Source for speakers?

Turk2

Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
I have an 08' Envoy with only one working speaker.

In my opinion, the stock speakers are pretty expensive.

Does anyone have a recommendation for speakers? I'm not looking to go for a significant upgrade. I'd just like something a little more durable and still get descent sound. (stock sound quality is fine by me.) Looking for a fairly direct fit. I don't mind changing the ends on the wires or that kind of thing.

As a side note: Don't know if my vehicle is Bose equipped or not. It doesn't say bose on the stereo. Haven't pulled the door panels off yet to see what it says on the back of the speakers.

One other question. If it turns out that I have speakers in the top of the dash (I think this is a bose system feature) ....how do you access them?

Thanks for your input.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Check out crutchfield.com you can put your vehicle information in there and then navigate to the speakers section and it'll show you what fits. After you get a set picked out, shop around for that particular set, they're normally cheaper elsewhere.

Also speakers in dash, that strip of trim pops up for access. You won't have those speakers if you don't have Bose IIRC.

One more thing, how'd you blow three of them? Lol

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
When I bought my TB, all of the door speakers were blown. I opted for the cheapest pair of speakers I could find at Best Buy ($50 per pair), with the idea of getting some quality speakers later. 6 years later, still have the same bargain basement Kenwoods in there plugging away.

Granted I have a pair of 12"s in the back to make up for their lack of bass response, but for mids and highs, they have been fine so far. :twocents:

Reactions: Sib and Mounce

Turk2

Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
Thanks. Good information.

I bought this Envoy from a kid. It was provided to him by his mommy and he obviously didn't appreciate it. Dirty as heck inside. The console....oh man....nasty! NEVER...been vacuumed except maybe by the dealer at oil changes. Probably never washed it and for sure, never got waxed. Other than that, it had good Maintenance history from the dealer. So I decided to give it try. 82,000 miles. I think there is hope for it.

I figure he must have driven it everywhere with the stereo cranked. Now that I think of it, since my kids have started driving my GMC pickup, one of the speakers has blown! :hissyfit:

Some 50 dollar Kenwoods sound good to me, but I'll check crutchfield. Good advice.

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
I would agree with Crutchfield. Easy to check your options and select the speakers. They also give you instructions to help with the installation.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
To confirm Bose system, in the glovebox, look for RPO code UQA. Dead giveaway. If it's not there you don't have it.

Emcee

Mar 14, 2015
I purchased these speakers from Amazon for mine. Cheap and sound good, though I didn't get to hear the stock ones to compare.

The only issue is that the holes do not line up on the existing speaker mounts, so I had to drill new ones. Other than that, they've been great.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I've got Kicker 6.5 inch speakers all around. Really good and only ran about $100 for all four.

Daniel644

Feb 27, 2015
I crammed a set of Rockford Fosgate PPS4-8 midrange 8's in the rear doors http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=143866 can't roll the back windows all the way down but they sure help the low end till I can find the time (and a table saw) to build my box and run all the amp wiring.

the stock speakers in these things are garbage, both driverside 6.5's where non-functional when I bought my TB, I stuck one of the factory 6.5's from my firebird in the driver door and replaced the rears as seen above, I have a set of Polk Audio DB 6501 components I pulled from my firebird to install in the front doors, but the door panel chewed up the surrounds on those, so I've got to fix them somehow or budget for some nice components with plans to move the tweeter from the door to the grilles in the dash where the bose system has speakers.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
BlazingTrails said:
eBay FTW! I am planning to order this for the 04 ext.

Kenwood 6.5" speakers.
Great price, but only 30W RMS for a pair? I hope that's a typo in the description. The sticker on the speaker itself suggests those numbers are per speaker, that would be much mo' betta.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
Blckshdw said:
Great price, but only 30W RMS for a pair? I hope that's a typo in the description. The sticker on the speaker itself suggests those numbers are per speaker, that would be much mo' betta.
Here are the specs on the Kenwoods

Highlights:
  • 6-1/2" 2-way speakers (pair)
  • polypropylene woofer with treated cloth suround
  • 1" balanced dome tweeter
  • grilles included
  • power range: 2-30 watts RMS (300 watts peak power)
  • impedance: 4 ohms
  • frequency response: 35-22,000 Hz
  • sensitivity: 92 dB
  • top-mount depth: 1-11/16"
  • warranty: 1 year

There are many other sets available also.

