Switching to Synthetic

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
I am going to be changing all my oil's soon and I have came accross this Royal Purple motor oil, I have heard great things about this oil. But, My main concern is changing to synthetic. I have 112,000 miles on my envoy and want to change to synthetic, And have heard stories from changing to synthetic can cause leaks and other problems, Is this possible? Thanks! Also, If anybody has used Royal Purple how do you like it??? Thanks again!
Trent

Simon01

Dec 5, 2011
I think those old stories about sythetic causing leaks on older/higher mileage engines is bunk.
Use a good quality oil and filter and check the level on a regular basis and follow manufacturer's oil change intervals and you'll be fine.

That's my :twocents:

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Simon01 said:
I think those old stories about sythetic causing leaks on older/higher mileage engines is bunk.
Use a good quality oil and filter and check the level on a regular basis and follow manufacturer's oil change intervals and you'll be fine.

That's my :twocents:

That's what I was thinking! I beleive the Royal Purple is the best oil and I its nice to know your running a good oil. lol Thanks Man!

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Its not that the synthetics cause leaks its that it can uncover them.

In their own right synthetic oils are excellent engine cleaners. So a leak that has gunked over has the gunk cleaned away and then the leak restarts. Since you had just changed to a synthetic you assume the synthetic is the cause but its not.

Amsoil, Mobil 1 and Royal Purple are all excellent synthetic oils. I am running Amsoil OE in my Envoy now. If one of the resident Amsoil dealers can help you join their preferred customer program you will be very happy with the prices. I had the opportunity to join that program on a trial basis and just re-upped for a year.

I think most if not all of the oils meeting the new GM dexos specification are at least semi-synthetic oils.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
So if I change and I get leaks am I screwed how would I fix those? Thanks for uncovering that!

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
03envoy said:
So if I change and I get leaks am I screwed how would I fix those? Thanks for uncovering that!

All I can say there is the fix would be whatever is normally done to fix an oil leak in that spot.

Engine oil detergents are light years ahead of where they were when Amsoil first came out in 1973 or so as the first API certified motor engine oil. So there is a very good chance your 2003 has no significant gunk in it covering a leak. A quote I read regarding engine oil detergents, "You can wash your clothes in this stuff."

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Yes, Screw it, I am just going to switch. Thank you.:yes:

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I made the switch in the Envoy at 65k miles. No problems and the engine feels smoother.

I am a resident AMSOIL independent dealer here, and if you have any questions feel free to ask. I have a promotion going on till the end of February. A free 6 month trial to become a Preferred Customer. You will get wholesale prices and the piece of mind knowing that you will be using the best oil in your investment.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Steve

RichieT

Feb 8, 2012
When I switched to synthetic a couple of years ago in my Jimmy, the recommendation was to only use one quart in the first oil change, two quarts in the next change, three the next and so on until you're changing all synthetic. The reasoning was that switching to synthetic all at once will loosen too much gunk and lead to clogging nightmares.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
RichieT said:
When I switched to synthetic a couple of years ago in my Jimmy, the recommendation was to only use one quart in the first oil change, two quarts in the next change, three the next and so on until you're changing all synthetic. The reasoning was that switching to synthetic all at once will loosen too much gunk and lead to clogging nightmares.
Never heard that one :undecided:

RichieT

Feb 8, 2012
RayVoy said:
Never heard that one :undecided:

Before I changed mine over I had a friend with a K5 with 100k+ miles that switched over all at once. He wound up changing oil filters every 2 months because of the gunk. That's why It stuck out about the 1 quart a change when I did it. I'm going back about 20 years so maybe things improved since then.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
RichieT said:

That sounds like a good idea, But, I didnt know a non synthetic and synthetic oil be mixed??? I think I may try this... Sounds safe to me...?:undecided:

RichieT

Feb 8, 2012
Just did a quick google search on this and they seem to recommend for high mileage cars to change the oil twice as often as normal for the same reason, too much gunk gets loosened. Changing your oil every 1500-2000 miles is going to get expensive compared to an additional quart each regular change. They also said no problem at all with mixing regular and synthetic.

