Retained Accesory Power? RAP

adum12

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Hello adding an amp to my 2002 trailblazer. After digging around I haven't found a good answer as to how to get a retained accesory power signal for my amp. I ended up wiring it up to Ignition swithced source for now. But would still like to figure out where to get the RAP signal. Anny help would be great.

Also unrelated to RAP

Has anybody any experience with Jl Audio 12w3 or Kicker solobaric L5? Having trouble deciding on a sub. Going to add a single sub. 12" in a sealed box.

jeffro312

Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
By rap I'm assuming you mean the blue remote wore to signal amp to power on??

If factory radio you best bet is tapping into a fuse under rear seat that turns on with ignition

I'll go further and advice adding a switch in line with this so you will be able to turn amp off

Reason o say that is in my Rainier anyway if I turn volume down all the way occasionally the amp will go retarded and start to humm loudly because no audio signal but still getting power. With a switch can eliminate this issue.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
The RAP signal is on the data bus, you may be able to purchase a module that can read/provide RAP to the amp.

If you have an extended truck, they went cheap on the 2 rear quarter vent windows. RAP, for these windows, was provided the old fashion way........ they used a relay.

Relay #22 in the rear fuse block. Maybe you could tap into that. If you have a short truck (providing vehicle info could have saved me a little typing, haha), maybe the relay can be added.

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
Are you using an aftermarket radio? If so (you should anyways) you can just use the remote lead off of the wiring harness. Then the amp turns on and off with the radio.

djez015

Jan 28, 2013
go kicker if you want a good hard low end bass go jl if your looking for a clean bass sound im more a kicker fan myself but i had it all before and sold them all before

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
djez015 said:
go kicker if you want a good hard low end bass go jl if your looking for a clean bass sound im more a kicker fan myself but i had it all before and sold them all before

+1 on this. My friend had 3 jl 12"s in his Tahoe and they sounded very clean and tight. On the other hand, I had 2 kicker comp vr2 12"s in my TB and it pounded so much harder than his. We both had the same Rockford fosgate amps also.

Mikey J 23

Mar 31, 2012
willn513 said:
+1 on this. My friend had 3 jl 12"s in his Tahoe and they sounded very clean and tight. On the other hand, I had 2 kicker comp vr2 12"s in my TB and it pounded so much harder than his. We both had the same Rockford fosgate amps also.

That is why I was looking for the remote lead.

I have two Kicker subs (comp series 10") in a bandpass box. Running from a 1400w RF amp connected to an Audio Control Lc6i system. I had kept the factory HU cause I had a Bluefusion system hooked up that worked perfectly for me and the audio control system cleaned up the sound nicely to better than most aftermarket.

Now I believe its time to switch the head unit out. Looking at the Pioneer FH-X700BT. Nice clean factory look and all the features I would need. Thanks for all the input, really helped with my decision.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696