle manufacturers suggest that your oil be changed once a year regardless of oil life. Is that always the case? Maybe. Example: (ill use me) I am in the Navy. I just changed my oil prior to a 6 month deployment and drove maybe 500 miles before I left. I put my truck in storage and we get extended on deployment for an additional 4 months. So my truck has been idle for 10 months, with 500 miles on the oil. so now I am home and only have 2 months left before my year is up. Do I drive for an additional 2 months and change the oil just because it was at a year with only maybe 1500 miles? Me personally I would get an analysis on the oil and take it from there. In all reality I would drive the truck for the amount of time that I was gone.

Someone puts in our signature series oil January 1. December 31 rolls around and according to the mileage they have only driven 12,500 miles. (half of the oils rated life). Do you change the oil? What does the oil look like, how contaminated is it? I would get an analysis and see how the oil has broken down and if the lubrication properties are still within standards to protect the investment before I changed the oil.

I do not know if oil breaks down from sitting in the vehicle, I do know that oil does not break down from sitting in a bottle on a shelf, so if you buy a case of oil and use 7 quarts out of the case, the remaining cases will be fine on the shelf.

I hope I answered your questions, I just used the materials that AMSOIL taught me to use.

Steve

blazinlow89 said:
I checked, VW said that amsoil does not comply with VW 505.01. It does "meets or exceeds", VW's specifications, however VW has not authorized it as an approved oil. This is of course during warranty coverage. Her warranty doesn't expire until 78k miles or 2014.

I attached a link for you to read. It may shed light on warranties and YOUR choice of motor oil. (not just AMSOIL)

Warranties and AMSOIL

Steve

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Engine oil will absorb a certain amount of moisture. Not getting it fully warmed up can lead on a regular basis and cooking the moisture out can lead to other problems. Someone with a show car putting barely 1K on it a year will benefit from changingtheir oil every year.

One thing I read about dino oil is that if you store it in a cold location (garage/shed) for a while it will thicken and increase its lower weight number. I had an OLD bottle of 10W-30 I was going to use in my lawn mower and after checking it it was much thicker than a new bottle I also had. I ended up putting it in my oil container for recycling.

If you really want low temperature flow, go with a synthetic.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
I just dont trust Amsoil's Signature series. There was a supplier that did do the 25,000 mile oil change on his Lexus truck on another forum and had to have a rebuild from the waste/ Gunk in his engine. Royal Purple has great reviews and never heard anything bad. Amsoil, I have heard somethings and I know your promoting your product and Its a great one! But, I think there is always something similar or better.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
drwfaulk said:
I've been running purple for a while and no problems my dad uses it in his frontier and mom uses it in her sierra, acually I just changed the oil this weekend too
bb513b7a.jpg

8dc0d4ae.jpg

Thanks! When did you switch over?And is there a reason you use 10w-30 or no?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Personally I don't care what brand of oil it is, 25,000 miles is too many. My oil change light kicks on around half that, and that's when I change it (running Mobil 1 myself). If I used amsoil I would still change it when the light kicked on at more than likely around the same time. If the light didn't turn on by the time I was pushing closer to 14,000 I'd start wondering if the OLM puked and I would change it.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Steve unfortunately the aftermarket warranty has it stated that I must use manufacturer spec materials for maintenance, which means we have to comply with the 505.01 specs to keep the warranty valid.

I found an oil test I seen a few years back, it is not definitive guide, it does give basics. This test does give a good example of something that does happen in the engine. It represents the point when the spark plug fires and pushes the cylinder down, creating the highest possibility of metal on metal contact.

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil Tests.pdf

Yes I know alot of these are not available in America as well.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I'm with Sparky. I change my oil every 3k miles. I may go 200-250 miles over but never any more than that. I have used full synthetic since I could remember. I don't think I have full synthetic in the voy right now(just bought it 4 weeks ago) but I plan on changing the oil this weekend just in case so that I can put in my own full synthetic. I usually use the Mobile 1 with the fram oil filter. I would always change my oil at 3k miles no matter what oil I have in my vehicles. My husband is slightly annoyed at that fact because he says I can go about 8k before really needing a change, but I just can't see myself going that long in between changes. I do my own oil changes as well. It's a complete rip off to take a vehicle in to someone else...especially for something so easy. But then again, we do most of our own mechanical work..and I mean "we" as in my hubby :biggrin:

As far as synthetic causing leaks...it's BS :yes:

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Voymom said:
I'm with Sparky. I change my oil every 3k miles. I may go 200-250 miles over but never any more than that. I have used full synthetic since I could remember. I don't think I have full synthetic in the voy right now(just bought it 4 weeks ago) but I plan on changing the oil this weekend just in case so that I can put in my own full synthetic. I usually use the Mobile 1 with the fram oil filter. I would always change my oil at 3k miles no matter what oil I have in my vehicles. My husband is slightly annoyed at that fact because he says I can go about 8k before really needing a change, but I just can't see myself going that long in between changes. I do my own oil changes as well. It's a complete rip off to take a vehicle in to someone else...especially for something so easy. But then again, we do most of our own mechanical work..and I mean "we" as in my hubby :biggrin:

As far as synthetic causing leaks...it's BS :yes:

I mean with an older car it makes since. when changing diff oils, there is gunk between gasket and metal and that could cause a small leak but a new Gasket would be easy to replace, I am going to start with half and half now. and Then fully switch over. Keep changing my mind about how much! lol:crazy:
Thanks Everybody!

