smoothed/painted dashes

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Can anyone post some pictures of an envoy/tb with a painted dash. even smoothed and painted? thanks alot.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:undecided: This post by Craig is the only painted dash I remember seeing somewhat recently.

FlyingFischer said:
6493d1328892294-plasti-dip-what-other-accent-334524_10150767689526164_643976163_12413113_1368079037_o.jpg

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Did he paint the actual dash at all? The gray part? I'm wanting to paint mine black no gloss.

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Also do u know if there are any how to threads on entire dash removal? I'd love to know what I'm getting into before I pull it out. Thanks man

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The soft vinyl part is harder to paint, and will peel and/or crack. I think you can buy vinyl dyes or something like that, don't know if anyone has gone that far. No how-to's on full dash removal posted here. I know Roadie has a pic that he posts every now and again from when he did his.

Are you familiar with using torrents and VMWare player at all? If so, you can download a VMWare image of a GM service manual DVD. I posted this in another thread, can be useful. Of course, if either of those things makes you :squint: or :stars: or feel :weird:, then forget I said anything about it... :raspberry:

Blckshdw said:
44 files is a lot to download, 1 at a time :ugh:

I went hunting for a torrent, to see if anyone made one. Didn't find that exact dataset, but did come across something similar. I'm downloading this now, and will play with it a bit more tonight if it finishes downloading. (not many seeders)

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Yeah I know exactly what u are talking about lol I am a computer tech. I hope dash removal isn't crazy hard or something because it would seem as if nobody has ever done it. I will be using an sem dye/paint for the vinyl.

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
eutechnyx said:
Yeah I know exactly what u are talking about lol I am a computer tech. I hope dash removal isn't crazy hard or something because it would seem as if nobody has ever done it. I will be using an sem dye/paint for the vinyl.

roadie has taken dash off in a couple hours

Scott_mcd

Jul 29, 2012
Just did this last week. Duplicolor makes a vinyl/fabric paint. I got it at auto zone. I'm thinking about painting my dash next.

View attachment 22657

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346883340.884273.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346883340.884273.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 333

bagdvoy

Nov 19, 2011
I've taken the dash out of a Trailblazer and my Envoy. It's not that difficult. You will want to remove the steering wheel if you want to make it come out easier.

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
Scott_mcd said:
Just did this last week. Duplicolor makes a vinyl/fabric paint. I got it at auto zone. I'm thinking about painting my dash next.

View attachment 9063

i wouldnt do the top of the dash white it will show on the windshield just put a piece of white paper up there

Scott_mcd

Jul 29, 2012
Black_tb said:
i wouldnt do the top of the dash white it will show on the windshield just put a piece of white paper up there

I was talking about the plastic trim pieces.

xj2202009

Mar 27, 2012
To take the dash apart is not hard at all, start unscrewing at the bottom, and work your way up, don't forget the one screw by the cigarette lighter, then drop the steering wheel to lowest position, pull the panel out of the well, once you have it wrapped around the steering wheel, put the key in ignition and rotate to first position hop the panel over the ignition switch and is out, btw, there are stickies on how to, look for head unit replacement.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
i think the op is talking about the whole dash. ie the top of the dash

cmatb08

Jun 3, 2012
Blckshdw said:
:undecided: This post by Craig is the only painted dash I remember seeing somewhat recently.

That looks good my wife and I were just talking about doin this but having a shop do it

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Craig (aka flyingfischer) Rhino-lined/LineX'ed (cant remember which one) his dash in that pic. Since liner isnt smooth, he didnt smooth the dash first.

I havent pulled the whole dash before, but I can get the front side off in 10-15min tops.

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Well it makes me feel better to know someone has pulled the entire dash before. I will be doing this eventually and will be using sem paint for sure.

bagdvoy

Nov 19, 2011
Do you want to have it smoothed or just change the color? Do what I did when I changed my interior to black, just buy a black dash. Looks way better than trying to get a good color match from the paint. If you want to smooth the dash get one from a junk yard and have it done. In fact I have two dashes in my basement right now for Envoys. One is my original gray dash and the other is one I pulled from a junk yard for $50 that's a darker gray. If I decided to paint my dash I'll just do it to one of those so I don't screw up my nice new black dash.

