Rust Prevention from Eastwood

xtitan1

Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
The thought of my chassis slowly being eaten away by rust due to heavy New England road salting crews keeps me up at night. Is there a DIY solution that will 1) treat the rust already underneath the vehicle and 2) something that will hopefully prevent it from happening in the future? The rust on mine is not terrible (meaning surface rust only as far as I can tell, not structural damage).

I saw this infomercial thing on YouTube:

[video=youtube_share;ALpAnx-t1so]http://youtu.be/ALpAnx-t1so[/video]

I've heard of people spraying stuff like that, but I'm not sure how effective it actually is, and I'm worried I'm going to spray it somewhere it ought not to be sprayed and jam something.

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
The Eastwood products seem to get good reviews from the people who use them. As far as the TB frame is concerned, I think there are a number of products that would have the desired effect. POR-15 is the products a lot of people recommend, but it's expensive. some of the Eastwood alternatives would probably work well.

Prep the chassis by removing as much surface rust as possible using a wire brush or needle scaler, then apply the product. You may also want to consider a treatment for frame internals. They make an aerosol for this, but I don't always trust the application effectiveness of aerosol products. I bought their kit for frame internals, which includes a schutz gun and 2 heavy duty flexible spray lances....I spray WaxOyl into frame internals very easily and effectively with this setup.

Dave. :smile:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Check out Chassis Saver

Cable810

Dec 5, 2011
What Kyle said. I painted my rear axle with it 3 off-road trips since its been painted and it hasn't chipped or come off.

xtitan1

Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Checked out both Por15 and Chassis Saver. These definitely look like good products. The only thing I'm worried about is applying the stuff somewhere it ought not to go. Any tips on that?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Don't put it there.

Cable810

Dec 5, 2011
I had to brush mine on... how can you even get it anywhere else but where your brushing it...

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
xtitan1 said:
Checked out both Por15 and Chassis Saver. These definitely look like good products. The only thing I'm worried about is applying the stuff somewhere it ought not to go. Any tips on that?

If you're working with a paint product, then brushing it on like the others have mentioned is an easy way to control where the paint is applied. If you are going to spray the paint then take the time to mask off areas where you don't want the paint to go with newspaper.

The Waxoyl product I have been using is a general undercoating, so I have no worries about any overspray as such. Should it hit something like body work then I simply wipe it off. It's not harmful to rubber or paint, it just leaves a waxy layer behind.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online