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
03envoy said:
I mean with an older car it makes since. when changing diff oils, there is gunk between gasket and metal and that could cause a small leak but a new Gasket would be easy to replace, I am going to start with half and half now. and Then fully switch over. Keep changing my mind about how much! lol:crazy:
Thanks Everybody!

Yes, it is the dino oil gunk that plugs the leaks, but in my opinion...if the vehicle is going to leak, it's going to leak regardless what oil you use, whether it is full synthetic or dino. I really don't think that there is a permanent way out of a leaky truck, except of course to fix it? If you have leaks, it will eventually show no matter what you use. Just my opinion. But if you feel better doing half and half go for it lol

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Voymom said:
Yes, it is the dino oil gunk that plugs the leaks, but in my opinion...if the vehicle is going to leak, it's going to leak regardless what oil you use, whether it is full synthetic or dino. I really don't think that there is a permanent way out of a leaky truck, except of course to fix it? If you have leaks, it will eventually show no matter what you use. Just my opinion. But if you feel better doing half and half go for it lol

lol Yea, Just makes me feel better! lol

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Voymom said:
I'm with Sparky. I change my oil every 3k miles. I may go 200-250 miles over but never any more than that...

Best thing to really know the answer of where your engine sits is to get an analysis which I am planning to do on the Envoy when I change its oil. Right now that is planned for around 5K miles but it will also be weather dependant. No reason to freeze :crazy:

I've got the oil life monitor programmed into my Scan Guage and I've noticed during this cold snap its dropping quicker. It reads out to tenths of a percent on the Scan Guage so its really obvious. Guesstimates are putting it at 50% left with 5K on the oil. When they say the OLM takes starting temperature into account, I'll agree with them.

Mark20 said:
Best thing to really know the answer of where your engine sits is to get an analysis which I am planning to do on the Envoy when I change its oil. Right now that is planned for around 5K miles but it will also be weather dependant. No reason to freeze :crazy:

I've got the oil life monitor programmed into my Scan Guage and I've noticed during this cold snap its dropping quicker. It reads out to tenths of a percent on the Scan Guage so its really obvious. Guesstimates are putting it at 50% left with 5K on the oil. When they say the OLM takes starting temperature into account, I'll agree with them.

I wonder how many times I will have to reset my OLM before I have to change my filter when I install my by-pass filter... its gonna be CRAZY!!! :jawdrop2:

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
I would think changing synthetic oil every 3k miles is a waste of oil unless you only put like 6k per year on your vehicle.
I could see in a little 4cyl that uses 4qts with dino oil changing it every 3k but with synthetic I would double that.
I feel like I am changing mine too soon in the TB at 7500 miles with synthetic.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
I've been a long time user of the Royal Purple oil and it is great. I've probably gone through 25-30 quarts so far (I have 16 left). The TBN starts at around 12 and you can get atleast 6,000 miles out of it (according to my oil analysis). The longest I've gone on it is 6,000 miles. I just get too antsy about changing the oil and getting underneath the rig.

Also take into consideration the oil filter too. Personally, Purolator PureOne hold the most contaminants because it has more pleats. But then there are arguments pertaining to that it slows down oil flow. M1 is so so and K&N is a step up. BITOG is a good site to read through.

If you get a bypass setup like I have installed recently, I don't know how long synthetic oil will last. Of course I will be analyzing it every 5-6K mile interval and I'll post it up for all to see if it was worth it. But right now the oil is still golden after 3,000 miles.

You can mix dino and synthetic, not a problem. Just drain the dyno and add synthetic. If you want before you drain is to run some Seafoam though the sump just to get gunk (if there is any) moving.

Amsoil I have heard great things also. It will be giving it a try after I use up my remaining RP in the garage.

