Slightly damaged sway bar end link boot during installation.

LouisTB

Original poster
Apr 12, 2016
Tampa, FL
Since it was my day off I thought I'd replace the front and rear sway bar end links and bushings. I was finishing up the front and trying to torque everything back to what my manual says. Well my wrench got stuck between the rubber boot and flat nut of the upper part of the end link when I torqued it down. So eventually I get it off and I'm inspecting my work when sure enough I find a very small gouge in the rubber boot :Banghead:. Now its a pretty small gouge probably not even a centimeter wide. I was able to push the rubber back into place. Think I should order another one or just run with this till it fails?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Is it through the boot or just surface?

I'd probably just run it. Worst that will happen is it will wear early and make noise.

LouisTB

Original poster
Apr 12, 2016
Tampa, FL
I'm pretty sure it's through the boot, cause when i was poking it back into place, the tiniest amount of grease came out. The only reason I'm not immediately ordering another one is because of how small the hole is. I would include a picture but I don't think It would be even visible with out look at in person :/.

LouisTB

Original poster
Apr 12, 2016
Tampa, FL
Is it through the boot or just surface?

I'd probably just run it. Worst that will happen is it will wear early and make noise.
Do you think if I spread abit of permex black rubber sealant around the tear it would possibly fix it?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Sealant certainly wont hurt

Sir ffeJ

Dec 1, 2011
got pics?

gmac310

Dec 4, 2011
If I remember right, the end links I got from Napa some time ago had a small, square hole actually molded into the boots. I figured it was just so you didn't overfill the joint with grease. Weird!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chriswilson5585

Members Online