Speaker buzz front passenger only- even w radio off.

zaid3ssaf

Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
02 Bravada, original head unit, original speakers, I get a low buzz only on the front passenger speaker which happens as soon as the accessory is turned on. The buzzing isn't affected by whether the engine is running or not or the volume setting of the speakers. When I play music, the buzzing doesn't go away but otherwise the sound is fine

When the door panel was removed, the wires and connectors looked fine. Could it be a loose ground, not from the head unit but maybe at the amplifier side?

Images from ebay for my headunit, if it helps
1639512827180.png
1639512849403.png

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
With it being a 02, it should be the BOSE LUX package.

With the engine running, run the fader and balance, and make sure you have sound coming out of all 4 speakers.

zaid3ssaf

Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
With it being a 02, it should be the BOSE LUX package.

With the engine running, run the fader and balance, and make sure you have sound coming out of all 4 speakers.
The sound does come out of all 4 speakers. I am not sure how to find out if it Bose because it doesn't say anywhere

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I am not sure how to find out if it Bose because it doesn't say anywhere

Peek inside the speaker grills up on top of the dash by the windshield. If you see tweeters in there, you've got Bose. If not, then you don't. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Mooseman

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Which means no amp.. Which means the problem likely lies in the head unit itself.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Go into the door and connect a spare speaker to the wires. If there's still noise, I'd look to replace the HU. Would be a good time to get an aftermarket one especially if you want to avoid having to get a replacement OEM one VIN programmed.

zaid3ssaf

Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
I tried to reproduce the buzzing sound to get it recorded but I couldn't hear it! I am not sure what changed. When I am connected to the FM transmitter (bluetooth), static noise can be heard when the engine rev>2000 RPM. So, it has to be a loose ground or maybe a ground loop. I have a dashcam, phone charger, FM transmitter all connected on the same hub that goes to one cigarette lighter.

However, the buzzing mentioned earlier was there with everything disconnected and is one speaker. While the static with revving is on all speakers. I will take the headunit out and check. Is there a specific ground that I should look for?

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
I would guess you have tried unplugging the hub in the lighter while its buzzing and see if it goes away? I would guess grounding also but I did have a plug in phone charger that caused a buzzing sound anytime you had a phone connected to it. Also the hub itself could be not grounding properly, Their probably not assembled by the top of the class 8yr olds over in China.
I like Moosemans idea also. Just pull the wires off and try it on with a spare speaker just to eliminate that as the problem. My theory with any electrical problems is to try the easiest stuff 1st then move on to any add on accessories. Most of the time you'll find it in these 2 steps.

I would think the headunit ground is part of the circuit that grounds on the passenger side of the console just under where the carpeting starts I think. Ive got a wiring diagram somewhere if I can find it by morning Ill double ck it.

zaid3ssaf

Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
Go into the door and connect a spare speaker to the wires. If there's still noise, I'd look to replace the HU. Would be a good time to get an aftermarket one especially if you want to avoid having to get a replacement OEM one VIN programmed.
I took the panel off today and connected a speaker. The buzzing is still there. On a different note, the computer speaker sounded so much better than OEM that I am considering replacing all 4.

The buzzing remains with all accessories disconnected. It must be in HU / ground circuit

Reactions: Mooseman

zaid3ssaf

Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
Not looking for a solution anymore but just if anyone is still searching for similar problem, the buzzing is linked to the backlight knob for the instrument cluster and the headunit. When I turned the lights all the way down, the noise disappeared.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Sounds like a grounding issue then..

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online