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
I have been using amsoil for years now and have been happy. The extended oil change intervals are nice.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Voymom said:
I change my oil every 3k miles. I may go 200-250 miles over but never any more than that. I have used full synthetic since I could remember. I don't think I have full synthetic in the voy right now(just bought it 4 weeks ago) but I plan on changing the oil this weekend just in case so that I can put in my own full synthetic. I usually use the Mobile 1 with the fram oil filter. I would always change my oil at 3k miles no matter what oil I have in my vehicles. My husband is slightly annoyed at that fact because he says I can go about 8k before really needing a change, but I just can't see myself going that long in between changes. :yes:

I have to go with your husband on this one Voymom.Your engine doesn't know that you are throwing away perfectly good syn oil so it promises you nothing in return.
You were spot on about the leaks,"if it's going to leak it will regardless of the oil".....my 2 cents,mike.

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
IMO, using botique oils like Royal Purple are wayyyy overkill for the I6 engine and not economically reasonable unless you plan on running that oil out to 12000 miles at least. I go 8000 miles on Valvoline synthetic and the two times Ive had my used oil analyzed, the laboratory recommended going at least 4000 miles longer because I had no wear metals and there were more than enough detergents and additives left in the oil. I have 153,000 miles and I drive very, ahem, spirited :biggrin:

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I just switched from dino to synthetic today. I did use castrol dino and ran it for 9000 miles and the oil still looked good. It was a lil dark. So my question is how long should I run my synthetic b4 my next oil change? Using mobil1 5w/30 of course w/ mobile1 filter. I was thinking 12000k.

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
silvernclean said:
I just switched from dino to synthetic today. I did use castrol dino and ran it for 9000 miles and the oil still looked good. It was a lil dark. So my question is how long should I run my synthetic b4 my next oil change? Using mobil1 5w/30 of course w/ mobile1 filter. I was thinking 12000k.

I would run that oil change according to the very well designed GM oil life monitor... that should get you to at least 10000 miles.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
MichEnvoyGuy said:
I would run that oil change according to the very well designed GM oil life monitor... that should get you to at least 10000 miles.

K thanks!

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
MichEnvoyGuy said:

I guess people will always question new technology but,the oil life monitor is something that you should force yourself to get used to,it's good for your vehicle,wallet and environment.
If it didn't work in practice GM would have the most to lose in terms of warranty claims and reputation.Running syn oil and using the OLM seems to be a win win....Mike.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I don't have the dic and I don't wanna run till the check oil dummy light shows up. I don't have all the goodies.

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
MichEnvoyGuy said:

Yep, I agree.

I switched to all synthetic at the very first oil change back in '02, and use the OLM ever since. Average oil change is around 10K, but it went as far as 11.5k once. Engine has never been rebuilt or opened-up for anything other than throttle body cleanings.....sits at idle at 650rpm, and is still smooth as glass. :thumbsup:

MacMan said:
Yep, I agree.

I switched to all synthetic at the very first oil change back in '02, and use the OLM ever since. Average oil change is around 10K, but it went as far as 11.5k once. Engine has never been rebuilt or opened-up for anything other than throttle body cleanings.....sits at idle at 650rpm, and is still smooth as glass. :thumbsup:

I just hit 12,567 miles on my AMSOIL and when the analysis bottle gets here I will send it off and see what comes back. I fully plan to run it another 12.5k and change it at 25k. (Signature series 5w30 25k or 1 year).

Once the oil is time to be changed I am installing a bypass filter and should only have to change the filter every 25k miles and the bypass filter yearly. Check the oil levels at fill ups and top off as necessary.

By-pass

Drain Interval Charts

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
silvernclean said:
I don't have the dic and I don't wanna run till the check oil dummy light shows up. I don't have all the goodies.

You can treat yourself to a Scan Gauge and program in the oil life monitor. Gives you a whole host of goodies plus being able to program different readings.

You guys are making me rethink my first synthetic -> synthetic oil change. Going from dino to synthetic I ran Amsoil Flush through and am planning to do the next oil change at 5k miles just because the synthetic will have done its own work cleaning things out. Mobil 1's recommendation is basically two quick oil changes to let it do the work. Something like 25% and 50% of your normal oil change interval and then back to your normal regimen.

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
Mark20 said:
....Mobil 1's recommendation is basically two quick oil changes to let it do the work. Something like 25% and 50% of your normal oil change interval and then back to your normal regimen.

Yes, for a RACING engine, that is the proper procedure, but on a street engine, just change the oil and be done with it....you'll never know the difference. At MOST, just change the filter after 3-4K.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
northcreek said:
You were spot on about the leaks,"if it's going to leak it will regardless of the oil".....my 2 cents,mike.

Could be the case with these motors but I can say for certain, my trusty 90 grand am with the 2.5 Iron Duke started to leak oil like a champ after I switched to Mobil 1. I had about 50-60K on it when I switched and the oil pan was relentless on dumping oil. The pan seal was RTV black only and the front lip had a thicker bead and was a PITA to seal up. Took about 1 change and it loosened the grime up and I changed the dino religously every 3-4K.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online