Strange Grinding , Maybe Front Brakes?

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
I have a brake question. I was going through a drive thru Monday morning and noticed a squeel every time I rolled ahead, I couldn't say for sure it was me because everyone else was rolling ahead too. After the drive thru I ran over a pile of scattered glass maybe from a fender bender, I may have went over that glass before the squeel but don't know for sure. As I slowed down for the stop sign the truck seemed to brake normal, but the last few feet of the stop say from 10mph to 0 had a grinding type of noise that seemed to come from the front. It did it a few more times and then went away. Both front brakes felt hot but I don't think too hot. The PS caliper looked damp but not fresh wet, I figured rain water maybe and it was drying from the heat. Anyways, all seems good after that until last night when my wife came home and described the same thing I had felt and she too thought it was from the front. I then went out for a drive and it seemed fine again :confused: . Do you think it's possible for a piece of glass to get caught up the pads or what else could cause occasional grind or maybe brake fluid or something else dripping on the rotors. I'll have a closer look this afternoon. It did go for a good 70 mile hiway drive and some city driving between the 2 occurances. I had new OEM rotors and Durastop pads all the way around in Aug 2011 @ 120,501kms. I currently have about 146,000kms. Any thoughts?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe check the pads to make sure the sqealers are correctly in place and your pads are still good. Could have been a piece of glass or a small rock and it went away. Mine occasionally squeal because I have cheap pads at the moment. Maybe put some anti-squeal stuff on the backs of the pads. Make sure the mounting surfaces are clean and the slides are well lubed.

ksimm92

Apr 28, 2012
06envoydenali said:
i here that there are occurrences where the clips holding the pads in place touch the rotor

this happened to me a couple months ago, it was the passenger side for me. I just took off the caliper and reseated the pads and clips, it has been fine ever sense. I would think that if this was your issue it would be more constant though, either it would grind pretty much all the time or not at all, but it may be worth checking.

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
Have had a stone get up between the dust shield and the rotor. Causes the squeal you mention of

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
Thanks for the input guys. Still only 2 occurances. I think I'll pull the wheels on Saturday and learn about brakes. I'll check for debris and look at the pad clips. Is there a specific lube I should for the caliper slides?

Jul 11, 2012
Its the lil rust bead that forms on the outer and inner edges of your rotor touching the dust shield...have to knock off the rust every few months.:mad::frown:

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Were the shims and anti-vibration clips replaced? I had tons of issues until I did this.

Denali n DOO said:
Thanks for the input guys. Still only 2 occurances. I think I'll pull the wheels on Saturday and learn about brakes. I'll check for debris and look at the pad clips. Is there a specific lube I should for the caliper slides?

There are boot kits that include silicone grease and parts. The pins should be ok.

http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/mak,C...%2FWheel+Hub,11515,Caliper+Guide+Pin+Boot+Kit

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samsen

Members Online