Replacing Front "Side"-Marker Lights?

SEMIJim

Original poster
Apr 13, 2013
Hi All,

Just noticed, when hitting "lock" on the keyfob this morning, that the driver's side front "side"-marker light is out. (By this I mean the one with the vertical amber lens.) Is this difficult to replace? I popped the hook and took a quick look when I got to work this morning. Looks like the bulb is right there at the top?

Jim

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Yeah, the socket is right there at the top of the assembly. Same old twist and pull design. Depending on how
dexterous you are you might be able to get it out without taking the headlight assembly out,
or at least loosening it. I didn't like how little clearance I had for the entire socket and lamp, so I took my
headlight out.

And if you haven't already looked it up, it's a #194 bulb.

Good Luck!

Chris

SEMIJim

Original poster
Apr 13, 2013
Thanks for the confirmation, guys!

Follow-up Q: Loosening/removing the headlight assy: Anything I need to know, or will it be fairly obvious?

I've got big hands and long fingers. I may or may not be able to get 'em in there well enough to twist (CCW to remove?) that fitting out and back in.

Jim

SEMIJim

Original poster
Apr 13, 2013
Well, neither my wife, with her smaller hands, nor I, with my longer fingers, could get in there to twist that lamp holder out. So it looks like the ol' "remove the grill and pull the headlight assy" process.

Not a maintenance-friendly design, G.M.!

(I did, however, manage to unplug the thing :crazy:.)

Jim

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
SEMIJim said:
Well, neither my wife, with her smaller hands, nor I, with my longer fingers, could get in there to twist that lamp holder out. So it looks like the ol' "remove the grill and pull the headlight assy" process.

Not a maintenance-friendly design, G.M.!

(I did, however, manage to unplug the thing :crazy:.)

Jim

It doesnt take too long, just a few clips. If the headlight has never been removed though, you might need some wd-40 on the release slider.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
DDonnie said:
It doesnt take too long, just a few clips. If the headlight has never been removed though, you might need some wd-40 on the release slider.

I use the shaft of a screw driver as a lever, to pop the outside sliders up. :twocents:

As many times as I've had my headlights out over the years, I'm surprised they are still so snug. The inside ones pop up easily. :weird:

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
Blckshdw said:
I use the shaft of a screw driver as a lever, to pop the outside sliders up. :twocents:

As many times as I've had my headlights out over the years, I'm surprised they are still so snug. The inside ones pop up easily. :weird:

I had to use a pry bar once it was so stuck, that was on my ext tho. Never had the problem with midnight.

SEMIJim

Original poster
Apr 13, 2013
I kind of wondered if it wouldn't be a good idea to spray the catches/tabs with something to ease (dis)assembly. If the fasteners are all metal-on-metal, I guess WD-40 would be good. Otherwise I'd tend to try Armor All or a silicone spray.

Jim

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
SEMIJim said:
I kind of wondered if it wouldn't be a good idea to spray the catches/tabs with something to ease (dis)assembly. If the fasteners are all metal-on-metal, I guess WD-40 would be good. Otherwise I'd tend to try Armor All or a silicone spray.

Jim

I would try it first tho, no sense in making a mess if you dont have to.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
While you have them out, you might as well throw in some 194 LED bulbs. That way you will never have to change them again.

SEMIJim

Original poster
Apr 13, 2013
Well, I did it :wootwoot:

I was kinda thinking of just letting the dealership handle it, then thought "you never know unless you try." So I got up out of my easy chair, grabbed a couple sizes of screwdriver, and had at it.

Horsing the grill off is the tricky part.

Replaced both of them, while I was in there.

dmanns67, I need to study the LED thing before I'll be comfortable doing that. I wanted to get this fixed, before I ended-up with Yet Another Fixit Ticket.

I gave each of the clips a shot of silicone spray lube before I put the grill back on. Hopefully that'll let it come off a bit more easily next time. I know it slipped back on a lot more smoothly than it came off :smile:

Jim

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
dmanns67 said:
While you have them out, you might as well throw in some 194 LED bulbs. That way you will never have to change them again.

SEMIJim said:
dmanns67, I need to study the LED thing before I'll be comfortable doing that. I wanted to get this fixed, before I ended-up with Yet Another Fixit Ticket.

One thing to note with most 194 LEDs, depending on how you orient the bulb, you won't have the full functionality. You can have either turn signals during the day (pretty useless actually) or parking lights, and flash off turn signals at night due to their polarity. If you search for them specifically, you can find non polarized LED bulbs, but they are a rare breed. :twocents:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
SEMIJim said:
dmanns67, I need to study the LED thing before I'll be comfortable doing that.

Blckshdw said:
One thing to note with most 194 LEDs, depending on how you orient the bulb, you won't have the full functionality. You can have either turn signals during the day (pretty useless actually) or parking lights, and flash off turn signals at night due to their polarity. If you search for them specifically, you can find non polarized LED bulbs, but they are a rare breed. :twocents:

Below is a link to the 194 LED bulb I have been using for years. I also have complete functionality with this bulb. VLEDs also offers dual polarity LED bulbs so they will work either way. I have never seen non polarized LEDs before. Are they the same thing as dual?

AMBER 3 CHIP 5 LED LIGHT BULBS 194 168 158 2821 | 1 PAIR

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online