Some of my concerns have come true !!

truck2trail

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
Almost two years ago, after i had just purchased my 2007 TB, and after I had joined our "ex-forum", I became concerned about the number of problems owners were experiencing, and listed in the "ex-forum", the problems that people had experienced:

1. Ignition Switch, 2. Front wheel bearings, 3. Dirty throttle body, 4. Stepper replacement, 5. U & L ball joints, 6. Sway bar links, 7. Water pump replacement, 8. Sun roof repair, 9. Fuel pump replacement, 10. Windshield wiper repair/replacement, 11. Fan clutch replacement, 12. Alternator replacement, 13. Other problems not mentioned ??

Sad to say, since then, I've had problems: 1, 2, 3, 5, the "gas gauge" sensor replaced, the serpentine belt replaced, and I purchased the idle pulley, but the whine went away after adjusting the belt, and of course the infamous cable break across the top of the hinge of the liftgate. Oh, and of course, my long term problems with the additional transmission cooler that was installed incorrectly !!

This is many, many, more problems in two years that I had in 12 years ownership of a Mercury Villager !!

But, you know what, I still like my Trailblazer !!! :crazy:

I'm hoping most of the major problems are behind me, as I hope to keep the vehicle for another 4 years at least. Am I being unreasonably optimistic ?!!! :undecided:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Well in all fairness you really can't be too mad at 2, 5, or 6 as those are standard wear items, and a lot of cars have alternators fail. Besides, I can think of other cars' lists that are far worse than that list is :lipsrsealed:

If it helps you any, my 2002 has 166k on it and while it has had a few of those go bad (2,3,5,6,12, and a few others not mentioned) it has over all been a solid truck and the powertrain is flawless. Over all they are well built, yes with a few engineering stupidity moments, but still good trucks.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Thats some bad luck. I've owned 3 of our platform and 2 presently and only the current Rainier has had any issues and it's only got 55k miles. They have included a leaky shaft seal I didn't even know was leaking and now the 'feels like youve been rear ended' situation. Luckily thats the one with a forever GMPP warranty with a zero dollar deductible on it. Given all the equipment and capability these things have, I've been happy with all three of them. My 9-7 was a total crap shoot I bought off the internet sight unseen except for pictures and I've driven it for exactly a year every day and only replaced the rear brakes and rotors. I explained to my wife how lucky we are that it turned out to be a good one and she responded that it's only 5 years old so it should be trouble free. She has no clue.

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
FWIW, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, and 12 are maintenance items, albeit long term ones, on most vehicles, and trucks in particular (mechanical fan).

Mike

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
truck2trail said:
Almost two years ago, after i had just purchased my 2007 TB, and after I had joined our "ex-forum", I became concerned about the number of problems owners were experiencing, and listed in the "ex-forum", the problems that people had experienced:

1. Ignition Switch, 2. Front wheel bearings, 3. Dirty throttle body, 4. Stepper replacement, 5. U & L ball joints, 6. Sway bar links, 7. Water pump replacement, 8. Sun roof repair, 9. Fuel pump replacement, 10. Windshield wiper repair/replacement, 11. Fan clutch replacement, 12. Alternator replacement, 13. Other problems not mentioned ??

Sad to say, since then, I've had problems: 1, 2, 3, 5, the "gas gauge" sensor replaced, the serpentine belt replaced, and I purchased the idle pulley, but the whine went away after adjusting the belt, and of course the infamous cable break across the top of the hinge of the liftgate. Oh, and of course, my long term problems with the additional transmission cooler that was installed incorrectly !!

This is many, many, more problems in two years that I had in 12 years ownership of a Mercury Villager !!

But, you know what, I still like my Trailblazer !!! :crazy:

I'm hoping most of the major problems are behind me, as I hope to keep the vehicle for another 4 years at least. Am I being unreasonably optimistic ?!!! :undecided:

Can I ask what your mileage is?..mine is an 07 and you're making me nervous:eek:

BTW my last suv was a Mercury Mariner Premier and I had two tranmission failures before 55K miles and I'm pretty anal about transmission maintenance,so I guess it's pretty much the luck of the draw ....I too love my 360...Mike.

xOgrex

Sep 17, 2012
truck2trail said:
8. Sun roof repair

I spent 12 years in the back end of car dealerships and I will never understand the desire to cut a large hole in a perfectly good roof. :wink:

In all seriousness, the most common problems we saw with sunroofs were worn out/warped tracks and clogged drain tubes (leading to water leaks). My attitude on sun roofs is that while they're great on nice days in the spring and fall, the potential problems aren't worth it.

Regarding the rest of the list, I've got 110k on my 03 TB LT and I've had to do 2, 3, and 12. The first 2 are essentially maintenance items and the alternator was replaced around 70k under my GMPP warranty. I did have to replace the trans cooler lines about 2,000 miles ago and that was due to the material breaking down due to age and heat. Other than some minor irritations (like excessive wind noise at highway speeds), I have to say that this truck has been a very reliable vehicle.

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
I have cleaned the tb a couple of times 3 and replaced the fuel pump 9 because the level sensor went for a shit. Other than that all is good with about 80k miles on it

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175

Members Online