Strut/Spring/Shock Replacement

MDBT

Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Vehicle in signature/profile, just shy of 70k miles with original suspension parts (to my knowledge). Noticed a touch of feathering up front on the outer edge so I dropped into a shop for an alignment. Camber and toe both came up as in-range but the caster was 0.1-0.2 degrees out. Claim from the shop was that worn struts were to blame and that the springs themselves were also in need of replacement. They priced me out for some Monroe quick struts which I declined.

First question is about the springs. I get the impression these aren't a typical wear item. They do not appear damaged but the alignment shop did indicate they were not "holding up their end of the bargain" so to speak (my words not theirs). Typically I'd brush this off as an instance of them trying to get me to pay more for quick struts so they had less labor to do, but I have noticed that the headlights appear to be pointing awfully low the last few times I drove it. (I drive at night maybe once a month). I realize this may also be the result of an over-exuberant air suspension but I have not yet taken the time to learn how to inspect the ride height control level, though the air suspension feels as though it's working fine. I found the correct part number for my springs based on my RPO code the question is should I buy them? Cheapest I found was about $120 shipped for the pair.

Second question is about the shocks/struts. From what I've read I have opted for the Bilstein HDs. Vehicle is very occasionally used for towing but primarily highway use. I am also expecting to need to replace the upper mounts regardless of whether I buy the springs or not. Thoughts on brand/model of shock and are there any other parts I should or have to swap out as well?

Last, I priced the rear shocks/front struts/upper mounts out and shockwarehouse.com seems to be the best deal at $320 and change. I'm not in a hurry to purchase these as the vehicle is not a daily driver so I'm willing to wait around for a promo or coupon code if anyone has an idea where I might find these parts cheaper.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
I changed my struts with monroe quick struts. five or six hundred miles with shot shocks ate the inside of my tires. they sound like snow tires now.

I went with the quick struts after 140k on the originals mostly for ease of installation, to not fuss with removal of springs and horsing around with the mounting parts. ( you can kill yourself if you are not careful)

there are many different springs on these, each tailored for the specific equipment/weight. so a quick strut is a "kind of" fit. (not precise)

I got mine from Rock Auto.

I just drive my chevy on the occasional road trip, and if it ever snows.

Ed H

Oct 18, 2012
I do not believe the springs need to be replaced. No way. I have an 02 with original springs and they are fine.

Bilstein HDs are excellent. You will be happy with them. I installed my a couple months ago.

I found the Bilstein HDs for a few bucks less at another site.

No other parts needed. Get yourself a pitman tool with at least 1-1/8" gap to speed strut assembly removal. I rented one from Autozone.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Should get new upper mounts. They aren't too much and your originals will be worn.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher