Spark Plug Help

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I need to change the spark plugs on the truck and was wondering if there are specific plugs that I should look at? I have heard of SuprSparks, but I haven't heard much from anyone who has used them and was wondering if anyone here has any feed back on them?

AcDelco Iridiums seem to be the way to go from what I have found and read so far, but I want to make sure that these are pretty much top of the line or close anyways lol.

Thanks in advance!

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Voymom said:
AcDelco Iridiums seem to be the way to go from what I have found and read so far, but I want to make sure that these are pretty much top of the line or close anyways lol.

The AC Delco 41-103s are the only plugs I use/recommend.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
From info gathered at :lipsrsealed: our engines don't really like anything other than OEM plugs currently 41-103's.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
MAY03LT said:
The AC Delco 41-103s are the only plugs I use/recommend.

:iagree:

Honestly if you use anything besides these AC Delcos, you'll be frustrated as he|| after a few weeks/months and end up putting them in. Save yourself the hassle and use them the first time. Im a victim of bad plugs, lost 1mpg and had hard starts using Bosch Platinum +4s in my 02. Finally after a year or two I got fed up and put the Delcos in, smooth as butter since then (well until last summer, time for motor mounts I think).

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
ScarabEpic22 said:
:iagree:

Honestly if you use anything besides these AC Delcos, you'll be frustrated as he|| after a few weeks/months and end up putting them in. Save yourself the hassle and use them the first time. Im a victim of bad plugs, lost 1mpg and had hard starts using Bosch Platinum +4s in my 02. Finally after a year or two I got fed up and put the Delcos in, smooth as butter since then (well until last summer, time for motor mounts I think).

I'm so glad you said something about Bosch Plats as I almost ordered them. I seen AC Delco plugs on rockauto but I don't know if those are OEM as it doesn't say, they just say AcDelco Spark Plugs :confused:

Doing a lot of this stuff is easy, it's learning the truck and making sure I get the right parts. I am so used to foreign vehicles :redface:

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Voymom said:
I'm so glad you said something about Bosch Plats as I almost ordered them. I seen AC Delco plugs on rockauto but I don't know if those are OEM as it doesn't say, they just say AcDelco Spark Plugs :confused:

Doing a lot of this stuff is easy, it's learning the truck and making sure I get the right parts. I am so used to foreign vehicles :redface:

No prob, just use the part number May03LT posted, it's the correct one. :cool:

Also, I remember there being a coupon for the AC Delcos being posted on here for half price, check for a minute before you order them.:thumbsup:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
ScarabEpic22 said:
No prob, just use the part number May03LT posted, it's the correct one. :cool:

Also, I remember there being a coupon for the AC Delcos being posted on here for half price, check for a minute before you order them.:thumbsup:

Thanks! I actually think I remember seeing them here last week. I will do a forum search and see if I can find them again.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Voymom said:

Don't know when GM switched from platinum to iridium in its plugs but 41-103s are current equivalent plugs. I think MAY... posted a link to Rockauto and the GM rebat though you have to buy a pack of 8. A little more per plug to buy 6 singles and I haven't taken 10 seconds to do the math to see if buying 6 is really cheaper.

And this is the purpose of a community such as ours, spread the knowledge!

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Mark20 said:
Don't know when GM switched from platinum to iridium in its plugs but 41-103s are current equivalent plugs. I think MAY... posted a link to Rockauto and the GM rebat though you have to buy a pack of 8. A little more per plug to buy 6 singles and I haven't taken 10 seconds to do the math to see if buying 6 is really cheaper.

I found the thread and the plugs on rock auto, but I think I'm going to see the price for them at the parts store down the road first. It's $5 something a plug for individual purchase, so close to $35-$40 for 6 plugs compared to the $4 something for the pack of 8. Plus shipping of course, but I haven't ever used rock auto so I don't know if they include it or charge extra. We'll see. I will give a call to the parts place in the morning.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Also search for rebate codes for Rockauto. They send them to customers by email but people post them everywhere for a 5% discount!

George

Dec 8, 2011
voymom said:
i found the thread and the plugs on rock auto, but i think i'm going to see the price for them at the parts store down the road first. It's $5 something a plug for individual purchase, so close to $35-$40 for 6 plugs compared to the $4 something for the pack of 8. Plus shipping of course, but i haven't ever used rock auto so i don't know if they include it or charge extra. We'll see. I will give a call to the parts place in the morning.
View attachment 19183 buy on line pick up at store plus $2 rebate on each plug

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 32

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
George said:
View attachment 4503 buy on line pick up at store plus $2 rebate on each plug

And what site is that??? I only have 2 auto parts store in my town

Car quest auto parts and OReilly's, other than that I would have to drive 30-60min one way to a different town, which I really can't do at this point because I am not allowed to drive due to surgical recovery.

I called Oreilly's and they want a little over $8.00 per plug :lipsrsealed:

George

Dec 8, 2011
Voymom said:
And what site is that??? I only have 2 auto parts store in my town

Car quest auto parts and OReilly's, other than that I would have to drive 30-60min one way to a different town, which I really can't do at this point because I am not allowed to drive due to surgical recovery.

