Slow Pump

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
This is related to my other post, but it's a whole separate funny story so I'm going to start a new thready for it.

I needed to reset my TPMS sensors. So I pulled all four valve cores out of my tires. In seconds, my truck was low riding inches off the ground.

Then I grab my new 12v air pump that santa got me off amazon this christmas. It claims it can do a 195/65R15 tire from 0 to 35 PSI in 5 minutes. Well our tires are bigger than that, but how much bigger volume? double? Triple?

So I start pumping up the first tire and long story short, it took about 35 to 40 minutes to pump up the first tire.
It took 50 minutes to pump up the second tire.

Then I called my buddy and had him rescue me with his air compressor. He filled the last two tires in about 3 minutes.

I couldn't believe how slow this thing was. And it has 4.5 stars with 7,000 reviews! It does have a digital gauge and stops when it hits the PSI you set, which is very nice. But its kind of useless if it's going to be THIS SLOW.

And of course its 28° out, middle of winter. It was daytime when I started but freezing cold by the time I was done. It was too late and cold to even try doing the actually re-learn of the TPMS sensors. UGH some repairs really resist fixing.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Which one was it? I have this Ryobi that I use a lot while towing the camper as I'm religious about checking tire pressures and also use it to air up my air shocks. Since I'm already heavily invested in Ryobi tools and batteries, it fit right in.

It's been good however due to heavy use, the screw-on chuck is starting to leak, especially when airing my shocks to 150 psi.

I also had their cheaper handheld one however, it was a PITA to use as it was trigger controlled and couldn't run it for more than 15 minutes or it melted the rubber line, and was sloooooow, so it melted that line multiple times. It's now in the landfill.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nadmak

Members Online