Snowstorm!

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
The warnings here in Columbus were for up to 10 inches, though they've reduced that amount again but added "a glaze of ice" on top. Nice. I loaded up the webcams around the city to look at the road conditions just in time so see someone spin out and almost get nailed by a semi truck and a few other passing cars :eek: Boss said stay home unless we have to go out someplace, so I'm staying put. I was tempted to go find a large lot and play in the snow, but I don't need my already-cranky power steering to quit on me so I'm resisting the urge.

I may grab some pics later on. Right now there's only about 3 inches out there so not too impressive looking, but it is still coming down. What I think isn't helping the road conditions is the temperature. It is 30 degrees out there so this is the really heavy, wet, slick snow.

I know some of you guys west of here got nailed a little harder. Stay safe.

mapanch

Dec 2, 2011
Sparky said:
The warnings here in Columbus were for up to 10 inches, though they've reduced that amount again but added "a glaze of ice" on top. Nice. I loaded up the webcams around the city to look at the road conditions just in time so see someone spin out and almost get nailed by a semi truck and a few other passing cars :eek: Boss said stay home unless we have to go out someplace, so I'm staying put. I was tempted to go find a large lot and play in the snow, but I don't need my already-cranky power steering to quit on me so I'm resisting the urge.

I may grab some pics later on. Right now there's only about 3 inches out there so not too impressive looking, but it is still coming down. What I think isn't helping the road conditions is the temperature. It is 30 degrees out there so this is the really heavy, wet, slick snow.

I know some of you guys west of here got nailed a little harder. Stay safe.

Keep updated with what you got. I'm East of you, so I'll get it later. So far we have about 2 inches, but its wet, heavy and slick. They are saying 4-6 here. Of course the plows have been out all week (IN THE DRY) but now there is snow, haven't seen a single one and I live on the main drag in town.

dingle

May 26, 2012
We are under the blizzard warning here in Marion. My boss called me last night and told me to stay home. I went out for about a half hour and had some fun in the Saab.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
im here up north right off the lake in Lorain County... we are getting hammered right now... visibility is about a block to a block in a half at most... snow blowed the driveway once, but that was pointless... by the time i was done, came in and ate luch, the driveway was full again... the snow is falling about an inch an hour... i went to the gym this morning around 10ish because i knew the storm was coming... and even that was too late.. the storm hit right at 11am like the metorologists said (which is shocking lol).. but by the time i left the gym, there was already about 2 inches on the ground... factor in the blizzard conditions, 30mph wind gusts... ive got 7-8" drifts in my driveway and yard already... they said it supposed to snow here until about midnight... so we'll see... im off until friday, so there really isnt a concern for me to head out anywhere...

this pic was taken at 1pm... i have a full grown 100lb German Shepherd.. and you can see that the snow is almost hitting her chest...
20121226_1505400.jpg

20121226_163712.jpg

and as you can see my driveway marker, that everything is completely covered again...
20121226_163727.jpg

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Just snapped this picture from my back window, where my vehicles are parked. There is an alleyway in front of them. It is still snowing but should be mostly over, so I'll be going out shortly to brush off the truck so I won't have near so much to clean up tomorrow morning.

Attachments

• IMG_0154.jpg
    IMG_0154.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 15

mapanch

Dec 2, 2011
I'm ~130 miles East of Sparky on I-70. We had rain, snow, sleet, rain, snow.

This is all we had today. My neighbors Tundra that he hasn't "dug out" yet.
View attachment 25588

And my 5 yr old Golden Retriever out in the back yard. Snow is barely over her feet.
View attachment 25589

Attachments

• image(6).jpg
    image(6).jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 1226121745.jpg
    1226121745.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 14

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
well so far we have only been hit with around 16 of the 24"+ we were predicted to have by midnight... I am sure my picture in the morning will be a different story.
Here is a picture out my front door and for reference that is a 3 foot fence and I did not cheat and snowblow snow onto it ...my snowblower is under repair still :sadcry:

View attachment 25590

Attachments

• 2012-12-26_18-09-27_270.jpg
    2012-12-26_18-09-27_270.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 15

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
the roadie said:
Not by anybody who's lived through a REAL blizzard, such as New England 1978. (Our daughter and thousands of other babies were born 9 months later.) 30" straight-up snow. 8' drifts in my driveway.

that must of been the same storm of '78 that hit Ohio too... Ohio's happened on January 25th, and ended January 27, 1978.. That Blizzard killed more than 50 people in Ohio and caused at least $100 million in damage... My father tells me about this storm all the time... he laughs at all this snow that we (my brother and i) think is so amazing... he tells me "son, this aint $#!+ compared to '78"...

the worst ever i've experienced was about 5 years ago... it took 4 people and 5 hours to shovel me out of my driveway (i didn't own a snowblower yet).. i had 5' drifts in my drieway... first time in my life that i had to call off due to weather conditions...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Blizzard_of_1978

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
Sparky said:
I loaded up the webcams around the city
Buckeyetraffic? For the Ohioans here... Buckeye Traffic

the roadie said:
Not by anybody who's lived through a REAL blizzard, such as New England 1978. (Our daughter and thousands of other babies were born 9 months later.) 30" straight-up snow. 8' drifts in my driveway.
I remember that one. Ohio didn't get it as bad as the N.E. states, but it was still bad.

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Yup that's the one.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I had just bought my first 4x4 ,a new GMC PU and rescued the whole family from their work places.That period was the most fun that I've ever had owning a FWD,never seen anything like it since,although looking out the window tonight:undecided:..Mike.
[video=youtube;m-gRb_MuUgg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-gRb_MuUgg[/video]

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I hate this weather. :hissyfit::no:

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
the roadie said:

We didn't get nearly as much snow (12"), but it was 40mph winds, dry snow, and 2"/hr for about 4 hours before it tapered off to 1"/hr for the next 4 hours or so. It was blizzard driving conditions for a few hours, but without the week-long dig-out.

Mike

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
You guys are lucky, we got about 3" of rain and 40mph winds just in time to get secure SAR for the night. Got pelted with sleet and heavy rain, 3 rd time my boots have had 1/4 water in them.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
We got about 8 inches on top of a thin layer of ice by me. Just lifted the Red level driving restrictions so I could go to work and find out that I either use vacation time or unpaid leave for the 1.5 days I missed since it was Illegal for me to drive through multiple counties between my home and work. Government at its finest.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696

Members Online