I called Oreilly's and they want a little over $8.00 per plug :lipsrsealed:
advance auto, thats what you get living in the middle of a corn field :raspberry:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
George said:
advance auto, thats what you get living in the middle of a corn field :raspberry:

Thanks!! And trust me I hate this place lol wasn't my choice to come here unfortunately and now with the economy...I'm stuck :frown:

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
Voymom said:
I have heard of SuprSparks

What I think your referring to isn't a spark plug, it's just a conductor that supposed to transfer the spark from the coil to the plug more efficiently. The benefit is still being debated in a couple of threads.

AcDelco Iridiums seem to be the way to go from what I have found and read so far.

Shortly after I bought my Envoy, before I joined the OS and found out about how "sensitive" our trucks are, I fell for a sales pitch and installed Pulstar plugs.
I haven't had any problems, but I really haven't seen any benefit. But at $11 per vs. $4 for 41-103s I wish I had bought the Delco's. In about a month, I plan on changing back to Delco's.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
Mark20 said:
From info gathered at :lipsrsealed: our engines don't really like anything other than OEM plugs currently 41-103's.

I've been using NGK Iridium IX for 56,000 miles now and it's been working great. The original Delcos I had for ~75,000 miles. I couldn't wait for the 100K mark. Also, RockAuto IS the best place to pick up plugs. Including shipping, their prices are better than the big box stores. Don't forget anti-sieze.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
seanpooh said:
I've been using NGK Iridium IX for 56,000 miles now and it's been working great. The original Delcos I had for ~75,000 miles. I couldn't wait for the 100K mark. Also, RockAuto IS the best place to pick up plugs. Including shipping, their prices are better than the big box stores. Don't forget anti-sieze.

I have never used anti-seize :lipsrsealed:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Sparky said:
I have never used anti-seize :lipsrsealed:

:wowfaint:

Then again....Neither have I and I have helped my dad change out spark plugs a number of times growing up, and I have done a few on my other cars and never used anti-seize... Uh oh? :confused:

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
I never used anti-sieze on spark plugs either, but I wish I had though. It would make removing the plugs out with little effort (from what I have read from people post up). I will next time, doesn't hurt.

I have used it on hydraulic threaded fittings on my oil bypass and the fittings comes off easily when I need them off.

The recommendation on when you do use anti-seize is to keep the first two "steps" of the threads clear near the sparky part, and apply very lightly.

Not to worry people of not using it.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
seanpooh said:
I never used anti-sieze on spark plugs either, but I wish I had though. It would make removing the plugs out with little effort (from what I have read from people post up). I will next time, doesn't hurt.

I have used it on hydraulic threaded fittings on my oil bypass and the fittings comes off easily when I need them off.

The recommendation on when you do use anti-seize is to keep the first two "steps" of the threads clear near the sparky part, and apply very lightly.

Not to worry people of not using it.

I can almost guarantee the people who put the sparkies in last time didn't use any. My husband will be doing them this time around...I have restrictions on lifting and strenuous activity for another 30 days. So if they are a pita....at least I can blame him if something breaks :thumbsup:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Voymom said:
at least I can blame him if something breaks :thumbsup:
If it breaks, you're screwed. Ask me how I know...:crazy:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Matt said:

Like screwed screwed?? Or you can fix it screwed but it's going to be a complete PITA?

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
Matt said:

Yeah... what happened? How did you fix it? (assuming the spark plug broke while in the cylinder)

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
When you change your plugs I would advise to allow it to cool overnight if possible. This way you know it's stone cold and less chance of stripping any threads.

Yes, always use antiseize. One of the last things you want to do is strip a plug hole. :blinkhuh: That sounded bad but been there.

ScarabEpic22 said:
Save yourself the hassle and use them the first time. Im a victim of bad plugs, lost 1mpg and had hard starts using Bosch Platinum +4s in my 02.

I was in Advanced a few weeks ago picking up some ATF and the guy in front of me was purchasing some plugs. I overheard the salesman tell him that the Bosch would be the better plug (The +4's) since they were German :yikes:

Cust has a E320 Benz. Salesman went over to get the plugs and I was forced to throw on my cape and play the good samaritan and told him NO :nono:

He actually was skeptical which helped my cause and ended up declining the sale. I just couldn't let it happen.

silversho

Feb 26, 2012
Just changed the plugs tonight, another "prevent swearing and throwing things" post...

I changed the spark plugs, seemed like no problem, went to put the coil on the front plug (pita by the way), and it seemed a little harder to get the screw in and get the coil to sit right. Didn't think anything of it, went to start the veh, and it sounds like a diesel!!! I thought, what the heck??!!! So I took it for a quick spin around the block, and the check engine light blinked a few times, then stopped. I took it back into the garage, undid the screw on the front coil, got the coil to sit better, went right down the hole, tightened the screw, and VOILA! no chugging, no cel, runs like a top!!!

So, in summary, make sure all the coils sit properly in the well or else....

