stolen! HU gone... '02 back to basics (LTZ '02 BOSE)

kaboom

Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
ugh, the other night i came home and found my TB broken into.
The HU was ripped out and broken glass all over!! ~blah..sucks~

Here's my original install, i loved the kenwood DNX6140
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showpost....4&postcount=12

so... what do i do now? recommendations for those with '02/'03 installs? THe '02 experts i see all around, please lend me your thoughts.

My Situation:
- Right now i have aftermarket speakers in all locations.
- I'm pretty sure i bypassed the Bose AMP to get the kenwood HU working (i just can't remember, and haven't pulled the panel to verify).
- I have the original Bose HU P/N 15058231 that came with the TB.

What i want:
- OEM HU with AUX input...(original look so my TB doesn't get broken into again).

How do i get there? Questions i have:
1. Can i get a later 2004+ HU with AUX (XM) installed where i am now? I saw a few things that say no, but i see a few posts that say yes... (matt?)
2. Do i need to re-wire the bose amp to use the later model HU?
3. If i need to re-wire the amp, do i need to match that newer HU with a newer amp?
4. Can i wire anything in-line with my existing HU considering everything is now apart anyway?

Otherwise, i'm rolling around now with nothing in the dash! Big ol' hole

Thanks for your thoughts beforehand!

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
kaboom said:
ugh, the other night i came home and found my TB broken into.
The HU was ripped out and broken glass all over!! ~blah..sucks~

1. Can i get a later 2004+ HU with AUX (XM) installed where i am now? I saw a few things that say no, but i see a few posts that say yes... (matt?)

Sorry to hear that some scum bag broke into the truck.

In regards to 1. You need to get one for an 03-05 full size truck that uses the Y91 or Y92 RPO code. That will have the 6cd stacker, XM and work with our LUX system. You'll have to get the VIN reprogrammed by someone with a Tech2...hopefully not a dealer. If they tell you they can't do it, they're full of shit. There's plenty of instructions on how to do it with the Tech2 on the net.

Either that or use the OEM radio and a hardwired FM modulator to get the AUX input you want. That's how I wired in my Sirius and I have the advantage of removing it if I sell the truck.

kaboom

Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
awesome, thanks for the quick reply Matt.Y
I looked inside, i have a GMOS-04 from the previous install, i also have the old wiring as i had a FM Modulator in there from before as well. I'm going to head back to stock OEM.

Just to get an idea on what i'm looking for, do you have a part number for the 03-05 full size truck that i would want? Is it not from a trailblazer that i'm looking for? How do i check for the Y91/Y92 RPO code? I def have a '02 BOSE LUX system.

Appreciate all the feedback!

Matt said:
Sorry to hear that some scum bag broke into the truck.

In regards to 1. You need to get one for an 03-05 full size truck that uses the Y91 or Y92 RPO code. That will have the 6cd stacker, XM and work with our LUX system. You'll have to get the VIN reprogrammed by someone with a Tech2...hopefully not a dealer. If they tell you they can't do it, they're full of shit. There's plenty of instructions on how to do it with the Tech2 on the net.

Either that or use the OEM radio and a hardwired FM modulator to get the AUX input you want. That's how I wired in my Sirius and I have the advantage of removing it if I sell the truck.

kaboom

Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
Are these the full-sizer's you're mentioning?

6CD-in deck BOSE:
Escalade - GM 2003-2005 CD6 XM ready radio (most Trucks, Vans & SUVs)

Single CD BOSE:
Escalade - GM 2003-2005* CD Cassette radio BOSE (Trucks & SUVs)

the P/N's are on the webpage.

kaboom said:
I looked inside, i have a GMOS-04 from the previous install, i also have the old wiring as i had a FM Modulator in there from before as well. I'm going to head back to stock OEM.

Just to get an idea on what i'm looking for, do you have a part number for the 03-05 full size truck that i would want? Is it not from a trailblazer that i'm looking for? How do i check for the Y91/Y92 RPO code? I def have a '02 BOSE LUX system.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
kaboom said:

kaboom said:
Are these the full-sizer's you're mentioning?

6CD-in deck BOSE:
Escalade - GM 2003-2005 CD6 XM ready radio (most Trucks, Vans & SUVs)

Single CD BOSE:
Escalade - GM 2003-2005* CD Cassette radio BOSE (Trucks & SUVs)

the P/N's are on the webpage.

No worries.

