Replacing rear air conditioner lines in TB EXT

bfrench

Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Found leaks on both sides of the air condition lines going to the back of the vehicle.

They seem to be on top of the frame.

Any one ever had these replaced or did it themselves???

Thats on the 2005 TrailBlazer EXT 5.3 engine.

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
bfrench said:
Found leaks on both sides of the air condition lines going to the back of the vehicle.

Somewhat common for "rustbelt" vehicles.
I have read posts that owners have found and installed vehicle specific high pressure hoses that have the proper connection blocks for bolt on install.
The aftermarket hoses (instead of rigid pipe) allow for snaking through the original routing of the lines without removing body from frame.

Indybp57

Jan 9, 2012
bfrench said:

Did you come up with a good solution for this? I have the same problem on my '05.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I blocked mine off and don't miss it (never really had it since getting the truck). Not worth the money, work and aggravation to fix it IMHO. Even if using the flexible hoses, which apparently aren't that flexible, it would cost at least $400. I used this:

[EBAY]170699933645[/EBAY]

Just one thing I neglected to do when I converted mine to a single system is I didn't replace the orifice tube. The original one (gold I believe) is for the dual system whilst I should have swapped it out for a white one. It still works, just takes some time to cool down.

jstrut

Jul 31, 2013
My 04 envoy XL had a leak in one of the line going to the rear ac but luckily it was right in the wheel well area on the passenger side. The place i took it put a splice in the line and charged me like $150, but i don't know how accessible the hoses are for you. Well worth it and makes it nice for the kids sitting in back in the summer time. Cools down way faster.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Not really but they seem to just make their own custom hoses. I wouldn't think it's any better or worse than others. There might be a local shop that can do the same thing. The eBay seller I posted does the same thing.

Indybp57

Jan 9, 2012
Well after much dithering I ordered the full length replacement hoses. We really like our TB and plan on keeping it a few years so I hated to start skimping on repairs already. So we'll see how it goes.

wagnewvt

Apr 29, 2012
Just ordered a set also. Was debating about spending the extra $140 for the low pressure line versus just the high pressure line (for 180 + 20 shipping) from streetrodguys.

Since I phoned the order in, I got free shipping.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you could post your experience in installing them, would be useful for others contemplating this job.

jackovictory

Jul 26, 2014
Finally installed the rear a/c block off plates today on my 02 Ext. Bought them from Auto Cooling Solutions last year. My 06 Ext had recently developed a leak on a rear line, and I needed to fix one of these vehicles pronto. Since I was going to have to fix both vehicles, I bought an a/c manifold set and vacuum pump from Harbor Freight. The install of the blocks was simple. And charging the system was fairly easy; I watched several videos on Youtube.

I bought both replacement lines for the rear air from Auto Cooling Solutions for the 06. I'm wasn't sure which line had developed the leak, high or low, so I bought both. We attempt to install tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

My only complaint about my EXTs is the choice or thickness of the material used in several tubes used for the mechanical systems. On my 02 I've had a trans line go bad (so I replaced both) as well as power steering lines (again both) and finally the rear a/c lines. And now the rear a/c on my 06. I know the culprit for all of these failures is the road salt from the winter.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I still don't understand why they don't use stainless steel on things like brake and tranny lines. I understand that they have to use aluminum on A/C components but, like you said, they could be a little tougher. Probably a revenue generating scheme on parts.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696

Members Online