Stock LS...good enough for wheeling?

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
My friends all have old trucks that they go wheeling (off roading) in. They have invited me to go with them a few times, the only thing is, my TB is 100% stock. I'm a little nervous about taking her off road being all stock. Will she do okay, or is it recommended that I just keep her safe and sound in the garage? :undecided:
Thanks!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Most of us started off stock, got stuck, then upgraded as finances allowed. At least you guys aren't starting off with $30-40K trucks with bank loans. It 100% depends on the trails you try to run, if they demand additional ground clearance, underbody (oil pan and radiator) armor, more aggressive tire tread. It also HUGELY depends on how accommodating your buddies are to help teach you how to read trail lines, spot you through tough obstacles, and assist with tugging or recovery with their tools if you get stuck. If you have AT tires and aren't running street tread, you're halfway there.

I recommend getting to a library of Googling for tutorials and reading up a bit on 4WD trail riding. Then you won't appear to be a total noob.

Assume you're current on your transfer case fluid change (every 50K, not 100), and know for sure your front axle disconnect is functional and you can get into 4LO when you need to?

Here's my FIRST offroad mud expedition in the desert - OEM tires, under 5000 miles, no adequate extraction gear, WITH Mrs. Roadie, and RUNNING BOARDS, for crissake. :confused: It did not end well. :no: But it challenged me to never let that happen again.

http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=180

mud2.JPG

Sir ffeJ

Dec 1, 2011
Absolutely agree with Roadie. I do the occasional off roading but I also know my limitations. I to have a stock LS 4x4, but I pick and choose my trails with caution.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I took mine out basically stock. I got a little damage in the pre-rad skid days...like when they did not exist. I have not had AC since, but I survive without it just fine.

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
HARDTRAILZ said:
I took mine out basically stock. I got a little damage in the pre-rad skid days...like when they did not exist. I have not had AC since, but I survive without it just fine.
How important is the rad skid? Highly recommended? Or does it all go back to Roadie's post about knowing your limitations?

Thanks everyone!!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Does your truck have the factory optional radiator and oil pan skid "shields"? If you do, there is already a bit of metal protecting the radiator plastic bottom cap. Without at l;east that much, you're like a wiener dog with short legs running along underbrush with his wiener dangling down. If you don't get it caught on anything - you win. If you hit, it's gonna hurt.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Or you could build it and not get stuck next time....

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Sweet action

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online