smell and MPGS :(

bigytwotone

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Dawson creek BC Canada
hey guys need some help i have just got back to driving my truck after being in the hospital and physio well the truck runs great but smells horrible and gas mileage sucks
just had the thermostat changed with a working one and all the fluid changed what else do you need to know for me to try and fix this truck??

Thank you in advance for all the help.

Bigy :smile:

Wex

Dec 4, 2011
Is the vehicle allowed to fully warm up or just used in short hop type of errands.

jeffro312

Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
im not a mechanic but on previous cars when i had a problem with it running rich like that was due to a faulty O2 sensor but that was a 00 lexus rx300 just figured id ad that in. atleast sensors for these are a fraction of the cost for the lexus think i paid 250 for one o2 sensor good luck

Lima Tango

Dec 4, 2011
Do you have any way of observing the behavior of the o2 sensors, air fuel ratio, etc? I can see all that with a cheap ELM327 bluetooth OBDII device and the Torque app on my phone. It would help to diagnose with that info. Going in blind, I would start with inspecting for fuel leaks around the tank, lines, and injectors; cleaning the throttle body; and changing the o2 sensors.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Hypnotoad said:
Fuel smell could also be a bad fuel filter.

A bad fuel filter would just get clogged. A rich smelling engine means to much fuel is being burned. The fuel filter would be ruled out in this case. That is unless the fuel filter was on fire and burning fuel.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
My advise....Don't light any matches or cigarettes near the truck until it's fixed....Have you checked for any fuel seepage/leaks?

jeffro312

Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
bigytwotone said:
well the good thing is i don't smoke lol

where would i get one of these bluetooth obdII things??? and i have an Iphone what would i look for to get the app.???

do a google search for the bluetooth unit... also the app is called torque

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
I don't think Torque is for iPhone. There are similar apps for iphone. I believe Rev is supposed to be a good one.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Nothing on iPhone will work through Bluetooth as Apple would not allow serial connections. If you absolutely need something to work with an iPhone, look for ELM327 that works over wifi. eBay is the usual place for these things. That's where I got mine but shipping from China might take a while. Running it rich like that will kill your catalytic converter.

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
Mooseman said:
Nothing on iPhone will work through Bluetooth as Apple would not allow serial connections. If you absolutely need something to work with an iPhone, look for ELM327 that works over wifi. eBay is the usual place for these things. That's where I got mine but shipping from China might take a while. Running it rich like that will kill your catalytic converter.

So happy I never got into Iphones they really are over rated IMO but anyways. When my CPAS started going bad my TB did the samething yours is. It wasnt for quite some time that it tossed a code.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
I would also check the exhaust backpressure. Running rich for too long with a bad tstat will coke the catalytic converter.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
These apps aren't very cheap and they don't have the best reviews

PhotoOct0781155PM.png

PhotoOct0781130PM.png

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
Yeah sounds bout par for course as far as Iphone goes. Yet one more reason why I love NOT using an Iphone.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
These apps aren't very cheap and they don't have the best reviews

PhotoOct0781155PM.png

PhotoOct0781130PM.png

My buddy used to have Rev a few years ago and thought it was pretty good. It looks like from the reviews it isn't very good anymore and suffers from not having an update for a couple years. That's a shame.

akvanden

Oct 8, 2012
CaptainXL said:
Running rich is probably the FPR.

I would agree with this. Look at your fuel pressure regular. There is a vacuum hose that goes into your air resonator. I just pulled mine the other day to replace the spark plugs and my resonator was full of gas..... that means gas is going everywhere. My garage smells like gas and I can get a slight hint of it in the cabin too....

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online