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
i agree you can mix synthetic and dino with no problems. As far as extending oil changes only as far as the dino oil can go when mixed.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Fire06 said:
i agree you can mix synthetic and dino with no problems. As far as extending oil changes only as far as the dino oil can go when mixed.

I read an article saying the first 1,000 miles of new oil change causes the most wear on your engine, because the additives are not active yet. I plan to change my oil every 5,000 to 7,000 after I fully switch to royal purple. Plus $70 plus a filter isn't fun lol. But, O well.

I am going to add 2 quarts of synthetic to the engine next oil change. And one to two every change from there.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Fire06 said:

I know Amsoil and Mobil 1 bottles say you can mix them. Oils that meet the new dexos 1 spec are at least semi synthetic meaning they are mixes of dino and synthetic oil.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
03envoy said:
I plan to change my oil every 5,000 to 7,000 after I fully switch to royal purple.
Why not use the oil change indicator light?

03envoy said:
Plus $70 plus a filter isn't fun lol.
Why would you spend that kind of money on a filter?

Or you can go this route:

AMSOIL Engine and Transmission Flush (6.85)

Signature Series 100% Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil (7) 55.00

AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters (1) 12.65

and not have to change your oil for 25,000 miles or 1 year which ever comes first.

If your worried about the quality of your oil, you can get this

Oil Analyzers Test Kit, Postage Pre-Paid (25.75)

All of that is just over 100 bucks (not counting shipping and taxes) Less than that if you dont want to pay the 25.75 for the analyzer

Steve
Resident AMSOIL Independent Dealer

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
RayVoy said:
Why not use the oil change indicator light?

Why would you spend that kind of money on a filter?

No, the is $70 plus the filter. And I just dont trust that thing I guess..

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Steve A said:
Or you can go this route:

AMSOIL Engine and Transmission Flush (6.85)

Signature Series 100% Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil (7) 55.00

AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters (1) 12.65

and not have to change your oil for 25,000 miles or 1 year which ever comes first.

If your worried about the quality of your oil, you can get this

Oil Analyzers Test Kit, Postage Pre-Paid (25.75

All of that is just over 100 bucks (not counting shipping and taxes) Less than that if you dont want to pay the 25.75 for the analyzer

Steve

I may still go that route, and probably will.

fishguy1123

Dec 5, 2011
I just switched over to mobile 1 for engine, and diffs about a month ago. No problems so far, seems to run smoother at cold start/not up to temp situations. I always give it a few to warm up a lil in the cold weather.

I'm at 148,600 now.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I did some research when I switched to synthetic. Mobil 1's recommendation is to just change the oil but do another change at 1/2 your usual interval and another at 3/4 of your regular interval and then whatever you usually do. I modified that to start with the Amsoil Flush and I plan to change the oil at around 5k miles and then follow closer to the OLM (at about 25% oil life left).

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
I'm going with AMSOIL this next oil change just because I can go 25K+ miles. I considered Royal Purple, but it didn't have extended change intervals. I've had Mobil1 for the last 70,000 and I don't know what was in there before.

DJones said:
I'm going with AMSOIL this next oil change just because I can go 25K+ miles. I considered Royal Purple, but it didn't have extended change intervals. I've had Mobil1 for the last 70,000 and I don't know what was in there before.

Just remember its 25k OR 1 year, which ever comes first.

Some people will not get 25k out of the oil, it just all depends on where they drive.

