So I bought this radio...

Paul Bell

Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
For my 2003 truck with the Bose system, I bought the 2005-2009 radio modified with a 3.5mm input jack off ebay, "GMC Chevy Truck 2005-09 Radio AM FM 6 Disc CD Player w Auxiliary Input 15234935" sold by 1factoryradio.

Of course it plugs and fits like the original but of course it's locked out. Does anybody have a trick to unlock it?

_57_zpsp3rcgfes.jpg

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
First result I found said you have to take it to the dealer to get your vin programmed into it but there's a temporary fix that'll let it work for some time but unknown how long.

Hold 5, seek forward (one on the right) and then while holding those two, press the power button.

See of that works, I'll do some more looking though and see if there's another fix. I seem to recall that you can open the radio and remove a chip inside and it'll disable it's security allowing you to use it.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I'd contact the seller and tell them it is locked out and see what they say. Seems to me they should have either had it reset so it is "VIN-less" or provide some sort of support for that kind of issue.

Reactions: Capote and Mounce

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Sparky said:
I'd contact the seller and tell them it is locked out and see what they say. Seems to me they should have either had it reset so it is "VIN-less" or provide some sort of support for that kind of issue.
Hadn't thought of that. Good idea lol.

But here's a video talking about the temporary fix I spoke of in my other post and explains the chip removal. Apparently the radio will only work for 10 minutes with the temporary fix and you just might have issues after removing the chip if you go that route. Seems people have had various issues with removing the chip so I won't recommend it, it's up to your discretion, I would first contact the seller as Sparky mentioned. Just showing you possibilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eov0v0itnA0

-and after I posted that I see that the radios aren't identical so this might not even be an option for you. Sorry for overlooking that. :duh:

Paul Bell

Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
Thanks guys. The eBay page did note it would need dealer programing.

I was hoping somebody here had a trick.

The new unit has a seal from the seller and I don't wanna void the warranty.

I don't think these units can be programmed outside the vehicle, it looks that it pairs with the PCM for the VIN.

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
i have never heard of programming the radio outside of the truck. I don't think a dealer can do that. I've always heard of them doing it in the truck without having to take anything out. Of course it isn't free (when is anything at a stealership free?) but it will be programmed to your VIN and play all the time (granted it is a working unit). Before you foot the cost for it to be flashed, I'd ask the seller if that is what they need to have done and if doing that would void any warranty they have on the radio. They don't have to open the radio for this but you are modifying the radio in the sense it is taking the last persons VIN and replacing it with your VIN.

What I'm amused at is my 2004 envoy that is non-bose would let my co-workers 2007 BOSE envoy radio work just fine in my truck (it didn't have any sound because I don't have a bose amp or anything but it powered up and let me flip through the radio stations and play discs like normal) and didn't go into lock. Maybe it's something that only happens when the features are the same like a non-bose to a non-bose or a bose to a bose. I have no idea, just thought it was funny when I hooked his radio to my truck to try and get his discs out of the reader when he pulled the battery and it ate them like the older firmware versions of the radio are known for doing.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Programming would be done through obd port via tech2. Just like updating any other module.

Where you located, Paul? I know of 3 members that have tech2's and if you're close enough to one of them to swing by on sure they wouldn't mind hooking you up. One member is in New Jersey, one in Delaware, and one in Canada but I'm unsure of which province.

Paul Bell

Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
My buddy Joey works at JFK airport as an auto mechanic and readily has access to a Tech2. He'll be able to do it.

We've had good success accessing trouble codes and the BCM but we can't do systems tests like cycling the fan on & off.

Any GM Tech2 tool would need to have the Isuzu card installed in it to work my truck. There are ZERO Isuzu dealers within any driving distance that can access my truck with a Tech2. Joey's tool doesn't have the needed Isuzu card. We can access about half of everything after telling the tool it's a GMC Envoy. A Snap-On diagnostic tool can access more but can't initiate any changes or module programming.