Kicker

Rockford Fosgate

JVC

Hifonics

It really just depends on your budget, most of these are rated for the same amount of wattage.......

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
BlazingTrails said:
There are many other sets available also.

Kicker

Hifonics

It really just depends on your budget, most of these are rated for the same amount of wattage.......
:eek: Saved these 2 in my audio watchlist. I have wanted to put some components in for quite a while now, hmm... :undecided:

I suppose for factory replacements, the others would be fine really. Since I'm running a 5 channel amp, and do tend to crank it up when cruising with all the windows down, 50W RMS per speaker would work better for me. :yes:

Reactions: BlazingTrails

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Mark20 said:
I've got Kicker 6.5 inch speakers all around. Really good and only ran about $100 for all four.
I got a set for chirstmas for the rear doors... sound like crap. the pioneers up front are way better sounding to me..

Sib

Sep 6, 2014
Are the rear doors same as front? I was looking on crutchfield and it said 6.5 won't fit the rears

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
My dad has the 5-1/4 kickers in the rear, very bassy with the oem head unit but don't sound bad. I have bostons in all 4 doors (6-1/2) look for a shallow mount in the rear, my window hits the magnet, but still goes all the way down. Boston isn't around anymore in car audio and its a shame, they sound really good, especially for the price. :frown:

Sib

Sep 6, 2014
BlazingTrails said:
They are 6.5", I put Rockford Fosgate speakers in the rear doors on mine.
Thanks. I thought so from what everyone was posting but went to check and seen they didn't fit. I have Bose but sounds like front driver is starting to go at times. With summer coming up time to get some new ones.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Sib said:
Thanks. I thought so from what everyone was posting but went to check and seen they didn't fit. I have Bose but sounds like front driver is starting to go at times. With summer coming up time to get some new ones.
It's not an exact fit, but it's close enough. :yes:

Reactions: Sib

Daniel644

Feb 27, 2015
Sib said:
Are the rear doors same as front? I was looking on crutchfield and it said 6.5 won't fit the rears
depends on the factory radio option, the Bose systems had 5.25 rears and the standard had 6.5's, but they where 8 Ohm 6.5 mid-ranges not a 4-ohm like the fronts, the fronts are also a component (separate tweeter).

the thing you have to watch for is the MOUNTING DEPTH, I would not advise getting any speaker with a mounting depth larger then 2.5 inches, 2.75 TOPS any more then that and you WILL smack the magnet when you roll the windows down, this may be why Crutchfield says they don't fit.

I also would not advise putting any speaker with a tweeter in the rear doors, it will just pull the soundstage behind you.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
All I remember is that I dremeled alot when I put the 6.5s back there, and I don't have bose. I think the issue is that it's an oddball shape mounting bracket on the oem more than anything.

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
littleblazer said:
All I remember is that I dremeled alot when I put the 6.5s back there, and I don't have bose. I think the issue is that it's an oddball shape mounting bracket on the oem more than anything.
mine fit without any mods?

Reactions: BlazingTrails

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
coolasice said:
mine fit without any mods?
Well this is interesting. Come to think of it I put 6.5s in the rear of my buddy's envoy with the bose, the flat surface was wide enough that all holes mounted and the speaker was flush. No mods. I may have to look at mine again to see what I did. That was literally the second thing I did to the truck so it's been like 3 years.

Edit: mine are considered 6-3/4 so that may be the difference. [emoji13]

Daniel644

Feb 27, 2015
littleblazer said:
You want know what dremeling alot looks like, this is a lot of dremeling.

Attachments

• 0220152132.jpg
    0220152132.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: littleblazer

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Daniel644 said:
You want know what dremeling alot looks like, this is a lot of dremeling.
By comparison I didn't dremel much. [emoji13]

Sib

Sep 6, 2014
Ok so I was looking at speakers and took front and rear door panels off and the stock bose speaker is an 8" in the front and 5.25 in the rear.

Everything I've read said 6.5's in the front and some things have said 6.5 in the rear as well as 5.25 in the rear.

