Suspension brand

Stuntmanmike77

Original poster
May 6, 2018
Sanford, ME
Hello everyone. I need to basically replace the entire front suspension on my 03 trailblazer. Looking on Amazon found a really good kit with everything I need including spring/strut assy and hubs and bearings. Kit was from Detroit Axle for 468. Does anyone have experience with this brand and are they any good?

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
I used Detroit Axle lower and upper control arms and A/C Delco uni struts. It's only been a few months, but everything is working well.
The alignment is difficult if you change the plate the LCA bolts to, the one that has the bushings.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I have the Detroit Axle wheel bearing on both my Envoy and Pontiac, so far so good.

I have the rest of the kit from Detroit Axle (control arms, Ball Joints, Tie rods, etc), I just havent gotten around to installing it yet. My Envoy has become the spare vehicle, so no rush (at the moment anyways).

Beacon

Mar 22, 2019
SouthWestern PA
I bought a Detroit axle kit from eBay, upper control arm, UBJ, LCA assembly, sway bar end links, and outer tie rod, $249.Installed it last weekend. I already regret this decision. I hope they last 2 years, but from what I've read, 1 year is more likely, especially the ball joints and end links. I have an issue with a spark plug that is causing me to question how long I will keep my Saab, that greatly influenced my cheap parts decision, that being said, I should have went with ACDelco pro/Moog combo.
Do it once, do it right, and be done.
Unless you don't feel you will keep your vehicle more than a year or two.

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
I would use their control arms and probably the sway bar end links. I don't think I would use their ball joints, CV axels, or tie rods though. I've used their brake rotors, pads, and front hubs and I haven't had an issue with those at all. The brake pads throw a lot of brake dust for about 500 miles though.

I live near Detroit Axel. I went in to get brake rotors and pads and a guy asked one of the guys that was working behind the counter if their parts were made in the US. The guy behind the counter laughingly said, "Doesn't everyone know our parts are made in China?"

Not that it really matters, most parts are made in China anyway. Even ACDelco parts are mostly made in Mexico. At least most of the ACD parts I've used usually say made in Mexico.

Beacon

Mar 22, 2019
SouthWestern PA
I read about people having to replace them shortly after installing, 25-30k miles, or less in some cases, that's about 2 years of mileage, it's not really time. IIRC, it was on an explorer forum, that came up in a Google search, for Detroit axle. From what I've heard, explorers seem to wear ball joints out on a similar level to the trailblazer. So, I'm possibly connecting dots that are far apart, but I don't have high hopes for a lifetime of service from their ball joints.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
I would avoid the Detroit Axle branded hubs, we just got done replacing the set my dad put on his Yukon (we redid the front last Spring). It kept kicking the ABS on during slow speed stops, we sent back a set of lower control arms because the one was missing the boot on the balljoint and the other arm had the ball joint loosely sitting in it.

It could have just been badl luck on our part, but it made me a little iffy on buying them again.

• Sad
Reactions: Beacon

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
FWIW... I ordered a Detroit Axle Suspension Kit for just $137.00 last week and took some images for later reference. The Kit came complete yesterday (sans Lower A-Frames NOT Part of this Order) with all of the requisite Basic Hardware, along with discreetly packaged 10.9 Hard Castle Nuts, Zerk Fittings, Cotter Keys, Plastic Locking Nuts, Locking Spring Cup Retention Clips and Plastic Temp Ball Joint Protection Boots at the ready.

Its hard to tell how these will wear over time, but their manufacture and preparation artifacts seem very tidy and the attention to the Kit's details are obvious. I won't be installing this stuff right away... but you can look over these Items via the Link to my "Flickr-Bucket" and then draw your own conclusions :

Reactions: Eric04

Beacon

Mar 22, 2019
SouthWestern PA
FWIW... I ordered a Detroit Axle Suspension Kit for just $137.00 last week and took some images for later reference. The Kit came complete yesterday (sans Lower A-Frames NOT Part of this Order) with all of the requisite Basic Hardware, along with discreetly packaged 10.9 Hard Castle Nuts, Zerk Fittings, Cotter Keys, Plastic Locking Nuts, Locking Spring Cup Retention Clips and Plastic Temp Ball Joint Protection Boots at the ready.

Its hard to tell how these will wear over time, but their manufacture and preparation artifacts seem very tidy and the attention to the Kit's details are obvious. I won't be installing this stuff right away... but you can look over these Items via the Link to my "Flickr-Bucket" and then draw your own conclusions :

That's very interesting, I somewhat expected to get castle nuts and zerks for the lower ball joints, instead they gave me a "pinched" nut (egg shaped on one side) and no grease fitting. For the upper they gave me a zerk, and the pinch bolt/nut combo, the bolt was 15mm the nut was 14mm

• Sad
Reactions: mrrsm

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
I used Detroit Axle LCAs on the kid's Impala about six months ago. I figured since it isn't going to be around beyond spring that it was a good gamble, never having bought suspension from them. I was pleased with what they sent me. Solid, heavy arms, joints/bushings looked good. Unfortunately I can't speak to longevity either but I'd go with them again over any store brand because odds are they're sourced from the same place.

Reactions: mrrsm

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
I cant bring myself to buy these Chinese parts. If you look at the pics posted you will see part numbers that begin with "ES". Lets look at tie rod ends. they are #ES3675 and 3674 i think. Google that part number and you will find almost every company including Moog, Detroit Axle and just about all list this same number.. Now go to Ali Express site in China....They will sell you 50 of these ES tie rods for $1.00 each!!! When and if I ever get my Envoy back on the road I hope to be pushing 450-500 hp....Im going to do that on $1.00 tie rods?? I dont think so. I dont want to pay GM $100+ for tie rods and when I cant find any factory parts with some life left in them at the local u-pull-it I dont know exactly what Ill do but I wont ride on $1.00 tie rods ever.

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
When I bought the suspension parts and checked them side to side to the originals, they were identical. The thickness of the metal, welds and fitment were good. I can't speak for the quality of the metal, but time will tell.
I feel the same way about the Chinese parts, and wish the point of origin was on the website. I don't expect the Detroit Axle parts to last as long as A/C Delco, but this Trailblazer is 16 years old now, and in reality, how much longer does it have? It's quite possible it will outlive me (I'm old), then it will be someone else's problem.
So far, after about 2,000 miles, I have no complaints.

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
I think most of Detroit Axle parts have a 10 year warranty. It's worth any risk with that long of a warranty. Just make sure you keep the actual paper receipt! They have that posted on their walls in a few places in their building.

I plan on buying a full front suspension kit from them this year (except the ball joints).

Also, they have 10% discounts posted on their facebook page most of the time. If you can't find one, just call and ask for a discount.

Reactions: jmonica

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigboylove

Members Online