Secondary air pump, who has the lowest price

mrm143

Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
All prelimanry (sp) tests are pointing to the actual pump being bad
Where have you guys and gals found the cheapest price for them?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Junkyards, Ebay, Rockauto, local parts stores, on-line GM parts sources, dealer, in ascending order of cost.

mrm143

Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
the roadie said:
Junkyards, Ebay, Rockauto, local parts stores, on-line GM parts sources, dealer, in ascending order of cost.

Found the only local part store to have it in the area, 225 isnt too bad.
Thanks again

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
mrm143 said:
Found the only local part store to have it in the area, 225 isnt too bad.
Thanks again

Really? I see them for $90 with free shipping on ebay

mrm143

Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
the roadie said:
And there's never an emergency need to replace the SAIS pump. It can be safely deferred while you wait for parts.

Well it's already out LOL
I connected it direct to batt and all i got was a huge voltage drop from battery, and sparks, so I am assuming its fried LOL, didnt even try to move
On my way to parts store now....

I like to fix things asap LOL, its the wifes car and we know how that goes LOL

And I did pull the hose from check valve last night, and got the god awful noise out of the checkvalve nothing from the hose

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
mrm143 said:
Well it's already out LOL
I connected it direct to batt and all i got was a huge voltage drop from battery, and sparks, so I am assuming its fried LOL, didnt even try to move
On my way to parts store now....

I like to fix things asap LOL, its the wifes car and we know how that goes LOL

And I did pull the hose from check valve last night, and got the god awful noise out of the checkvalve nothing from the hose

Mine has been out for a few months. Its an emisions thing mandated by the EPA, but does not affect the way your truck runs at all. My check engine light is on, but other than that no difference. Now that it is spring, I'll order the part, wait 3 or 4 days for it to arrive, and save the extra money, no point getting robbed for a non-vital part

Mine is my wife's too, and if she'd like it fixed faster, she knows she is more than welcome to pay for the part and crawl under there herself.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I am just going to have the code deleted when I send my pcm in for a re-tune

mrm143

Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
SBUBandit said:
Mine has been out for a few months. Its an emisions thing mandated by the EPA, but does not affect the way your truck runs at all. My check engine light is on, but other than that no difference. Now that it is spring, I'll order the part, wait 3 or 4 days for it to arrive, and save the extra money, no point getting robbed for a non-vital part

Mine is my wife's too, and if she'd like it fixed faster, she knows she is more than welcome to pay for the part and crawl under there herself.

Its all said and done now...
Mechanic told me it CAN effect the cat for some reason, not sure why, so figured fix it now, and not worry bout it

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Interesting...Mine has thrown the 0411 code for over a year, randomly, and have seen no negatives other than the dash light.

mrm143

Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
Interesting...Mine has thrown the 0411 code for over a year, randomly, and have seen no negatives other than the dash light.

I am by mo means a mechanic, but I was getting the huge voltage dip on startup which was the computer trying to turn on the fan, so that was making the lights flicker and bothered the wifey, so I changed it out

I was also getting the rotten egg smell from the cat, so called mechanic, and he said that the SAIS could effect the cat, and a few other things, but figured I would fix it to stop the lights from flickering, and not have to worry about it later....

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
My pump still runs, just something wrong in the rest of the system. Makes sense that it voltage would dip if the pump was locked up or something.

mrm143

Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
mrm143 said:
I am by mo means a mechanic, but I was getting the huge voltage dip on startup which was the computer trying to turn on the fan, so that was making the lights flicker and bothered the wifey, so I changed it out

I was also getting the rotten egg smell from the cat, so called mechanic, and he said that the SAIS could effect the cat, and a few other things, but figured I would fix it to stop the lights from flickering, and not have to worry about it later....

Premature Cat failure is what he said.... the mechanic

HARDTRAILZ said:
My pump still runs, just something wrong in the rest of the system. Makes sense that it voltage would dip if the pump was locked up or something.

Pump was frozen solid ran direct power to it, and NADA.... Ran power to the new one and it spins like hell lol

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
mrm143 said:
Premature Cat failure is what he said....
I don't see a huge risk. Much more chance of damage for a deferred P0128 thermostat repair (that gives you days, weeks, or months of excessive richness) than the 30 second start-up richness of a dead SAIS. Put that mechanic on probation for a while, and check with us when he recommends stuff. :undecided:

mrm143

Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
the roadie said:
I don't see a huge risk. Much more chance of damage for a deferred P0128 thermostat repair (that gives you days, weeks, or months of excessive richness) than the 30 second start-up richness of a dead SAIS. Put that mechanic on probation for a while, and check with us when he recommends stuff. :undecided:

LOL, all that matters to me is the wife is happy and for most of us, we all know how that goes

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
I am just going to have the code deleted when I send my pcm in for a re-tune

I was planning this route as well. My pump spins just fine (hear it most cold mornings), but there was always a lot of water in the system whenever one of the shops took a look at it. Other than the pollution-control for the first few seconds of a cold start, is there anything else this unit actually DOES? Would there be a safe way to just remove the unit from the vehicle (once the pcm has been told to ignore P0410) and save the extra weight?

MedicatedMike

Feb 24, 2012
I hate asking questions in other people threads, but one of Roadie's last comments really interested me. Im awaiting my new scan tool with live data to arrive so I can aquire some data and better knowledge before asking about my richness problem. It seems to be only prominent or most prominent when vehicle is first started. So this air pump being bad can cause richness at startup Roadie? If you remove it entirely....will it still have that rich startup? :undecided:

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
I think the startup richness is by design. Have you ever noticed how incredibly fast our vehicles warm up? Even on the coldest mornings, I have warm air within the first block or two. The computer tries to get the engine up to temperature as fast as possible, and the only ways you can do that are by running the engine hard, or dumping in huge amounts of gasoline.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online