So my Rainer got herself Into an accident

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
Today while at work I was about to close up. Then I hear a screaching and a loud bang and another bang...

I turn look out window see a car heading straight for my car.

So they hit a gaurdrail which my car was 2 inches from which hit and pushed my car

So I need some pro's advice....
Besides the bumper damage what might one expect from a car being hit from behind while in park??

I know transmission wouldn't really bit hit but maybe the drive shaft and all other stuff attached take some extra stress....... I did notice my vidbration is a lot worse now then before..

Well let.me know so I can get it checked by a good mechanic and send report to insurance. Thanks guys. BTW I have a video from work security feed and can barely see car but just snuff to see front licence plate move forward a good 6 inches to a foot. If wanna seeI'll post llink

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Basically here is what you do.

Send it to a few shops and get quotes. Say nothing about previous issues with truck. If you had previous unseen damage that you think might have been made worse with this accident then it is to your advantage to have the shop fix it for you along with the new damage. Only state that you now have "x, y and z" feeling and you think the driveline is messed up. The shops will quote accordingly.

However lets say the repair shop finds something else wrong when dismantling parts off the vehicle. For them it's a simple matter of sending over another estimate to the insurance company. At that point the insurance agency can halt the repair and have an adjuster look into it or just agree with the shop and continue with repair.

dfc739

Jul 29, 2012
Des Moines, IA
jeffro312 said:
I know transmission wouldn't really bit hit but maybe the drive shaft and all other stuff attached take some extra stress....... I did notice my vidbration is a lot worse now then before..

FYI- it's the transmission's parking pawl that keeps it from moving when you shift it into "Park". I agree with CaptinXL though. It won't be your insurance paying for it, so get a few quotes and see what the shops find. Be sure to tell them it got hit when it was parked and that now you feel the vibration.

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
CaptainXL said:
Basically here is what you do.

Send it to a few shops and get quotes. Say nothing about previous issues with truck. If you had previous unseen damage that you think might have been made worse with this accident then it is to your advantage to have the shop fix it for you along with the new damage. Only state that you now have "x, y and z" feeling and you think the driveline is messed up. The shops will quote accordingly.

However lets say the repair shop finds something else wrong when dismantling parts off the vehicle. For them it's a simple matter of sending over another estimate to the insurance company. At that point the insurance agency can halt the repair and have an adjuster look into it or just agree with the shop and continue with repair.

ok so i took it to a repair shop im quite good friends with owner,mechanic,and guy at the computer

so they drove my car around block and wrote up a quote to R & R rear bumper paint cleaer coat to match etc and for a new Transfer case state impact caused a crack in the tcase and needs to be replaced alll of this for a total ok 3200 or somewhere near there.

them doing this just because they know me and are fully aware of my non existant awd issue so im going to another buddy of mine who works at a tranny shop and see what he tells me.

anything i should seriously check into

the parking pawl how is that checked.. taking transmission apart?? would a symptom of that be when i shift from park to reverse it taking a bit to get to revers. or when i put it in park exessive roll???

dfc739

Jul 29, 2012
Des Moines, IA
jeffro312 said:
ok so i took it to a repair shop im quite good friends with owner,mechanic,and guy at the computer

so they drove my car around block and wrote up a quote to R & R rear bumper paint cleaer coat to match etc and for a new Transfer case state impact caused a crack in the tcase and needs to be replaced alll of this for a total ok 3200 or somewhere near there.

them doing this just because they know me and are fully aware of my non existant awd issue so im going to another buddy of mine who works at a tranny shop and see what he tells me.

anything i should seriously check into

the parking pawl how is that checked.. taking transmission apart?? would a symptom of that be when i shift from park to reverse it taking a bit to get to revers. or when i put it in park exessive roll???

If you can put it in Park and not have it roll anywhere, the parking pawl should be ok. The only symptom of a broken one would be it not holding Park. It's possible to crack it, but not overly probable. It can be checked by dropping the transmission pan and maybe the valve body. But if the mechanics didn't think to look at this, it's very low probability of being broken.

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
Alright then and any one confirm or deny the fact that getting hit from behind and car being move in park could possibly cause damage to transfer case making awd not work req new transfer case

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online

No members online now.