Spark plug wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

LVJJJ

Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Blaine WA
How often should one replace spark plug wires? Got a '94 Suburban with newly installed 383 and #1 wire failed. Put on AC Delco wires about 16,000 miles ago in Feb of '18. Most of mileage was on them was towing in extreme conditons.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Worth Watching (Testing for Resistance B4 You Replace Them):

From ChrixFix:

... and from Jimmy (and his Lovely Wife) at his 1ROAD YT Channel:

More about 'Resitive' Spark Plug Wires:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I typically would do about 50K. Sounds like you hit them hard and it was a fresh motor, so with the relatively cheap prices if you shop around, i would probably do it again and keep yours for spares.

LVJJJ

Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Blaine WA
Thanks HT, kinda what I was thinking.

Now I'm trying to figure out which ones to buy. I was told by a local expert (he used to teach repairs at a GM factory) that GM products do best with GM parts so the current wires are AC Delco professional. Rock Auto has some Standard Blue Streak that seem to have much less resistance at about the same $40 price. Also, there are a couple of different AC choices which I'm trying figure out what the difference is.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I have had good luck with NGK and Taylor myself.

LVJJJ

Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Blaine WA
Got AC Delco spark plug wires, cap and rotor replaced. But it is still surging when first starting it up and until it warms up. Surged so bad at McD's while in line for my egg mcmuffin that it died. Runs strong and smooth once warmed up but still has a little surging. Wondering if its fuel, maybe I should get a new throttle body?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You should start a new thread for this surging issue for more responses.

Reactions: mrrsm

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
For surging issue, please go to this thread:

Reactions: mrrsm
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member