Paul Bell

Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
Thanks for the video Mounce. It looks like there's some side effects that will be more than annoying and I don't wanna hack up my radio. I'll get around to having it paired.

I just wish there was a way to install these radios have instruct it to pair without having a GM dealership or somebody with the Tech Tool do it.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Paul,

Do you have the UQA code in the glovebox? (AKA "Premium Bose")

Matt

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
There is a free solution of you ate not scared to take it apart and remove a component. Search for the other thread on this exact subject and I posted how to fix it. If you can't find it Lmk and I'll find it. Use Google

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
BlazingTrails said:
There is a free solution of you ate not scared to take it apart and remove a component. Search for the other thread on this exact subject and I posted how to fix it. If you can't find it Lmk and I'll find it. Use Google
Same thing as the video I posted depicts, no?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I emailed that mob and they can actually do the work on your own radio if you send it to them. They can either add an AUX or bluetooth to it.

Paul Bell

Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
Sorry if I seem absent, I'm not getting email notifications for replies although it says I'm following it.

My friend Moosman, please confirm the card in the link you posted gets me an actual card for the GM TechII tool and it has all the needed Isuzu GMT360 stuff in it. It would solve this and a few other issues....

I saw a card before but it was a hundred bucks.

I'm not opening up this radio and hacking it nor do I want to send it off to somebody. Once it's paired, it'll be fine. I can live the few days until I get it done without the radio working.

Paul Bell

Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
Matt said:
Paul,

Do you have the UQA code in the glovebox? (AKA "Premium Bose")

Matt
Yessir, I have the UQA option.

Reactions: Matt

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Paul Bell said:
Yessir, I have the UQA option.
Thanks mate. As I said above, I contacted them and they said they can mod my radio, either Bluetooth or AUX. But it's good to know that I can get another one, already done, that'll work even though mine's an 02.

Paul Bell

Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
Somewhere here on GMTNation there was a disscussion about the earlier radios and the one I got on eBay was mentioned as "plug & play". Naturally, I can't find it now.

Gonna see if Joey can do this tonight without the card in the tech tool.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Paul Bell said:
My friend Moosman, please confirm the card in the link you posted gets me an actual card for the GM TechII tool and it has all the needed Isuzu GMT360 stuff in it. It would solve this and a few other issues....
I really don't know. I had bought a Saab card at the same time as the Tech 2 just in case and the 9-7x wound up being in the GM card. If it's not in the standard GM card, it might be in the Isuzu card. It's a gamble but a small one I think.

Paul Bell

Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
Well we tried and tried but couldn't access the systems. It looked close when we told the tech tool it was an Envoy XL but no dice. Still locked.

I trimmed off the two bolt tabs at the bottom of the center trim panel so I only need to drop the carpet ring under it and the panel pops off. No need to remove the floor console. I'm gonna swap the original radio back in until I get the card.

RedRocketZ28

May 16, 2014
Have you looked into doing the AUX mod to your old radio? I bought the jack from Radio Shack and have some CAT5 Ethernet cable laying around so I just need to find some time to do it. Wasn't sure you saw the posts on here or the TBSS forums about it. Either way, good luck with getting it going.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Paul Bell said:
Somewhere here on GMTNation there was a disscussion about the earlier radios and the one I got on eBay was mentioned as "plug & play". Naturally, I can't find it now.

Gonna see if Joey can do this tonight without the card in the tech tool.
You can use a 03-05 full size truck radio in ours to get an AUX input but they will need the VIN changed in them because of the security "thing"...even the plug and play ones.

Paul Bell

Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
RedRocketZ28 said:
Have you looked into doing the AUX mod to your old radio? I bought the jack from Radio Shack and have some CAT5 Ethernet cable laying around so I just need to find some time to do it. Wasn't sure you saw the posts on here or the TBSS forums about it. Either way, good luck with getting it going.
It was my understanding that it was impossible to add an input to the original early radios. There were even aftermarket harnesses but they were discontinued because they didn't work.

