serious crow-hop and bind

3rd

Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
2002 trailblazer LS 4x4

I have a 2002 4wd trailblazer with very low milage and I'm the original owner. I get no engine warning lights but this problem originally occurred while attempting to back-up in 4lo. I had no choice. I had parked it in 4lo due to the fact that we got blasted with snow and to get into my spot I had to have it in 4lo. Previous to this, I drove around the parking lots to make sure that 4hi and 4lo worked. I shifted to 4lo by-the-book then went and parked. Next morning as I tried to back out my truck began to crow-hop and bind which freaked me out. It felt as if it beneath my butt or very close to it. Sat there and turned the switch to 4hi while in neutral-no luck, then awd-no luck.
I had no choice but to back up enough that I could drive it forward over a median and out of the parking spot. I could go forward just fine, tried 4hi,awd,and 2hi. It backed up just fine in 2hi so I left it there and drove maybe 350 miles total from day to day but the issue happened again out of the blue while starting up in 2hi and backing up. I got out of it the same way as before. Several days later I drove into a torrential rainstorm with puddling on the highway I switched from 2hi to awd without issue. When the storm abated I switched back to 2hi, drove maybe 10 miles home, parked it in 2hi and now the crow-hop and binding has returned while trying to back out right after I start it up. I immediately stopped at the first sign and it has been parked for a 5 days as I systematically try to diagnose it following several guidlines on here.
Mind you, I am not a mechanic so I really don't know where to start other than what I've gleaned from trailvoy.com but if I read and watch a video on what to do or how to replace a part I can do it laying on my back on a driveway, truck on jacks with 2 feet of clearance above me.
I get no warning lights. I have dropped all of the fluids which only have 22,000 miles on them. : tranny front and rear differentials, and transfer case. All were fine. The tranny fluid was still red but it smelled a little burned. The transfer case switch works. There were no metal shavings when I dropped any of the fluids.
I did the self-check from please read me before making a post on trailvoy.com. The listed issue which I have is that the front left wheel turns as does the front drive-shaft when the truck is on jacks and the switch is in 4hi, ignition on but truck not started. Step 3 seems to me to have a conflicting issue as to whether or not it is a front axle disconnector an internal transfer case failure. Could anything this radical have happened as a result of parking my truck in 4lo? Seems to me that there could be something much simpler and less invasive which has failed but for the life of me I don't know how to repair it, the logical order to begin a systematic check, or where to look. I have a chiltons manual which is pretty much useless. I mean, this issue came out of nowhere.
Aren't there steps in between, simpler ones, which I can perform first? And if I need to check whether or not a part is getting an electric signal, how do I do that?
For the first time in 2 years I've not been in recovery from an orthopedic surgury whereby I'm totally disabled. I can accomplish tasks and I can do anything suggested but it takes me a lot longer.
Long post but I'm really stuck here.
Thanks.
Bikerider
The Response: I've already gone through these checks and passed.

1) have you changed the transfer case fluid (even though you have low mileage)?
2) is the Service 4WD light on in the dash?
3) do the 4WD selector switch lights work correctly (short period of flashing then solid when switching modes)?
If there is no Service 4WD light on and the switch lights are behaving correctly, I can only assume the problem is most likely at the front disconnect. This area is not well lubricated and can become bound up.
I suggest posting your problem at G M T N a t i o n . c o m / f o r u m s (no spaces), most of the experts from here went there.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
It should hop on dry pavement if 4x4 works.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Good morning and Welcome! Glad you got the hint that we all moved here in 2011 to continue the non-profit volunteer mission of the site that was destroyed by new owners at trailvoy.

You certainly posted a LOT of good information for us to help.

In general, the electronic and control parts of the system are working fine if you get the expected light indicators on the mode control switch, and no "Service 4WD" light on the dash. 2002 trucks were notorious for having flaky TCCM (transfer case control modules) that would quit communicating with the PCM, and then you would end up with ZERO lights on the mode switch after the initial one second period where they all flash as a lamp test. And the "Service 4WD" lamp would come on in the dash.

So you might have sticky or failing mechanical parts. Any time you have crow-hopping, the system is effectively in 4HI or 4LO mode when you are commanding 2HI. Never use A4WD mode. It's silly and useless, and carries a risk of damaging the transfer case.

The front axle disconnect might have congealed grease inside after that long, no matter what the mileage.

Good theory of operation and rebuilding instructions here on our sister web site offroadtb.com
http://www.offroadtb.com/articles/tech-docs/front-axle-4wd-disconnect/

Here's a theory of operation for the transfer case:
http://www.offroadtb.com/articles/tech-docs/transfer-case-tech-the-nvg-226-np8-theory-of-operation/

That said, it's almost impossible for you to have crow-hopping in 2HI mode unless you have two faults - the disconnect has to remain connected, and the transfer case has to be locking the front and back driveshafts when you don't want them to be connected.

If you needed 4LO to get into your parking, then I have to assume the pavement was slippery. A short time in reverse in 4LO, even if the pavement was dry enough to cause crow-hopping, shouldn't break anything unless it was about to break anyway. Pre-2005 transfer cases had a weak internal bearing support that has been reported to break under the abuse of A4WD mode, but that usually disables the transfer case, and you have a situation where it's operating when you don't want it to.

For further experiments at the moment, can you confirm how it behaves right now in 2HI mode? Crow-hop or no crow hop? Do you get the one second light flash at ignition on, and then only one light on the mode switch and that's 2HI? And no "Service 4WD" lamp on the dash?

If you move the switch to A4WD with the engine off, do you hear two motor sounds - one short and low-pitched (the transfer case encoder motor), and the other one higher pitched and about 2 seconds duration (that's the front axle actuator)? And then if you move the switch from A4WD to 4HI, do you hear ONLY the low pitched noise?

If you have it in the air, and in 2HI mode, do all four tires rotate at idle in gear?

3rd

Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
Thanks so much for the advice. Before I try these suggestions I have to fix 2 slow leaks in the transmission cooler lines and we are having torrential rain. When it dries enough to splice in a patch I will respond. I was hoping that worse case scenario it wouldn't be a major fix but I have a feeling it will be. I had read about the pre-2005 transfer case flaws. Thing is: I hardly ever use awd but I regularly make sure to drive in longer stretches in 4hi and short ones in 4lo just to keep them active.

Thanks again for the quick and detailed advice

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online