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
If they make an entire black dash I'd just buy one but only problem is I cannot find a jy that has an envoy lol.

bagdvoy

Nov 19, 2011
I was lucky to find one close to me. Got the whole dash with the heater core for $300. Couldn't pass it up. Have you looked on car-parts.com to see if anyone has one somewhat close? They are hard to find, only came in 05-up. I also got black Saab door panels for mine, I got those for next to nothing on Ebay.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
eutechnyx said:
Looks like alot of envoy denali models came with black interior.

My dash is black, I love the black interior but don't like the light grey on the upper part, roof and plastic trim panels beside all the windows. They should have made the whole thing black.

There is a pic of my interior on thread "one (1) cargo cover for sale"

bagdvoy

Nov 19, 2011
My dash in there now is black. I used to have the light gray in there

bmartinezx3

Apr 6, 2012
when i got my bumpers color matched i asked the guy about doing the dash and he quoted me at $100 to paint the gauge/radio trim, ac vents, and air bag to the factory color of my truck. thought it was a good price, then i'd add some pinstripe on the air bag :cool:

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
I think people are confused with dash trim with the actual dash lol. I was wanting to paint the ENTIRE dash,I am still planning to do this I just have to figure out which route im going to take. Id almost prefer the stock black dash,panels etc over painting mine.

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
I just painted my interior all black (from Grey) I did everything, dash, doors headliner. Came out pretty Damn good too imo, I used the dupicolor fabric paint.

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
THERE WE GOOOOOO. Thats what ive been looking for. can i see some door panels pics etc? how well do u think it will hold up and what was your prepping technique? thanks ALOT!

Joey71

Jun 5, 2012
eutechnyx said:
THERE WE GOOOOOO. Thats what ive been looking for. can i see some door panels pics etc? how well do u think it will hold up and what was your prepping technique? thanks ALOT!

I didn't paint, I replaced to the black one.. I have replaced all the plastics, door panels, center console, complete dash, rear seats from cloth to leather..only need the front seats to change to leather I even changed the complete carpet..

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Joey71 said:
I didn't paint, I replaced to the black one.. I have replaced all the plastics, door panels, center console, complete dash, rear seats from cloth to leather..only need the front seats to change to leather I even changed the complete carpet..
Im sorry i mis quoted on that lol I didnt realize it was the other guy that did the paint. So pulling the dash wasnt too bad? I cannot find any envoys in any local jys here. I would love to find a full black envoy,id snag everything that money would allow lol. main thing being dash,door panels because my seats are being done custom anyways.

Joey71

Jun 5, 2012
eutechnyx said:
Im sorry i mis quoted on that lol I didnt realize it was the other guy that did the paint. So pulling the dash wasnt too bad? I cannot find any envoys in any local jys here. I would love to find a full black envoy,id snag everything that money would allow lol. main thing being dash,door panels because my seats are being done custom anyways.

eBay, Craigslist is very helpfull.. I have been doing my conversion since like April and a little here and a little there till I find what I'm looking for.. I had 3 door panels for like 1 1/2 months..till I found the last one..it's a challenge but if your in it you find it..

WarGawd

Sep 2, 2012
Blckshdw said:
The soft vinyl part is harder to paint, and will peel and/or crack. I think you can buy vinyl dyes or something like that, don't know if anyone has gone that far. No how-to's on full dash removal posted here. I know Roadie has a pic that he posts every now and again from when he did his.

Are you familiar with using torrents and VMWare player at all? If so, you can download a VMWare image of a GM service manual DVD. I posted this in another thread, can be useful. Of course, if either of those things makes you :squint: or :stars: or feel :weird:, then forget I said anything about it... :raspberry:

Just wanted to chime in and add my 2 cents - torrent d/l took a couple hours yesterday (10 seeders, 5 leechers), I installed it today in ~20 min, and I've been happily exploring since (VMware indicates an update is available, I have not downloaded it). Flawless under 32-bit Vista SP2. Also even though the reference was to a 2008 update, I see a bunch of 2012 copyright statements, not quite sure what to make of that.

Regardless, tyvm Blckshdw, a very helpful post :smile:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696

Members Online