I was looking at 8" speakers for the front but the mounting depth is around 4.5 to 5 inches at the smallest. I am assuming I would need a spacer in order for it to fit? Am I correct in that, or should I get a 6.5" adapter for the front and the rear?

I went to best buy yesterday to look around a little and listen to a few speakers and they pulled up the trailblazer on their computer and it showed 6.5 in front and rear.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Non bose is 6.5" all around. The setup you have is correct for a Bose system.

In most 'what do I need to upgrade my stock sound system" threads, we always tell people to use the Crutchfield or SonicElectronix sites, as they will tell you what fits, what won't, what needs modifications to fit, and what adapters are needed to retain whatever features. If you are set on buying your gear local, at least use one of those sites to get model numbers of what you can use first, then cross reference with what your local store has. :twocents:

Reactions: Mounce and Sib

Sib

Sep 6, 2014
I have been to Crutchfield and all I saw was 6.5's and 5.25's. They didn't mention anything about 8's though. I know I need the bracket for the 6.5s. Just hoping I don't downgrade too much bass by going to a smaller speaker. I don't really want to get a sub because I use the back cargo area a lot, and I don't want to spend the outrageous amount of money for the speaker box that Crutchfield sells (or anyone else for that matter) that goes above the wheel well. I'll keep digging.

Thanks!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Worst case, you buy an 8" set of speakers of your choice and have to get creative mounting them.

If the screw holes don't line up, but still make it to the stock bracket, use some self tapping screws to secure it. Or take a sheet of ABS plastic to make an adapter ring of some sort. I have no idea how the Bose front speakers are held in place, so I can't say for sure. But we're all about modding stuff to make it work around here, so ain't no stinking speakers gonna stop the mod bug! :biggrin:

Reactions: Sib

Sib

Sep 6, 2014
I agree. I think I might end up getting just an 8" or 10" sub first and mounting it to back of seat. After I do that I will probably end up just adding some 6.5" in the doors.

I have so many mods going through my head now that the weather is breaking, all I can see is dolla dolla bills y'all. Something will happen soon tho.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Stereos are fun, just don't do a bose speaker replacement for your first time in 20 degree weather with 40 mph winds at night while using 6.5s all around. (my truck is the non bose for refrence, and my amp upgrade was done in a heated garage. My friends envoy has bose. :raspberry: )

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
CrutchField is pretty expensive. I have found cheaper prices on sonicelectronix.com.

Turk2, did you figure out if you have the Bose system or not? If so, are you planning on replacing the in dash speakers? I believe only the Bose setups came with the dash speakers. During my searches, it appears that only Infinity makes an aftermarket speaker for those which is 2.5".

Reactions: Mounce

Daniel644

Feb 27, 2015
dmanns67 said:
CrutchField is pretty expensive. I have found cheaper prices on sonicelectronix.com.

Turk2, did you figure out if you have the Bose system or not? If so, are you planning on replacing the in dash speakers? I believe only the Bose setups came with the dash speakers. During my searches, it appears that only Infinity makes an aftermarket speaker for those which is 2.5".
Agreed there are cheaper options then Crutchfield, but I would warn you to be careful when ordering online to make sure the store your buying from is an Authorized Seller of the brand your buying, Sonicelectronix is not authorized to sell several brands that they do, which basically means if you buy from them then you have NO WARRANTY with those brands, this has been discussed at length all across the internet, just google "Sonic Electronix Grey Market"

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Daniel644 said:
Agreed there are cheaper options then Crutchfield, but I would warn you to be careful when ordering online to make sure the store your buying from is an Authorized Seller of the brand your buying, Sonicelectronix is not authorized to sell several brands that they do, which basically means if you buy from them then you have NO WARRANTY with those brands, this has been discussed at length all across the internet, just google "Sonic Electronix Grey Market"
Good info. I believe this is why Sonic Electronix offers a 2yr-4yr extended warranty, at a cost, through the site. If they are not authorized to sell the product then they could not submit a warranty claim.

Knock on wood, everything I have bought from SE has been of good quality and no issues. I also pick up their warranty as well just to cover myself.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
No issues with Sonic on multiple purchases for past 5 years. Its my first place to look these days.

Reactions: Blckshdw

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online