Steering rack

retiredcopper

Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
Morning,does anyone who has done a rack install remember the size of the nut on the long bolt that holds the rack in place. The head is 21mm. I had borrowed a deep socket when I did the swap and want to pick one up to add to my tool box and can't for the life of me remember what size it was....please advise....thanks in advance!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
@Reprise recently did drop his rack.. Maybe he remembers?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I used a 7/8 spark plug socket so I could use a wrench because it's behind an axle.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This is an image extract from a Screen Print from the uncommonly well documented Video below depicting at one point during its dis-assembly what this unusually Large Flanged Metric Nut looks like.

As one of the Two Hex Fastener & 10.9 Bolt combos needed to hold the Power Steering Rack securely to the SUV, if I had to wager a guess... I 'd say it was a 21mm Hex Head Flanged 10.9 Hard Nut having an M16 X 2.00 for its Thread Count. But again... THIS is just a "SWAG" (Scientific Wild Ass Guess) on my part:

GMT360RACKNPINIONUT.jpg

Last edited:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Morning,does anyone who has done a rack install remember the size of the nut on the long bolt that holds the rack in place. The head is 21mm. I had borrowed a deep socket when I did the swap and want to pick one up to add to my tool box and can't for the life of me remember what size it was....please advise....thanks in advance!
(FYI for the mods -- I wasn't alerted to this post, even though Tollkeeper (correctly) referenced me in post # 2. I should've received an auto-genned e-mail alert)

The nut is also 21mm. You need a deep socket for it, bc of the length of the bolt. Use a six-sided, if you have one.

(Tip: I've never seen a bolt with a different diameter nut than the head of the bolt has -- so if you know the head size, the nut *should* be the same. I'm sure there's an exception somewhere, but this has been my experience, at least, on the two GM vehicles I currently own.)

I had more written on actually removing the bolt, but then I re-read OP's post, and saw he only needed the size for 'future use'. So I trimmed the size of the post, as a result. :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online