No, the one you're after is from a full-size truck like the Taho, Escalade etc. You'd have to get a hold of the seller and ask them if it will work with either the Y91 or Y92 code. The first one you listed is the one you want if you want the 6cd. If you contact Replacement Radios you have to bullshit them a bit because they are adamant that these will not work in the GMT360. So just tell them you have an Escalade with the Y91 RPO code and you need to replace the radio and they should be able to tell you exactly which one it is...they actually used to say if it worked with those codes on the site, but it's disappeared since then.

You could also just get this one All Chevrolet - Trailblazer/Envoy 2005 2006 CD6 radio BOSE 10359565 , which is the original and be done with it...just remove the GMOS adapter beforehand.

kaboom

Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
Matt - thanks again for the sound advice. It sounds like i'm just going to go down the path of least resistance to get an aux input. I think i was originally lead thinking that i needed a full-sized truck OEM replacement for AUX, but since you linked that last one below, i'm glad to hear that it can drop right in.

With that All Chevrolet - Trailblazer/Envoy 2005 2006 CD6 radio BOSE 10359565; i'll still need VIN programming, correct?

My original one is the Bose HU P/N 15058231... i hope i'm not confusing the issue...

Matt said:
No worries.

No, the one you're after is from a full-size truck like the Taho, Escalade etc. You'd have to get a hold of the seller and ask them if it will work with either the Y91 or Y92 code. The first one you listed is the one you want if you want the 6cd. If you contact Replacement Radios you have to bullshit them a bit because they are adamant that these will not work in the GMT360. So just tell them you have an Escalade with the Y91 RPO code and you need to replace the radio and they should be able to tell you exactly which one it is...they actually used to say if it worked with those codes on the site, but it's disappeared since then.

You could also just get this one All Chevrolet - Trailblazer/Envoy 2005 2006 CD6 radio BOSE 10359565 , which is the original and be done with it...just remove the GMOS adapter beforehand.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Yes, it will drop right in. My apologies for the link, if you get a TB/Envoy HU you do need the specific year AFAIK. So, I don't believe the one I linked to would work.

You might just want to google that part number and see what you get. And yes, if it didn't come out of your truck, it will need to be reprogrammed.

adum12

Nov 17, 2012
Hey there brand new to the forum was snooping around on here stumbled acroos this thread. I just bought an 02 LTZ and am interested in adding an aux in. as well. My question regarding this. Following the advice given here and getting for example the bose 6 disc in dash out of an escalsed with y91. What is the next step to adding the aux. input?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
adum12 said:
Hey there brand new to the forum was snooping around on here stumbled acroos this thread. I just bought an 02 LTZ and am interested in adding an aux in. as well. My question regarding this. Following the advice given here and getting for example the bose 6 disc in dash out of an escalsed with y91. What is the next step to adding the aux. input?

Welcome to the site!

Depending on what you want the AUX for, you may not need to get a HU from an Escalade. So, what do you want to do, add a Sirius or XM tuner, run an ipod?

adum12

Nov 17, 2012
I am only interested in adding a headphone jack to plug my phone into. It was super easy to do on my last truck (05 escalade ext) since it had factory nav and a separate 6 disc changer.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Apparently, '02 was a bastard year for our trucks and there are no options on our stock HU's to add sat radio to use as an aux input. I had read a bunch of posts on the OS that the '02 Bose HU is the only only that works with this Bose amp. I even tried hacking the CD player in the stock HU to add an aux plug as I had seen this done on older units and wound up killing the CD. I just wound up getting a GMOS-04 and installing an aftermarket HU.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Mooseman said:
Apparently, '02 was a bastard year for our trucks and there are no options on our stock HU's to add sat radio to use as an aux input. I had read a bunch of posts on the OS that the '02 Bose HU is the only only that works with this Bose amp. I even tried hacking the CD player in the stock HU to add an aux plug as I had seen this done on older units and wound up killing the CD. I just wound up getting a GMOS-04 and installing an aftermarket HU.

It is a bastard, but there is a way. You need to go with a hardwired FM modulator. That's how I have my Sirius wired in, so it sits on a mount next to the radio, not hidden like a factory unit. Something like this will work for what you want to do: iSimple TranzIt IS77 - Universal Car Kit - iPod, iPhone, iPad, Audio Devices

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
If you are interested, I have a 6cd stacker, without XM, VIN Cleared for sale..

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696

Members Online