RPM Variations and Slight Loss of Power Usually 50-60 MPH

Campforlife

Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
Intermittent, usually between 50-60 MPH (but also at freeway speeds) I sometimes get a slight drop off in RPMs and the feel of a slight loss of power. Then back to normal RPM and power. It is a back and forth cycle with less than a second between changes. You can hear the engine power and see the RPM loss and then back to normal. It has been getting a bit worse over the past month. We are leaving for our annual Christmas dog and pony show, traveling about 2K miles over the next month so I'm getting a bit worried about it.

I've made certain that it is not user error in the gas peddle. When I hear it coming on I make sure my foot is completely still and have engaged the cruise to make sure as well. Still happens.

Not throwing a code. I have a code reader and Torque App.

Ideas?

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Campforlife

Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
Sorry for the delay. We've been caught up in a lot of traveling for state football playoffs, transporting kids etc...

No it is not the AC. It is off. I bought the TB used 4 months ago so the maintenance history is not available.

It feels to me like the cycle begins with a drop in power (RPM drop) vs. a surge in power (RPM increase)

Any ideas? Torque converter was one guess here by a guy at the shop. Sounds expensive.

Campforlife

Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
After doing some more looking I've noticed that torque converter clutch issues will also cause a shutter when coming to a stop. Been having that problem too.

Can anyone confirm or offer another direction?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramblinjon

Members Online