Reverse to drive stalling

NT1078

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Hi All,
Since owning my Envoy I have had this annoying and potentially dangerous problem:
I back out of my drive way.
Shift from Reverse to Drive.
Rev's drop, shutters and the engine dies.

It will start back up again, from Park to Drive and Park to Reverse it takes off no problem, this seems to happen only from a Reverse to Drive transition.

I have tried feathering the gas a bit while shifting, but I don't want to "clunk" it harshly into drive.

Oil, and plugs are recent. I have run fuel injection cleaner through it, been running premium unleaded as of late, no improvement.
Throttle body was cleaned earlier in the summer.

Thanks all for your assistance!

Adam

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
whats the transmission fluid situation

NT1078

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Transmission fluid and filter was serviced under a year ago.
I cleaned the throttle body earlier in the summer hoping the problem would go away and it has not.

It should be mentioned this doesn't happen all the time, it is sporatic and will do this neat trick either cold or warmed up.

Adam

NT1078

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Transmission fluid and filter was serviced under a year ago.
I cleaned the throttle body earlier in the summer hoping the problem would go away and it has not.

It should be mentioned this doesn't happen all the time, it is sporatic and will do this neat trick either cold or warmed up.

Adam

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
But do you completely stop before shifting from reverse to Drive? If not that puts a higher load on the engine briefly, which sounds to me like you may have a vacuum leak somewhere causing it to idle too low or have an incorrect fuel trim. is it hot or cold or random when it happens?

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Coming to a complete stop before shifting into Drive is important. Some car makers have even included this in their owners manuals, edit: that not coming to a complete stop may cause the engine to stall.

I agree with Blazing. Check out the intake and come to a complete stop, maybe it is that simple?

NT1078

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Yes, I do come to a complete stop. It did it at least three times today. The revs drop to about 500, it shudders, then stalls. I will try to capture this behavior on video and share. Thanks for the replies thus far.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesussaves