Suspension/Wheel Troubleshoot

tbags4ever

Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
I am somewhat a novice when it comes to suspension. I do plenty of work on other areas of my Envoy, but have not touched any suspension parts myself. So, forgive me if this is a noob question.

I am having significant "wobble" in my front passenger side wheel. It feels like the wheel is egg shaped when driving......even at slow speeds. I can see the picture in my rearview mirror bounce up and down its so bad. Sometimes it is less pronounced than other times.

Is this a camber/caster/toe in-out problem? Ideas? What parts should I check out first?

Thanks!!!!

dla442

Mar 31, 2012
grand rapids, mi
Bearing. Wheel should not wobble, vertical, horizontal, diagonally. Lift the side of car with jack, grab the wheel at positions noon and six o'clock and push top and pull bottom and reverse. Then do it at 3 and 9 o'clock and observe. Spin the wheel and look down the car length to see if it resembles a dinner plate wobbling. If so, needs a bearing. Your should hear it as well.

tbags4ever

Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
dla442 said:
Bearing. Wheel should not wobble, vertical, horizontal, diagonally. Lift the side of car with jack, grab the wheel at positions noon and six o'clock and push top and pull bottom and reverse. Then do it at 3 and 9 o'clock and observe. Spin the wheel and look down the car length to see if it resembles a dinner plate wobbling. If so, needs a bearing. Your should hear it as well.

I've replaced the bearings several times, so I'm pretty sure I know when they're going bad. There is absolutely no noise with this wobble.

I was doing more research and some suggests it's a bad tire. There is a leak and I recently saw a thin wire protruding from between some tread. Could this be a broken belt in the tire?

cstern71

Feb 16, 2014
Easy way to test if its the tire would be to rotate your tires and see if the wobble follows it.

dla442

Mar 31, 2012
grand rapids, mi
Sorry I assumed the bearing have never been done. A bad belt in a tire would do that. You would sure feel it in the tire wall as a budge or indentation. If you see belts popping through I would replace it

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
dla442 said:
If you see belts popping through I would replace it
Not sure I'd even DRIVE it unless somebody stole my spare or I was too weak to change it. Man, get that done before it causes an accident and you run over a polecat.

Einst-Hawk

Jan 31, 2014
After checking that the tires aren't bad as mentioned earlier, I would say it was your tie-rods.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DIY Professional