Ruthenium spark plug

Dmflash

Original poster
Dec 16, 2021
Canada
I'm about to do a tune up and was wondering if anyone has tried the NGK Ruthenium plugs on their 4.2 ? If so do they live up to their claim of more horse and better fuel economy? .

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Probably not. Our trucks seem to favour the Delco 41-103 iridiums for the 4.2.

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
The acdelco plugs are made by NGK. The design is more than two decades old. Maybe these new ones from the company are improved - I can't imagine them being any worse than the OEM plugs.
The NGK part# is LTR5AHX. I would suggest that if you need plugs, you should try them:lightbulb:
And give us a report of the results!

If I didn't change my plugs 2500 miles ago, I would do it.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
This engine is VERY picky about its spark plugs. I'd stay with the Delco 41-103 iridiums or NGK equivalent. As for difference in performance, probably meh. It's like the difference in lighting a BBQ with a match or a lighter. Both will still cook your steak.

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
Just my 2 cents worth: The iridium plugs last 100,000 miles with zero problems. They are a bit costly, but with their longevity they are worth every penny (provided they aren't bogus knockoff plugs). When I was younger plugs didn't have a chance to last that many miles, so not "worrying" about them for 100k miles is nice. So I thinks: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. And the iridium plugs aren't broke (but subject to making us broke at the cost of them )

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Just my 2 cents worth: The iridium plugs last 100,000 miles with zero problems. They are a bit costly, but with their longevity they are worth every penny (provided they aren't bogus knockoff plugs). When I was younger plugs didn't have a chance to last that many miles, so not "worrying" about them for 100k miles is nice. So I thinks: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. And the iridium plugs aren't broke (but subject to making us broke at the cost of them )
Agreed, but they're not that expensive, $8 from Amazon.

The plugs for my SS Commodore back home were $25 each in 2002...I needed 8.

• Wow
Reactions: xavierny25

nnorton44

Aug 5, 2021
Indiana
The acdelco plugs are made by NGK. The design is more than two decades old. Maybe these new ones from the company are improved - I can't imagine them being any worse than the OEM plugs.
The NGK part# is LTR5AHX. I would suggest that if you need plugs, you should try them:lightbulb:
And give us a report of the results!

If I didn't change my plugs 2500 miles ago, I would do it.
Hmm those may be worth a try, $8 on RockAuto

FitsTrailblazer Base Model; Gap 0.050"
orTrailblazer EXT; Gap 0.044"

Is that correct?

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
FitsTrailblazer Base Model; Gap 0.050"
orTrailblazer EXT; Gap 0.044"

Is that correct?

I can't imagine the 4.2L uses different gap in SWB vs. LWB. If it did, people could just gap at the EXT spec for "more power". LOL

The 'EXT' spec must be assuming the V8 is present.

Reactions: nnorton44

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
One of the cheap brands on RA has these gaps, which doesn't make sense. And it's not because of the V8 as it uses another plug part number so I have no idea where this is coming from.

In any case when using Iridium or Ruthenium plugs, the gap should not be adjusted as indicated.

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
In any case when using Iridium or Ruthenium plugs, the gap should not be adjusted as indicated.
Heed @Mooseman 's warning...

You WILL break the electrode if you attempt to adjust the gap as if it were an ordinary plug. Genuine (because there are counterfeits) Iridium and Ruthenium plugs never need gapping as they are pregapped from the factory and shipped with a plastic or cardboard collar that prevents the gap from closing during shipping. If the gap is closed or the collar looks damaged, return the plug. Iridium and Ruthenium electrodes are extraordinarily brittle and will pretty much shatter like glass if you apply mechanical forces to them.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
Gapping can be done on any plugs without touching the electrode with the proper tool. Having said that, it should not be required if the plug was spec'd properly (ie. not "fake3") for the target vehicle.

nnorton44

Aug 5, 2021
Indiana
According to NGK the 90220 LTR5AHX Ruthenium are pregapped to .043" so those should require no adjustment?

This is interesting:

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Gapping can be done on any plugs without touching the electrode with the proper tool. Having said that, it should not be required if the plug was spec'd properly (ie. not "fake3") for the target vehicle.
To gap them, you'd have to put a feeler gauge in there to measure and that is where the risk of breaking them lies. And with those Ruthenuims with skinny electrodes on both, you might get them out of alignment. As @TequilaWarrior said, if the gap or electrodes look off, return it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online