Rotating noise coming behind from dash area. What is it?

Dshow

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Hi,
I have a 2003 Chevy TB LT with ~ 109K miles on it. Lately, there has been a strange, rotating sound coming from the behind the cluster. The noise starts as soon as power is applied, but before crank. The noise continues while I start and drive. It does not change frequency with engine speed or vehicle speed...

It's just a nuisance now, but wondering what it could be and if I can fix it without replacing the cluster...

I've uploaded a video of the sound... (make sure your sound is on.)
Rotating sound from cluster area...

Thank you!

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Hi,
I have a 2003 Chevy TB LT with ~ 109K miles on it. Lately, there has been a strange, rotating sound coming from the behind the cluster. The noise starts as soon as power is applied, but before crank. The noise continues while I start and drive. It does not change frequency with engine speed or vehicle speed...

It's just a nuisance now, but wondering what it could be and if I can fix it without replacing the cluster...

I've uploaded a video of the sound... (make sure your sound is on.)
Rotating sound from cluster area...

Thank you!

My first thoughts are most likely a failed HVAC actuator. There are 5 of them, 3 on the drivers side. However, when my failed it wasn't so much a pulsing sound as your is.

Reactions: Dshow and Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
My thought too but it's usually a clicking noise but maybe if it's really worn, the gear just grinds.

Pull the HVAC fuses and see if it stops.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dshow

Dshow

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Thank you! I'm familiar with the actuator clicking sound... I had an actuator issue and replace 2 actuators a few months ago... (The defrost and the one near it.) It doesn't sound like that clicking... but, it wouldn't surprise me if they were making a noise. I will try to disconnect the actuators I can easily get to and see if that impact the sound. Thanks.

Update: I just went out and and disconnected the two actuators I replaced. The top one is the defrost and the other hi/lo vent routing(?). Anyway, it's the hi/lo vent actuator the is making the noise. I left that one unplugged. Now to see if there is any warranty on those actuator. They're a PITA to get to...

Last edited:

Dshow

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
It's a little easier if you remove the plastic duct. There's a push-in fastener at the left end of it.
Unfortunately... I did remove the plastic duct (but did not remove the connectors from the panel with the OBD connector on it.) Anyway, my near 60 YO body does not contort the way it used to... :smile:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online

No members online now.