Matt said:
You can use a 03-05 full size truck radio in ours to get an AUX input but they will need the VIN changed in them because of the security "thing"...even the plug and play ones.
Yes, that's what's going on here. BUT I believe it's with 2005 and later radios.

Paul Bell

Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
No, it works with a XM radio which mine is not.

RedRocketZ28

May 16, 2014
Check to see if yours came pre-wired for XM. It will work if so. Also, if you have the rear seat entertainment you can make it work that way too.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Paul Bell said:
It was my understanding that it was impossible to add an input to the original early radios. There were even aftermarket harnesses but they were discontinued because they didn't work.

Yes, that's what's going on here. BUT I believe it's with 2005 and later radios.
I added a hardwired FM modulator for Sirius on mine, but yes, no AUX on the 02/03 radios. You can use an iSimple FM mod for hooking your MP3 player or phone through our older radios, but I like the one that you got a lot better.

Paul Bell

Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
RedRocketZ28 said:
Check to see if yours came pre-wired for XM. It will work if so. Also, if you have the rear seat entertainment you can make it work that way too.
No, these early radios don't have XM features.

Curious-how would an input be done through the rear audio panel? It has two headphone outputs each with individual level control but no input.
panel_zpsa34ecogi.jpg

RedRocketZ28

May 16, 2014
You would need the rear DVD system. Sorry, I should have clarified.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The Aux connector mod only can only be done on radios that say "Band", not "AM/FM". Those would be the ones that allow an XM connection.

It is possible that the 2005+ radio may not work with the earlier Bose amp. I know for sure that the 2002 was an oddball year and no other radio will work. 2003 might also be. If you plug in the radio and just put power to it on Aux ignition key, it should work but will lock out as soon as you power the engine.

I think the Bose setup went from analog to digital at some point so that might also prevent it from working on earlier models.

Paul Bell

Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
Mooseman said:
I've been trying all day to "join" this website, register so I can make a purchase. It looks to be setup just like ebay.

I'm not getting the registration confirmation email so I can proceed.

All the forces of the universe are stopping my radio from working.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Mooseman said:
The Aux connector mod only can only be done on radios that say "Band", not "AM/FM". Those would be the ones that allow an XM connection.

It is possible that the 2005+ radio may not work with the earlier Bose amp. I know for sure that the 2002 was an oddball year and no other radio will work. 2003 might also be. If you plug in the radio and just put power to it on Aux ignition key, it should work but will lock out as soon as you power the engine.

I think the Bose setup went from analog to digital at some point so that might also prevent it from working on earlier models.

Absolutely right about the band button.

03-05 full size truck radio with the Y91 code will work with our early models, so some, at least, will work.

The 05+ will not work with our early models. And yes, Bose went from the good analog amp to the not as good digital amp in 04 or 05...that's really the reason why it won't work.

Paul Bell

Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
I used a very old but still working email address to register and it worked. I'll have the card in a week. Or month. Or six months. Or in never. We'll see, I'm suspect of this Asian marketplace. Everything they offer looks like dubious knock-offs. What would be a seven thousand dollar touring amplifier is like six hundred bucks.

Reactions: Matt

Paul Bell

Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
Matt said:
Absolutely right about the band button.

03-05 full size truck radio with the Y91 code will work with our early models, so some, at least, will work.

The 05+ will not work with our early models. And yes, Bose went from the good analog amp to the not as good digital amp in 04 or 05...that's really the reason why it won't work.
This has me concerned. The thread I glommed the info from said it would work. *sigh*. We'll see.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Paul Bell said:
This has me concerned. The thread I glommed the info from said it would work. *sigh*. We'll see.
From everything I looked at back in the trailvoy days, it's the amp difference that is the issue, if it's coming from another Trailvoy.

You can use the 03-05 Full size truck radios that came out of something with the Y91 or Y92 (our Bose Premium equivalent) code. ie: Escalade, Yukon etc.

Paul Bell

Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
I'll give this a go later this week.
GM%20Card_zpspjljjut3.jpg

Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online