Robotics

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
So when I first toured my son's middle school, I was pretty disappointed there was no "shop". No wood shop, no metal shop. Nothing.

Turns out I just misunderstood what the "technology center" was all about.

This is what they do in shop in middle school these days.

[video=youtube_share;rmV2bgBVHwQ]http://youtu.be/rmV2bgBVHwQ[/video]

This is my son's robotics team .. they are fifth graders, so their robot is still pretty simple. Still, they had to put it together from scratch out of a parts bin. Check out the robot on the right at the end of the video clip. That's not even half as crazy as some of the robots kids who have been in the program for several years are doing.

I'm "coaching" the team, putting my auto mechanics experience to good use.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR

Attachments

• tumblr_m5kwqhx6XF1r96fbno1_500.jpg
    tumblr_m5kwqhx6XF1r96fbno1_500.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 3

peepod2727

Nov 14, 2012
At my high school we have a robotics class and I'm on the robotics "team" as well. My school has been doing it since 2006. We entered our state competition every year and we've won Rhode Island every year and been to the world competition twice (2009-10 and 2011-12 games). It's a lot of fun and looks good on college apps! It's great to have your kid in it, especially if they are interested in fields like engineering, programming, etc. I've wanted to be an engineer since I was like 8 and robotics only makes me want to pursue it more!

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
peepod2727 said:
At my high school we have a robotics class and I'm on the robotics "team" as well. My school has been doing it since 2006. We entered our state competition every year and we've won Rhode Island every year and been to the world competition twice (2009-10 and 2011-12 games). It's a lot of fun and looks good on college apps! It's great to have your kid in it, especially if they are interested in fields like engineering, programming, etc. I've wanted to be an engineer since I was like 8 and robotics only makes me want to pursue it more!

Nice!

We've got the Vex system. What are you guys using?

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
We did the FIRST robotics competition when I was in high school, about 9-10 years ago. It was a lot of fun and it was a great way to teach a lot of skills with on project. I preferred the dirty work, metal work, drive train and structures fabrication. I will also say the big money sponsored groups Rolls Royce, NASA, Northrop, Lockhead. Some had mobile machine shops in trailers, specialized engineers and ridiculous robots. It was nice to beat the New England guys and with their massive sponsorships, and aeronautical engineers, kids dad got pissed.

peepod2727

Nov 14, 2012
6716 said:
Nice!

We've got the Vex system. What are you guys using?

We do FTC so we use the Trtrix parts. I think only the the younger groups still use Vex.... if I remember correctly.

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
peepod2727 said:
We do FTC so we use the Trtrix parts. I think only the the younger groups still use Vex.... if I remember correctly.

Yeah I was talking to one of the high school students who was helping out the middle schoolers. I don't know what system they use, but he was telling me they fabricate some of their own parts, as well. So I think the Vex around here just goes through middle school.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696

Members Online