Some new stereo upgrades

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Current:

Alpine 9857 head unit with Ipod

Stock Speakers

Pair of Alpine Type S 10" subs in truck box with el cheapo 15 yr old chrome 2 channel amp

So far on order:

PPI Components 6.5

PPI 270 Monoblock Amp

cheap 6.5 for rear doors

Wants:
Touchscreen head unit

maybe a different smaller box or different sub/subs

Juicy been helping me behind the scenes, but figured i would make a thread now that things are being ordered.

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
how much did u pay for the ppi components looking at some on sonicelectornix.com for 70 ish if you dont mind me asking

hayes

Oct 6, 2013
What are you looking for in a head unit? What phone do you have? If you have an iPhone, this is the head unit I really want. It does not have a CD drive, but you can connect your iPod to it, your phone to it. The radio uses the apps from your phone, so music, gps, etc etc. It's a sweet little setup.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Black_tb said:
how much did u pay for the ppi components looking at some on sonicelectornix.com for 70 ish if you dont mind me asking
Bout 50 on Ebay for same ones as sonic had.

hayes said:
What are you looking for in a head unit? What phone do you have? If you have an iPhone, this is the head unit I really want. It does not have a CD drive, but you can connect your iPod to it, your phone to it. The radio uses the apps from your phone, so music, gps, etc etc. It's a sweet little setup.

I will not own an Apple phone, but that is an interesting concept. I have a razr maxx and really like it. The head unit is probably gonna wait a bit, but need to research that kinda setup more. Not sure I could do without CD though since I listen to books on CD quite regularly and still buy music ones occasionally.

I did find some $18 6.5 inch hole fillers for the rear doors. I will debate on upgrading these once the rest is done.

I am trying to figure a safe place for the tweeters as I have mud on the A pillar and dash fairly regularly. Thinking maybe cut into the doors be just as good, but not sure what I lose in sound that way.

Also thinking of hiding amp behind a rear side panel.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Im revamping my setup as well. I dont think I'll be ready by the meet time, but for sure I'll have my rockford components in the doors by then. I too have about 15 yr old Kenwood amps that need upgrading. I love my American Bass subs and will be upgrading what I have now (which is basic entry level DX series 12's) to the XD series which are dual voice coil and going to either an American Bass 80.1 (1000W amp) or a 100.1 (1500W amp) for the new subs.

Looking forward to hearing your new setup at the meet Kyle :thumbsup:

hayes

Oct 6, 2013
HARDTRAILZ said:

I will not own an Apple phone, but that is an interesting concept. I have a razr maxx and really like it. The head unit is probably gonna wait a bit, but need to research that kinda setup more. Not sure I could do without CD though since I listen to books on CD quite regularly and still buy music ones occasionally.

I did find some $18 6.5 inch hole fillers for the rear doors. I will debate on upgrading these once the rest is done.

I am trying to figure a safe place for the tweeters as I have mud on the A pillar and dash fairly regularly. Thinking maybe cut into the doors be just as good, but not sure what I lose in sound that way.

Also thinking of hiding amp behind a rear side panel.

I won't get into the apple / android thing here. :raspberry: I actually like both platforms and have gone android - apple - android - apple. Click the link though, because there are some Android phones that are compatible in the same way.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:

I cannot remember the series I bought, but they were cheap. They get the job done, but I may have been happier with the next model up. From all of the headunits I have been through, unless you want to splurge on an Avic, or higher end Alpine or Kenwood your options are limited. I went with a Sony XAV-62bt for the last one and I will be getting the newest version for the avalanche. Full of features, built in bluetooth which makes Pandora streaming easy. While it is not one of the $500+ headunits, for under $250 I am more than satisfied.

View attachment 33020

hayes said:

There are a few companies in work on an Android one, however I would look into adding a tablet if I wanted apps.

Attachments

• 20130822_140326.jpg
    20130822_140326.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 18

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Boricua SS said:
Looking forward to hearing your new setup at the meet Kyle :thumbsup:

Been decades since I was into stereo really, but I got some crackling speakers to attend to and the bug mildly bit while looking. It wont be much to hear, but it should be something to keep me entertained.

blazinlow89 said:
I cannot remember the series I bought, but they were cheap. They get the job done, but I may have been happier with the next model up.
View attachment 20446

How do they sound mounted there? I thought of close to there as well. I imagine, just hole saw a spot and slap em in? I am only running them off a head unit as this is not the kinda truck I want to add more wires n amps to than what I got. I think they will do ok for that. I do have a Memphis 4 channel, but its just more than I really want or need to be trying to add it into the mix.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
I put my tweeters there as well. No issues at all. You are correct, just hole saw and plop um in. I run mine off my Pioneer 4300 and they scream!

2011-02-16152148.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:undecided: Audio mod bug just cracked an eye open. I've been wanting to put some components in my fronts for a while now. The 2 ways I have now are great when the windows are up, or I'm idling, but at speed with the windows down (which is all summer), I have to crank the volume to hear the mids and highs. With all the wires I've got crammed through the stock boots, I wouldn't want to try fishing another pair of wires through there for the crossover, so this mounting location would be perfect! :yes:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I like the location, and they sound good. My only complaint is that the install instructions called for a 2 1/8" hole. I went straight to that size, wish I would have went with a 2" and filed the hole as there is some room to move around. I also super glued the 2 piece mount so that it would not come apart.

I added some boom mat to the speakers and will be removing it as it made the bass muddy. Everything is ran off of the HU, it works for me and I have no plans to add subs or amps as of now.

Juicy K

Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
I have to say, the tweeters in front of the door handle look pretty good (better than I had imagined). Now I sorta wish my Vifa's would fit there.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
And all I'm going to do is put Polk's in all locations, including 3.5" in the dash. :frown:

Juicy K

Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
Matt said:
And all I'm going to do is put Polk's in all locations, including 3.5" in the dash. :frown:

Nothing wrong with Polk, I have been using the Db 6.5" Coax in my front doors for the last year. They were going to go in the rear and I was going to use the MM6.5 component set. But plans have changed, I am going active with "Raw" drivers.

I will say I like the highs better in the DB polks than my wifes Infinity Reference, the Infinity trumps them in bass response though.

24v 4.2

Jan 16, 2013
I'm about to order my components.
"Rockford Fosgate P1675-S 6.75" Punch Series Component System" for front and rear doors.
Am I better off putting the tweeters in the dash or door?

Also, Can I cut the rear 5.25 baffle to fit a 6.75?

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I don't remember cutting to fit the larger speakers in the rear, it required more cutting for the fronts.

As for placement that is up to you. I like mine in the doors, but some prefer the dash or a-pillars.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Sub amp did great to add to system but still have not got components in. Maybe it should be my project at meet

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhacohen

Members Online