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Good warning. That front one is easy to get the coil pack sitting crooked next to the plug and not on it because the AC line prevents you from being able to set it straight down on top.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Voymom said:
Like screwed screwed?? Or you can fix it screwed but it's going to be a complete PITA?

seanpooh said:
Yeah... what happened? How did you fix it? (assuming the spark plug broke while in the cylinder)

Like snapped the plug in the cylinder. I didn't have the "secret" tools to fix it. Had to get it towed to my mechanic to have them take it out. The rest came out easy as pie. So an easy job turned into a bit of a nightmare and north of $150 to do.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
Matt said:
Like snapped the plug in the cylinder. I didn't have the "secret" tools to fix it. Had to get it towed to my mechanic to have them take it out. The rest came out easy as pie. So an easy job turned into a bit of a nightmare and north of $150 to do.

Yikes, that sucks. If it were me, I would be in such a panic... A 20 minute job becomes a headache. Lesson here is that anti-sieze helps then.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I just picked up a set at Autozone, $6.99 at the register and $1.50 mail-in rebate for each plug. Not the absolute cheapest but wanted to swap them today.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
gmcman said:
I was in Advanced a few weeks ago picking up some ATF and the guy in front of me was purchasing some plugs. I overheard the salesman tell him that the Bosch would be the better plug (The +4's) since they were German :yikes:

Cust has a E320 Benz. Salesman went over to get the plugs and I was forced to throw on my cape and play the good samaritan and told him NO :nono:

He actually was skeptical which helped my cause and ended up declining the sale. I just couldn't let it happen.

Oh the many stories I have from local auto stores, makes me wonder if some of these kids think that a job at an auto parts store gives them immediate knowledge of all things automotive.

I had to get plugs for the GF's VW, which are a specific NGK iridium plug, about $11 a piece. I went o pic some up from the store, and the computer came up with the part number not in their system. He recommended either the Bosch +4 (which i have seen the little tabs fall off of, not good in an engine :eek:), a cheaper NGK and a set of autolites. I laughed and left. Ordered off amazon for $9 each. Same thing with her filter cartridge, they did not sell MANN products and the only cross reference was a FRAM, no thanks I would rather take my chances with no filter.

Also heard another kid at a store telling a guy he needed the absolute smallest pipe close to stock for his exhaust. Guy was buying a set of flowmasters and wanted some pipe to do the system. The inlet/outlet was 2.5", stock was 2". He told the guy to hack the exhaust off at the cat and run the 2" pipe to an adapter, then the muffler, then adapt back to stock size. :rotfl:. I talked to the guy for an hour after that, he never bought the 2" pipe. He bought a flange and some 2.5" and made his own cat back.

seanpooh said:
Yikes, that sucks. If it were me, I would be in such a panic... A 20 minute job becomes a headache. Lesson here is that anti-sieze helps then.

I hate when that happens, seems to happen to me alot. Even something as simple as drum brakes.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
I hate when that happens, seems to happen to me alot. Even something as simple as drum brakes.

Oh those stupid things aren't simple! I hate those things with their little springs and doodads and stupid crap. I fought with the drums on my first car and couldn't get the stupid thing apart without a spring flying across the yard :hissyfit:

All my cars since then have had 4 wheel disc. Me Happy :biggrin:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Sparky said:
Oh those stupid things aren't simple! I hate those things with their little springs and doodads and stupid crap. I fought with the drums on my first car and couldn't get the stupid thing apart without a spring flying across the yard :hissyfit:

All my cars since then have had 4 wheel disc. Me Happy :biggrin:

I have drums down to a science, but the last 2 sets I did, well lets say they didnt go as planned.

Story time.

First was my uncles Sunfire, the shoes where actually in fair shape and the interior looked pretty good. So I start taking (10am) the things apart, all goes fine. Reassemble, side 2 smooth. Put it all back together and I thought the drums went on a little tight. One of my family members who I respect as a knowledgeable mechanic (still do, but not so much anymore) said they will be a little tight when first put on. Thinking nothing of it test drive time. Car drives nice, no sticking, no rubbing sounds. Get back and the rear wheels are hot as f*ck, smoking etc. So we let them cool (2 pm, we had some lunch and i was taking my sweet time). I take them back off after they cooled down, did some playing around, self adjuster bottomed out, all springs are correct (I took pictures :biggrin:). After playing with it for what felt like a few hours I take them back to the store. What do you know wrong f-ing shoes :hissyfit:. Ok they exchange, and we try again. Perfect (7 pm), they work great spin freely, bleed went well :thumbsup:. Put the wheels back on and get ready to leave, my uncle says the pedal goes to the floor. Passenger side, has a rather large puddle of brake fluid :hissyfit: (again). Take the wheel off the damn wheel cylinder exploded, it was new. Back to autozone, just in time. They closed at 9 we got there at 9:05. So needless to say by 10 pm we finished, good as new.

Last one was a Hyundai accent, rear wheels seized. Thats all I am saying this one takes just as long to tell, and took my about 18 hours to get finished.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online