Steering does not self-center on my 2002 Trailblazer.

wrecks2020

Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
My wife complains loudly about the steering feel on our TB. It does not self center at all despite the recent alignment and replacement of lower ball joints. Can I increase caster safely to improve this?
thanks

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Was the caster checked/adjusted?
IIRC, some alignment shops don't believe the caster is adjustable. (Or is it the camber?)

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Many alignment shops think we have some lame MacPherson strut where you cannot adjust the camber and caster. They are totally wrong and need to be shunned if they claim that.

Do you have the printout from the last alignment you had done? Always get the sheet of before and after numbers. Then we can comment on how bad the shop is. You should not have to fix their poor quality job. What did they say when you called them about your wife's complaint?

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Go to another alignment shop.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Did this happen after the LBJ change? If so, I'm willing to speculate they may have cranked down on the mounting nut too much....only requires about 90-100 ft/lbs. The steering should easily return to center on stock size tires when traveling forward or just shy of straight.

I would take it back and discuss your concerns.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696

Members Online