Steering Wheel Doesn't Lock (anymore??)

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've noticed that mine doesn't lock. Probably figured that if the thief can get in without setting off the alarm and bypassing the theft deterrent, what's the point of locking the steering wheel? Didn't stop them before!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Only the shift lever locks.

If I had to guess, it's a safety thing to prevent crashes caused by a passenger who is fighting with the driver and turns off the key and removes it from the ignition.

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
the roadie said:
If I had to guess, it's a safety thing to prevent crashes caused by a passenger who is fighting with the driver and turns off the key and removes it from the ignition.

How often does that happen? Only in movies?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
DJones said:
How often does that happen? Only in movies?
Maybe never. I didn't think it was a compelling reason. I'm thinking the real reason is GM could save a dime, and the Passlock anti-theft system (built into the key cylinder) is a lot more effective.

I *have been* astonished to read over the years how many drivers had arguments with their passengers (wives, GFs) and SLAMMED the shift lever into PARK with anger when they stopped, bending/jamming the shift lever. At least two times a year I read posts asking how to unjam/fix the lever. Sigh....:confused:

AbsoluteZero

Nov 21, 2011
I recall in the recent past seeing news coverage of how Cadillac Escalades were being stolen. The video showed how easy it was to open a locked door and defeat the locked shift level. A second vehicle then came along and pushed the steerable Escalade to an area where it was quickly dismantled. The reporter talked about how easy it was to steer the vehicle during the get-away!

Early in my 03's life the shift level would lock up if I idled too long. Eventually, after several tries it was fixed under warranty. In the meantime I made a "shoe horn" tool to reach under the console and press the solenoid button to unlock the shift lever. You can do it with your hand but have to reach under the edge.

Wex

Dec 4, 2011
Whenever I would park, I would sometimes turn the wheel 90% lock so it would be more difficult if an illegal tow truck tried to pull you out. Now, the wheel will simply straighten out. One plus, not having the steering wheel lock is convenient when pulling behind an rv. Just shift the case into N and you are set.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online