Steve

Rubberman

Dec 14, 2011
I started using full syn oil when i bought the TB at 30k miles. I changed mine between 5k-8k miles. too scared to go any further.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I changed to synthetic after i bought the truck at 40k miles. Have not looked back since. 7 quarts of royal purple and a K&N oil filter every change. I go by the oil life meter, anywhere from 12k-15k miles before it goes off. I usually do it once a year, I drop the pan, clean it out real good and put a new gasket and drain plug in. Cost about $100 each time.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I've also decided to start running Syn. oil in my and my wifes vehicles because it's gotten so reasonable lately and also I will now change at 0% instead of 25% like I have been.
I think that many of these syn.oil horror stories are 99% BS and wouldn't be surprised if many weren't started by people who had a stake in 3,000 mile oil change intervals...just sayin'......Mike.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
northcreek said:
I've also decided to start running Syn. oil in my and my wifes vehicles .
I have used it in our vehicles for many...many... years.

It is simply the best thing you can do for your engine.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
northcreek said:
started by people who had a stake in 3,000 mile oil change intervals...just sayin'......Mike.

Jiffy Lube

RayVoy said:
I have used it in our vehicles for many...many... years.

It is simply the best thing you can do for your engine.

First change I did the pan had gunk all over the inside, it was nasty. Just did a change about 2 weeks ago, pan had some gunk. FOr the most part it was pretty damn clean.

Girlfriend has a VW, 0w-40 mobil 1 is the ONLY oil I can use based on the VW warranty spec. THere are some others but that is all I can find in my area. 2.5 l engine uses 6 quarts and $10 mann filter cartridge.:crazy:

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Yep, it's a great thing to switch but I am going to slowly switch over I may start with 2 quarts instead of 1 shouldn't hurt?

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
I have put 3 vehicles on to synthetic oil that had been on dino oil. 2 had about 110,000 miles the other had about 23,000 miles. Just did the switch no blending. Never had any issues, the car we just bought last June brand new switched to synthetic the 1st oil change at 300 miles and have not looked back. All vehicles run well and strong.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
03envoy said:
Yep, it's a great thing to switch but I am going to slowly switch over I may start with 2 quarts instead of 1 shouldn't hurt?

That's another route you can go. I know Amsoil and Mobil 1 state they are compatible with dino oil just match the grades.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
if it was me I would just switch and then at about 2500 miles replace the filter and top off the oil.
I might do that again at 5k and then do a full change at 7500.
I change mine at every 7500 with full synthetic anyway. That works out to 2X per year and I want to make sure I climb under there at least that often to take a look around.

If I didn't know how it had been maintained before and I was worried about changing, I would do this:
At your next scheduled oil change send a sample to blackstone labs and see what they say.
Drop your oil pan and see if there is any buildup in there, clean it out good. It seems like it is a bear to get out though I could be mixing it with another I6 I own....
If the oil pan looks good and your report comes back good then it is likely your engine is pretty clean and you can just switch.
If either of those raise red flags then maybe do the slowly over time switch.

v7guy

Dec 4, 2011
I switched over to mobil 1 when I got the truck at about 50k miles. Been using it ever since usually with a mobil 1 filter, Ive used a K&N filter a couple times too. Never had a problem.

drwfaulk

Jan 5, 2012
I've been running purple for a while and no problems my dad uses it in his frontier and mom uses it in her sierra, acually I just changed the oil this weekend too
bb513b7a.jpg

8dc0d4ae.jpg

Rubberman

Dec 14, 2011
I use to use Pennzoil syn but now i just use the Super Tech full syn oil with an AC Delco filter.

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
Steve A said:
Just remember its 25k OR 1 year, which ever comes first.

Some people will not get 25k out of the oil, it just all depends on where they drive.

Steve

I don't understand this... What does the amount of time have to do with the wear on the oil? I can understand changing oil based on mileage because that is a good indicator of how much use the engine has seen. But changing the oil just because it is a year old? Does it break down from sitting in the vehicle? If I buy a case of oil, some of it could sit on the shelf for a couple years before it gets used, so does this mean I am putting bad oil in my vehicles?

Yes, I'm being a bit sarcastic, but at the same time, I really want to know the reasoning behind this.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR